The Big Bay Home Theatre - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-25-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I need to get the doors for the rest of the basement installed before carpet and so I've run into an issue... I was planning on a 34" solid core door for the equipment room which I thought Home Depot stocked, but after calling around (to Lowes and local door shop), its a special order item and with the holidays around the corner, I'm looking at a 4-5 week lead-time.

My rough opening is 36" and drywall is installed. Is there any hope I could just stick shim it out a bit, and install a 32" door (which is in stock), and have my door casing cover the larger than normal gap?

The Big Bay Home Theater Build Thread
My personal theater build on Kempenfelt Bay, Barrie Ontario Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by memmo View Post
My rough opening is 36" and drywall is installed. Is there any hope I could just stick shim it out a bit, and install a 32" door (which is in stock), and have my door casing cover the larger than normal gap?
Just throw another 2x4 jack stud with 1/2" sheet material behind it (as a spacer) to bring down the rough opening by 2". Most normal case molding is 3.5" wide, so it will easily cover the gap and give you a perfect install.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tim!

Now another question... with the outlay of cash about to happen (carpet, subs, projector), I'm hoping to find a suitable AV receiver capable of powering the SEOS Fusions and the Klipsch surrounds until I can afford to go with separates. Anyone have any recommendations?

Old 11-26-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Tim!

Now another question... with the outlay of cash about to happen (carpet, subs, projector), I'm hoping to find a suitable AV receiver capable of powering the SEOS Fusions and the Klipsch surrounds until I can afford to go with separates. Anyone have any recommendations?
What's the resistance and efficiency ratings of your different speakers? Atmos important to you now or in the near future or just looking for 7.1??
Old 11-26-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

LCR

Fusion-12 Tempest:
98db - 2.83V/1m
8 Ohm nominal

Surround

Klipsch R-5650-W II:
93dB @ 2.83V / 1m
8 Ohm compatible

Atmos not terribly important -- I figure if/when I go down that route, I'd be doing separates.

Old 11-26-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LCR

Fusion-12 Tempest:
98db - 2.83V/1m
8 Ohm nominal

Surround

Klipsch R-5650-W II:
93dB @ 2.83V / 1m
8 Ohm compatible

Atmos not terribly important -- I figure if/when I go down that route, I'd be doing separates.
Well, all your speakers are extremely easy loads to drive, so anything with 100 wpc or more would suit your theater just fine. If you intend to hold on to this receiver for a while, I'd get one with HDMI 2.0 AND HDCP 2.2 for at least one of the HDMI outputs. This will get you an extra couple years of useful life with an upgrade path to a 4K projector and a 4K Bluray player (due at the end of 2015) without the need to upgrade the receiver.

From there it just boils down to features as I think the sound quality at the mid to lower price points is going to be very similar. I'd get rear and/or front USB ports, ability to stream, built-in AirPlay, built in wired Ethernet, and the availability of a free app for IP-based control as the minimum of advanced features you'd use all the time. Beyond that, most of the other features should be similar between whatever brand you choose.

I've had good luck with Denon, Marantz and Yamaha with preference to Denon. I've always had bad luck with Integra and Onkyo for some reason.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yah.. I'm thinking either the Denon or Marantz would suit me fine. I think I can get dealer cost on both which saves me a bit of $$. Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

So, I had another carpet company over to quote the theater today. Was a bit weird...

1. The rep insisted that the carpet be installed from front to back in the theater, instead of left to right, even though I pointed out if installed left to right, there would be no need for seems.. Carpet comes on 12 foot rolls. The riser is only 7 feet deep. The concrete slab is about 10.5 feet deep, and then the stage is about 4-5 feet deep. Could there be any truth to this? Seems like more work and more carpet if done the other way... hrmm

2. At the end, after he had priced the job (either $1650 for a mid-level carpet or $2150 for a more plush carpet), I asked him how many square feet he figured and he wouldn't tell me... he said "Thats a secret". At first I thought he was kidding, but he was serious. He finally did say I need about 40 yards of carpet...

Thoughts?

Old 11-26-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I just tore through all the Denon receivers and although all the new ones have HDMI 2.0, none have HDCP 2.2. Only Onkyo's full line of receivers have both HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. That being the case, it looks like you could get an Atmos-based receiver from Onkyo for $798 here: http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?i...FUVk7AodgGcAKQ

EDIT - Move on to a different carpet guy. What a dope!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Well, I just tore through all the Denon receivers and although all the new ones have HDMI 2.0, none have HDCP 2.2. Only Onkyo's full line of receivers have both HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2. That being the case, it looks like you could get an Atmos-based receiver from Onkyo for $798 here: http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?i...FUVk7AodgGcAKQ
I wished I had of lucked out with one of those Sherbourn pre-pros when they were clearing them out. Would be perfect along with a few pro-amps. Then when things really get sorted with the new tech, I could upgrade.

Old 11-27-2014, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Decided to carpet the stage after all. What size of half round should I attach to the face of the steps to create a bullnose? I need something playable enough to follow the radius but big enough that it looks like a normal step bullnose.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
LCR

Fusion-12 Tempest:
98db - 2.83V/1m
8 Ohm nominal

Surround

Klipsch R-5650-W II:
93dB @ 2.83V / 1m
8 Ohm compatible

Are you doing 7.2 ?

Have you heard the Klipsch R-5650-W II before deciding on them ?
Old 11-28-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Decided to carpet the stage after all. What size of half round should I attach to the face of the steps to create a bullnose? I need something playable enough to follow the radius but big enough that it looks like a normal step bullnose.
Same size at the thickness of the steps typically 3/4 or 1.

Tim
Old 11-28-2014, 04:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 943
You could add two layers of 3/4 plastic wood. if the curve is pronounced. Doesn't have to be half round but I round the edges.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
My understanding is that there are NO consumer receivers that have a full implementation of both HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, so you need to gamble now which one will be more important in the future. That is, most of the receiver makes have a full version of HDMI 2.0, which can handle 18Gbps -- needed for higher framerate UHD and the increased color spec. But none of those have HDCP 2.2.

Onkyo went the other way and implemented the full HDCP 2.2, which gives future compatibility... but it's implementation of HDMI 2.0 is half-baked, only supporting the 10.2Gbps -- the same as HDMI 1.4. So you'll be able to play future UHD Blu-Ray, but it'll be capped out resolution-wise and you won't get the increased color spec.

My current thinking is to focus on a full HDMI 2.0 spec, since the HDCP 2.2 one might be easier to work around. That is, I could always just rip future Blu-Rays to my HTPC and stream them, bypassing HDCP entirely.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post
Onkyo went the other way and implemented the full HDCP 2.2, which gives future compatibility... but it's implementation of HDMI 2.0 is half-baked, only supporting the 10.2Gbps -- the same as HDMI 1.4. So you'll be able to play future UHD Blu-Ray, but it'll be capped out resolution-wise and you won't get the increased color spec.
Great catch Granroth. Even with this knowledge in-hand and going to Onkyo's website, I couldn't find it and had to refer to an Audioholics article here.

@memmo - If I were you, I'd live with a nice value-priced 7.1 receiver that you can sell on once the receivers with full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth and HDCP 2.2 are available, probably by next year's CEDIA. Considering there are only a few crappy titles with Atmos content available at the moment, it's easy justification to wait.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Great catch Granroth. Even with this knowledge in-hand and going to Onkyo's website, I couldn't find it and had to refer to an Audioholics article here.

@memmo - If I were you, I'd live with a nice value-priced 7.1 receiver that you can sell on once the receivers with full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth and HDCP 2.2 are available, probably by next year's CEDIA. Considering there are only a few crappy titles with Atmos content available at the moment, it's easy justification to wait.

I'm in between doing 9.2 or atmos 7.2.2, it seems as though the 9.2 may be better. Decisions....decisions!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
You could add two layers of 3/4 plastic wood. if the curve is pronounced. Doesn't have to be half round but I round the edges.

What do you mean by plastic wood? I'm thinking I want something 3/4" tall by 1.25-1.5" deep (ie overhang). I was at HomeDepot today and couldn't find anything except perhaps 1x2 PVC that would be able the bend around the radius.

I could peeps try some pine 1x4 with a ton of relief cuts in the back to help make the bend work. I'd use some liquid nails and then some 3" deck screws through the face of the lip and into the face of the riser. Hopefully it would be strong enough. Hrmm I was hoping this was going to be quick and easy.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What do you mean by plastic wood?
http://flexitions.com/products/stain...tion-moldings/
Lots of other similar options available via the internet.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
http://flexitions.com/products/stain...tion-moldings/

Lots of other similar options available via the internet.

I saw those a few weeks ago. Pretty costly and I've decided to just carpet the entire stage. What I need to do is make a bullnose so tegu can wrap the carpet around. As is, the Osb on my stage is trimmed flush which is obviously not ideal for carpet.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:54 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
What do you mean by plastic wood? I'm thinking I want something 3/4" tall by 1.25-1.5" deep (ie overhang). I was at HomeDepot today and couldn't find anything except perhaps 1x2 PVC that would be able the bend around the radius.

Yes PVC lumber, at my HD they sell a product called Tuf board that is like glued together sawdust, really flexible.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Yes PVC lumber, at my HD they sell a product called Tuf board that is like glued together sawdust, really flexible.
Thats cool. My local HD had 1" x 2" (.75" x 1.5") that was flexible enough to bend around the radius. If I went this way, I'd want to attach so that I end up with a lip that is .75" tall and 1.5" deep. I don't think attaching it the other way (so that the lip is only .75" deep) would give me enough of a reveal, plus then it looks "bulkly". Does that make sense? Typically, if you knew the stage was going to be carpeted from the get-go, how much would you let the OSB overhang to create the bull-nose?

Finally.. do you know if that PVC lumber can be rounded off? Can i take a router to it or will it chip/fall apart?

Old 11-30-2014, 04:10 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

two layers and you would have 1 1/2 x 1 1/2. yes you can round it but be careful of your screw positions. I usually do 1 1/2 to 2 inch overhang
Old 11-30-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Got some more work done on the fabric panels today. The room is really starting to come alive.

Here's the box extender for the Insteon Keypad:

and the completed panel:

Also, found a deal on some used Berkline recliners. Plan to use them for the rear row of seats. Didn't think $700 was bad for them -- 3 years old, they are in good shape (lot of life left in the cushions) and feature power recline.
Tedd likes this.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Memmo,

I have to build three large panels, so I'm interested in the structure you used for the large fabric panel in the first picture of the above post.

A few questions when you have a moment:
What dimension wood did you use for the perimeter of the frame?
Did you use horizontal and/or vertical bracing inside the perimeter? If so, could you describe what you did and whether you are happy with the result.
My large panels will be about 58" x 58". How large is that frame?

Thx.

My in progress build thread: Hidden in Bethesda
Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe88 View Post
Memmo,

I have to build three large panels, so I'm interested in the structure you used for the large fabric panel in the first picture of the above post.

A few questions when you have a moment:
What dimension wood did you use for the perimeter of the frame?
Did you use horizontal and/or vertical bracing inside the perimeter? If so, could you describe what you did and whether you are happy with the result.
My large panels will be about 58" x 58". How large is that frame?

Thx.
Basically, the panel frames are constructed out of some clear pine I ripped. The wood was cut to 1" x 1.75". The large panel above is about 88" long and about 46" tall. Along with the top and bottom piece, I used 4 vertical pieces. I glued them and used some 16" nails to hold them together. They are very strong. The pine with the internal braces makes the frame very rigid so when pulling the fabric around, it it holds it shape well.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Even though I'm going to carpet my stage, I do plan on using an oak nosing on the riser. I'm thinking I should just use something like this?

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/oak-...-x-8-ft/904536

It's 4 1/4" deep, and would be 3/4" tall where the carpet would butt up to it. Given that I'm using a 1/2" pad and a pretty plush carpet, I'm thinking I'll be right about 3/4".

Old 12-01-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 165
That is what I used for the lip on my riser. Carpet butts up great
Old 12-01-2014, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post
That is what I used for the lip on my riser. Carpet butts up great
Great. Just curious if I should buy some porch/floor paint for it or if I could just use the same stuff I used on my columns/trim. Would be nice to save the $$ as I have lots of the other stuff left over, but not if it won't stand-up.

Thoughts?

Old 12-01-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Builder finished it with stain and shalac like the world on stairs and hand rail