Theater Door Location Help - Pics and Model Included - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-29-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I'm almost ready to start construction on my theater, and one last detail is causing me some grief. I can't decide if I need to try to move my door, or try to make it work where it is. The issue is my door will be all the way in the back corner. Going into the theater I don't think this is a problem, but on the theater side I'm not sure if there will be room for clips+channel+DD+GG+acoustic treatments. The rough door opening is about 3-1/2" from the back wall, and is about 38" wide.

Before you say just move it, the walls in this hallway support a set of stairs and landing directly above it, so it may not be that simple. Also, the opening is currently centered in the hallway. So if I move the door, now it's no longer centered. The small room to the left of the doorway is intended to be my equipment closet, so I could definitely use part of that space for a door.

Here are my questions:

1) How much space is necessary between my door and wall to allow for sound isolation and treatments. I think I'm looking at about 2-1/2 to 2-5/8" for clips, channel, one layer of OSB, and one layer of drywall. But not sure about the thickness of the treatments on the back wall.

2) I'd like opinions on moving the door completely into the equipment closet, and possibly making an arched opening or cased opening going into the area with the door.

As promised, here are the pics of the doorway, and a Sketchup model showing the stairway and equipment closet in relation to the theater.

Outside Theater looking into the theater through the proposed door. The equipment closet is on the left.
DoorPhotos007.jpg

Inside the theater looking out the doorway. The equipment closet is just past the doorway on the right in this picture
DoorPhotos005.jpg

The Sketchup model showing showing the area in question
TheaterDoor.jpg

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-29-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Can you also show us the theater layout so we have a better idea of the overall flow? I'd like to see how your riser is laid out in the back of the room (relative to your door location) and whether or not an alternate door location would interfere with your side surround speaker? Without seeing the rest of the space, I think I like the current location over moving it into that closet. Walking into the room behind your rear bar seems more inviting compared to walking into the side of the bar or into the side of your 2nd row of seats.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 508
How wide of a door were you planning?
post #4 of 10 Old 07-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The thickness of the clips and channel will depend on which clips you use and which channel you use. Here is a pic from Ted White's website, www.soundproofingcompany.com, which shows dimensions for the Whisper Clip with the recommended channel:

whisperclip_dimensions.gif

Obviously, the thickness of your drywall would be added. Two layers of 5/8" drywall, for example, would get you up to a combined thickness of about 2-7/8". A layer of 3/4" OSB and a layer of 5/8" drywall would put you at 3".

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #5 of 10 Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry for the slow response. Here's a different view of the model showing the riser with the bar and seats. The column locations shown are just place holders. i haven't put much thought into where they need to go just yet. I like the idea of entering behind the bar as well. Unfortunately, I can't move the door over just 1' because of the load bearing posts. As I have it modeled now, there is only about 2' from the back edge of the bar to the load bearing post in that wall. There would be plenty of room for the door to open if I move it to the equipment closet, but I don't know that I like the way it would look or feel entering the theater.

TheaterDoor-1.jpg

I haven't decided on a door size yet. I would like a 36" door just to make it easy to move stuff in and out, but I could probably go with a 32" if I needed to. I suppose I could go with a 32" door, push it as far as I can away from the corner. Leaving enough space for molding on the outside of the door, that would put the rough opening at 12" from the framing in the corner.

Dwightp, thanks for the picture! John at the soundproofing company recommended a different clip that's a bout 1/4" shorter. I'm still not sure which I will go with, but I think allowing 2-1/2" to 3" is reasonable.

Any ideas on a minimum door width and what I should allow for treatments on the back wall?

Thanks for the feedback!

post #6 of 10 Old 07-30-2012, 01:41 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 508
We used a 28 inch door for the bacon race, only because all the acoustical panels were 28 inches wide. Didn't have a problem moving anything in. The massive molding treatment hides the fact that the door is smallish.

2012-05-12140627.jpg
post #7 of 10 Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BIG, if I didn't know better, I'd say you've done this before rolleyes.gif Thanks for the tip!

Any tips on the thickness of the treatments at the rear. I know it's recommended to treat the entire back wall, but I can't remember the details. Believe it or not, it's a little tough to find clear cut acoustic treatment advice around here biggrin.gif I realize it will be different for my room, but I'm looking for an, "In general" sorta thing. Although, I would think that 12" would be more than enough for anything except maybe a bass trap.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I've got another door question.

I'd like to install my door before I drywall, but I'm not sure what to do about the hinges. I haven't decided if I want to try to hide the interior side of the door with fabric etc., or if I just want a regular door in the room. Would it be much trouble to substitute the wide throw hinges later, or would the wide throw hinges be objectionable in any way if I don't have an extra thick door when I'm done? I've hung several doors in the past, but I've never dealt with wide throw hinges before.

post #9 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Did you ever decide ? How did you handle this ?

I have stair coming up into my theater at the back corner - and I'm playing around with some ideas. My concern is sound and also being able to get large stuff into the room like a full sized couch or 4x12 sheet of drywall.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 10 Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I decided to go with a regular door, with no treatments on the inside. I left my door in the back corner where it was designed, and now that I have the drywall up, it looks like it will be fine.

I can tell you that stairwells are an issue you need to consider carefully from a soundproofing standpoint. With the drywall up, and the door without a knob or threshold, I can clearly hear sounds coming down the stairwell and through the door.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page