The Big Bay Home Theatre - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #541 of 548 Old 07-20-2015, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Yah, a friend and I are working on a small web app (rails + html front end) that will run on the Pi that will allow you to manually add titles etc via a simple web interface but will also integrate with Kodi to pull coming soon titles and also support a now playing function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post
Nice!

When you say "working on a raspberry pi app" do you mean you are writing one?

Funny you should mention the Pi.. I just got mine today and am about to fire it up. I'm going to see if it will work as a MythTV backend. I wonder if Kodi+some plugin wouldn't give you some poster functionality?

Tim

The Big Bay Home Theater Build Thread
My personal theater build on Kempenfelt Bay, Barrie Ontario Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 548 Old 07-20-2015, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by memmo View Post
So with the theater complete and work at a nice summer's pace,
Any chance of seeing some completion pictures?
post #543 of 548 Old 07-20-2015, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by memmo View Post
Yah, a friend and I are working on a small web app (rails + html front end) that will run on the Pi that will allow you to manually add titles etc via a simple web interface but will also integrate with Kodi to pull coming soon titles and also support a now playing function.
Cool! Yeah, movieposterapp.com started right here on AVS. It looks to be a great app-- does exactly what I would want. The problem for me was having to run a windows system to use it.

I agree the Pi is the perfect platform (as was mentioned in the app thread years ago). I wonder if maybe Brent would work with you guys? His username is @meyer64 .

Tim
post #544 of 548 Old 08-26-2015, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Not really theater related, but I figured with the wealth of experience on this forum, I'd ask for some opinions any how.

With the summer winding down, I'm getting back into reno mode and would like to finish off the basement. All thats left is to trim/carpet and deal with the crappy basement stairs.

I was thinking about of cladding the steps with those riser/tread kits at Home Depot/Lowes. I'm trying to work out a few things in my mind before proceeding however.

1. I understand that the kit requires you to cut off the bullnose on the step. No problem, but how about the top most steps?

In this instance, I'll lay some engineered hardwood on the landing that matches the flooring we have on our main floor. I assume I can just use a standard nosing on the "lip"/edge and have the riser for the first step below come up underneath? Does that make sense?

Next, is the top most step, where it meets the threshold/tile of the main floor. This is a really weird transition... I assume I'd have to cut off the bullnose, install the riser on the top step and then "cap" it with a piece of wood that would sit flush with the edge of the threshold? Can anyone think of a different/better solution?

And finally, I'm going to build out a couple of small walls to close in the bottom of the steps (basically just a pair of triangular shaped walls that will sit flush with the top of the stringer). I think I'm going to paint the stringers and risers white and stain the treads as the exposed stringers will be just the builder grade wood. I'm trying to think about the best way to trim this out, seeing how the stringer continues all the way up and is slightly tucked under the drywall. My thought was to "cap" the triangular walls in some poplar so that the seam between the stringer and the new walls were hidden. But then, I'm left with the stringer showing up above.... if that makes any sense? Anyone have any advice?

post #545 of 548 Old 08-26-2015, 07:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
In the last picture you can do your cap on the wall extension you are planning to build, on that small exposed part of the stringer you can run a "base cap" piece of molding. I think out local building codes would require a hand rail on at least one if not both sides of the stairs where it extends into the basement.

In the second picture just a FYI they make handheld wet saws. A circular saw with a tube connecting to a faucet. I've never used one but that might be part of the solution to pull the tile back so it stops at the door, then run some oak on top of the existing step to even out the levels, add an oak bull nose.

this is how my builder trimmed out my stringer and platform

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 08-26-2015 at 07:39 AM.
post #546 of 548 Old Today, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Spent some time in the equipment room this morning, making side panels for my Slim5 rack out of scrap materials left over from the theater. I couldn't bring myself to spend the $ on the Middle Atlantic Panels.

Need to fill, sand, prime and paint yet, but here's one panel:

And a shot of the mostly cleaned up wiring. Have about another day to get it all the way there. I'm no pro by any means, but I think this'll do.

post #547 of 548 Old Today, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 142
post #548 of 548 Old Today, 03:07 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)