BIG UPDATE: Having been swamped with work so far this year, I hadn't made as much progress as I would have liked. I decided to take the week off to get some stuff done.
I Started by painting the pine frames for the columns and then wrapped them in black GOM.
The US58 Porter Cable stapler is a champ. Worth every penny.
Et voila, 22 finished frames.
Next, I wanted to see what the scones i bought at Costco would look like so I installed one of the fabric panels in one of the front columns, added a box extender, wired and mounted and the fixture:
This is sans dimmer. I think they look great and will look even better when I get the proper bulbs in them and turn them down low:
Next, I tackled the screen wall. I couldn't find any 5/4 material, so I used 1x4" pine instead. I made the columns and the header into a semi "box-structure" which forced everything into square. Seemed to work nicely and turned out to be very strong.
Today, figured I'd start some of the wainscotting. First, I built out a stubby wall in the rear of the theater. This will help accommodate 3.5" of acoustic treatment on the top half of the wall while still maintaining a flush look. I mainly used scraps (hence the unorthodox framing). I also filled the cavities with roxul.
Next, some 5/8" MDF cut 1" shorter than the final wainscot height. This was to accommodate any unevenness in the floor/riser decking.
I was anxious to see the scale of the trim so I installed a few pieces. I was originally planning on building the panels separately and using pocket screws, but figured I'd get better results of I did it right on the wall. I don't have much faith in my finish skills and I didn't want any unsightly gaps. At least this way I can go piece by piece making sure it fits nicely.