The Big Bay Home Theatre - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 350 Old 05-07-2014, 04:45 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Two racks side-by-side would be about the same width as your sump room....something to think about if you keep them sideways and just forward of that one electrical panel mounted on the long wall to the left. But to get what you are looking for, the only real option is the Middle Atlantic AXS rack (or similar from another company) which you could mount immediately to the left once you walk into the room so the equipment front is facing you. That would also look the nicest IMHO. The racks are a bit spendy, but not outrageous.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/products/racks-enclosures/slide-out-racks/axs-series-in-wall-slide-out-rack.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 350 Old 05-07-2014, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Two racks side-by-side would be about the same width as your sump room....something to think about if you keep them sideways and just forward of that one electrical panel mounted on the long wall to the left. But to get what you are looking for, the only real option is the Middle Atlantic AXS rack (or similar from another company) which you could mount immediately to the left once you walk into the room so the equipment front is facing you. That would also look the nicest IMHO. The racks are a bit spendy, but not outrageous.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/products/racks-enclosures/slide-out-racks/axs-series-in-wall-slide-out-rack.aspx

If I opt to not do the built-ins, I would simply finish off the cubby as nice as possible, trim it out and then have 2 freestanding racks sitting side by side a few inches from the wall.

I already have a slim-5 that I found cheaply on Craigslist but I don't see any way to cleanly build it in (ie. frame a small wall to conceal it).

The Big Bay Home Theater Build Thread
My personal theater build on Kempenfelt Bay, Barrie Ontario Canada
post #333 of 350 Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

What about framing it out slightly like this?

With something like this, after drywall, it would leave about 32.5" to walk around back. This is assuming Slim-5 racks at 19.25" each and then 3.75" on each side to create the "closet" look.

Having the rack sit 3.5" out from the left wall, also provides room for cabling etc.

post #334 of 350 Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 AM

Yes, that render is precisely what I was talking about in my comment above. Alternatively, you could either buy the Middle Atlantic caster wheels for your Slim5 rack: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=416971&gclid=CIj0oaiPmr4CFe99OgodbF4A_w&Q=&is=REG&A=details or buy the entire caster base: http://www.showmecables.com/product/Middle-Atlantic-CBS-5-Fine-Floor-Slim-Caster-Base-20in.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=CBS-5R&zmam=49733141&zmac=5&zmas=1&zmap=CBS-5R&gclid=CKz_57yPmr4CFQKhOgodPnQA6Q

I personally like the built-in look, but I see the advantage of having these racks off the the immediate left and pulled out only when needed.
post #335 of 350 Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

I like the built in look too -- and its much cheaper -- I can frame and cover it using scraps. It also gets the rack 10" off the floor which is good incase any water were ever a concern. It hides the cubby, which I like aesthetically, it just means I'll have to reach through the rack in order to access it. Not a huge deal.

post #336 of 350 Old 05-07-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm not a big fan of movable racks. I don't like flexing the wiring all the time, and allowing cable loops so you can pull out the rack, etc. I like your idea of framing them in so you have rear access. You can also get side and/or back panels, if you don't want to frame them.
post #337 of 350 Old 05-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

I'm not a big fan of movable racks. I don't like flexing the wiring all the time, and allowing cable loops so you can pull out the rack, etc. I like your idea of framing them in so you have rear access. You can also get side and/or back panels, if you don't want to frame them.

+1, especially with the Slim 5 which is about the thinnest rack Middle Atlantic makes. You can buy side panels....but have you seen the pricing on those things?? About $225 per pair at discount (and unfortunately Memmo could only use one because the other side panel would block the wiring access) - talk about highway robbery!
post #338 of 350 Old 05-21-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Had the equipment room boarded today. 2 guys, 1 hour 20 minutes. What a difference pros make!

They'll be back tomorrow to start taping. After they've got everything finished, I'll frame out the platform for the 2 slim 5 racks and do a bit more drywall. I wanted the platform to be built within the "shell".

post #339 of 350 Old 05-21-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You could make side panels for a Slim5 out of plywood, and attach with screws, from the interior.

If those are to to be actively cooled racks, I have to wonder if a panel separating the racks might be in order?
post #340 of 350 Old 05-21-2014, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

The thing is.. I want to hide the raw opening in the wall and have a more built in look. I don't find the slim 5's (even with a panel on the end) particularly attractive.

There is a large vent directly above where the racks will sit. It's connected via 6" to a Fantech fan. The fan is controlled by a Cool Components thermostat which is wall mounted, but has a remote sensor which I'll stick at the top of the rack.

post #341 of 350 Old 05-22-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Playing with the placement of the racks...

post #342 of 350 Old 05-23-2014, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand the desire to hide the side wall recess. I have done something very similar, except it is a series of recessed electrical boxes.

If you used stained dimensional lumber, you could use those as the finish. Something like Zuluwalker's rack, except you'll have Slim5's.

post #343 of 350 Old 05-23-2014, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure I would stain dimensional lumber but you did perhaps spark another idea. After framing, I could clad it in MDF that I would paint white -- and on the end piece, I could continue the panel theme I'm doing in the theater. So rather than drywall painted the same as the room, I'd use MDF to make it look like cabinetry. Hrmmm...

Though drywall might be easier in the sense that any gaps etc would be filled with mud smile.gif lol

post #344 of 350 Old 05-23-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Why would you have gaps? I would secure the two verticals to the wall, then put the inside alternating holes on the sides of the Slim5 to use, by attaching the
first rack to those verticals, then add another set of verticals, then the second Slim5 secured, then an end panel. (Using those holes would have all fasteners
hidden from view.) The end could be drywall with matching end verticals routed to hide however you decide to finish the end treatment.

You would also gain a center vertical cable run between the racks. If the center divider is wider, maybe you tuck a vertical run of electrical outlets there?

(a top down view:)

Created with GIMP
post #345 of 350 Old 05-23-2014, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

My racks will be butted up against one another since I don't have a lot of extra room to play with but yah, something like that could work.

post #346 of 350 Old 05-23-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by memmo View Post

My racks will be butted up against one another since I don't have a lot of extra room to play with but yah, something like that could work.

I used the MA cable chase to connect two Slim-5 racks ( http://middleatlantic.com/products/accessories/external-vertical-cable-ducts/cc-series-vertical-cable-chases.aspx?utm_source=/products/accessories/external-vertical-cable-ducts/cc-series-vertical-cable-chases&utm_medium=redirect )

I found that butting the 2 racks directly together didn't look good because the Slim-5s are "frameless" and front panels in adjacent racks didn't look good with no trim. Also, the space between racks is very useful for access to screw things to the sides, and for the cable chase.
post #347 of 350 Old 05-23-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

With some slight edits, I could accommodate the chase.. something like this:

This pushes the left rack out 2.25" from the wall. I can bring bundles of cables in directly on the side and if I'm smart about power etc, the power located in there won't be a problem either.

Hrmm... now if I go this route, drywall probably seems like the best option.

post #348 of 350 Old 05-23-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

If your layout is like what you show in Post 333, it doesn't seem like you need to worry about a slightly narrow access passageway. I have two side-by-side Slim-5 racks, framed in, with a 24-inch wide door immediately to their right, which I use for access to the small room behind the racks. Works fine, but of course I'm the only one who ever uses the door.
post #349 of 350 Old 08-19-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Any updates?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #350 of 350 Old 08-19-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Funny you should ask... After talking most of the summer off, I got back at it last weekend. I got some drywall up on the outside of the theater and then started on the custom door install. Went pretty well. Should have pics shortly. After the door is installed, my focus will change to finishing the wainscotting, then prepping and painting. Then the crown for the rope lighting. My mother is visiting in September sometime and she's a champ with the fabric so I suspect I'll get the bulk of the walls covered then also.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page