Is 19'x13' too small for a HT build? Newbie needs help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a new home with an unfinished 2400 sq. ft basement. The way I divided it up leaves me with a 19' x 13' room which has 9' ceilings.

Can I do a HT build with those dimensions or is that cutting it close?

Other option is a simple large LED/Plasma with surround system and big couches and forgo the full out HT build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Plenty big enough - 2 rows of 2 recliners or 2 rows of 3-4 tradditional seats

You've got another 2.5ft on our space - which is ideal as you can move the back row off the wall (= good thing)

Where is the door located?

Here is something to consider

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #3 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 92
My room is roughly 12-6"x19' so you should be able to make it work with some planning. I vote for the full HT build. Leave the plasma in your family room.

Post a sketch of your room and you will get lots of feedback. I have a floor plan posted in my thread if you need a place to start.
post #4 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
Yep, 19x13 is just fine. Design the room around the number of people who will be using it on a regular basis. Depending on your seating needs (number of people) you may have to adjust the kinds of seats you have in mind, but 19x13 will definitely work.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

You've got another 2.5ft in our space - which is ideal as you can move the back row off the wall (= good thing)

At 13' wide, it might be a little tight for 4 recliners in the front row. In a 12'-6" wide room, I could only fit 3 with steps on either side of the end seats. I think 3 is better because it gives you a "money" seat right in the middle. No problem fitting 4 seats in the back, but they will be pretty close to the back wall in a 19' deep room, at least when reclined.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You've got another 2.5ft on our space - which is ideal as you can move the back row off the wall (= good thing)

the door is currently located in the corner of the room on the 19' wall. Having said that, the framing is the only thing that has been done in the basement by the previous owners. I could easily move things around if need be.

My only real restriction is available square footage. The area I have to work with is 19x13....I probably could get away with adding a maximum of 2-3 feet in length bringing the room to 22 x 13 max.

I thought I would first assess how feasible this idea was from a space and cost standpoint and then consider paying for plans as you suggested.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

At 13' wide, it might be a little tight for 4 recliners in the front row. In a 12'-6" wide room,

Typo - I meant 2 rows of 2 (4 in total)

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #8 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwilliams View Post

....I probably could get away with adding a maximum of 2-3 feet in length bringing the room to 22 x 13 max.

Bigger the better! but you really want the door on the long edge IMO, having it at the back is a PITA

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #9 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

the door is currently located in the corner of the room on the 19' wall. Having said that, the framing is the only thing that has been done in the basement by the previous owners. I could easily move things around if need be.
My only real restriction is available square footage. The area I have to work with is 19x13....I probably could get away with adding a maximum of 2-3 feet in length bringing the room to 22 x 13 max.
I thought I would first assess how feasible this idea was from a space and cost standpoint and then consider paying for plans as you suggested.

Post the layout (even a sketch is fine), including the space 'outside' the theater. We'll be able to give you plenty of suggestions on layouts.

If you do have the option to add another 3 feet, do so - space is premium!
post #10 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Bigger the better! but you really want the door on the long edge IMO, having it at the back is a PITA

Why don't you like the door in the back of the theater? I always design with the door in the back, when possible.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
My HT is part of my tandem garage. It's 11'x17' w/9' ceiling. I extended the wall out a little further so it's right next to the door going outside. The door is at a 45 degree angle. When you walk in the second row is on a 9 inch riser which consists of 2 Bello HT chairs. The first row consists of 3 Bello HT chairs. My 110" Dalite JP Infinity .09 screen is about 12' from my line of vision from the middle chair, front row.

I'm using a Epson UB 9500 ceiling PJ and I couldn't be happier!

If you will notice, my avatar show me with Ray Harryhausen when he visited my media room dedicated to him back in 2007...one of my most prized possessions.

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB Projector; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player, Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TW HD Cable Box. 

post #12 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a floor plan. The layout was created by the previous owners and they already framed everything with all electrical and HVAC setup. I can make changes but don't want to tear everything down since this layout works for me.

post #13 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Why don't you like the door in the back of the theater? I always design with the door in the back, when possible.

Just gets in the road - better to have a riser going from side to side as a starting point (better for acoustics (better trapping) and better looking)

In small rooms you often want to cram in as many seats as you can along the back row just for overflow seating, so it doesn't allow for that.

Harder (not impossiblen though ) to make the room symetrical (which I like the look of)

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII

post #14 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Just gets in the road - better to have a riser going from side to side as a starting point (better for acoustics (better trapping) and better looking)
In small rooms you often want to cram in as many seats as you can along the back row just for overflow seating, so it doesn't allow for that.
Harder (not impossiblen though ) to make the room symetrical (which I like the look of)

Gotcha, I misunderstood and took your post to mean always a side door, not just in small rooms.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Here's a floor plan. The layout was created by the previous owners and they already framed everything with all electrical and HVAC setup. I can make changes but don't want to tear everything down since this layout works for me.

You definitely have some great space to work with.

Where are the support columns and beams in the basement? Also, where are the main HVAC lines. Can you put those on the layout and post it again?
post #16 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

BTW, we skipped right over the starting questions!

What is your goal with the HT? How do you plan on using it? Movies, games, TV, etc.... and how many people will use it on a regular basis?
post #17 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

The support beam runs along the dividing wall of the recreation room and theatre room on the rec room side.

The primary use is movies. Occasional gaming would be cool but not a must. No TV.

It will be used for the most part by myself, wife and two kids. I'd like to accommodate 6-8 people if possible but that's probably pushing it!
post #18 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The support beam runs along the dividing wall of the recreation room and theatre room on the rec room side.
The primary use is movies. Occasional gaming would be cool but not a must. No TV.
It will be used for the most part by myself, wife and two kids. I'd like to accommodate 6-8 people if possible but that's probably pushing it!

You only have one beam? No beam on the wall between the proposed theater and future playroom?

With the beam between the theater and rec room, where is that exactly? Does it line up with the bottom of the stairs, or the line between the bedroom and storage room?
post #19 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

You only have one beam? No beam on the wall between the proposed theater and future playroom?
With the beam between the theater and rec room, where is that exactly? Does it line up with the bottom of the stairs, or the line between the bedroom and storage room?

I believe it lines up with the bottom of the stairs. There may be another beam between the theatre and play room but I'm not entirely sure and can't check as I'm at my other home for the next two weeks!

I can confirm that there are no support beams in the proposed theatre room.

It would seem like I'll be losing a lot of volume once I drywall, frame again on top of the drywall for the Owen Cornings 703 and the GOM fabric stretched over the frame. That's 5/8' + 1" on all walls and ceilings?!

Or should I go with OC703/GOM walls and leave the ceiling untreated/treated in certain sections?
post #20 of 21 Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a very simple build I did for a little home work room in my old house (I'm a composer).

I figured I could use the same principles for the theatre room.

The panels are MDF frames/OC703/GOM.

The corner bass traps are 1/2" plywood corner traps filled with fluffy pink fibreglass and two layers of OC703 in front covered with GOM.

post #21 of 21 Old 07-30-2012, 02:05 PM

Liked: 19
Perhaps a little late to the party here, but the room dimensions for my HT are almost exactly the same. Only major difference is I've only got a 7' ceiling to work with.

Quite happy with the room size I have..Will make a comfortable theater...would be nice for a little more ceiling height, but not going to happen.

Very interested to see your finished theater!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page