Ideal room size / ratio for home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-30-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I have been searching for homes in order to set up a home theater. I have not had much like finding what meets my needs, so I am considering having someone build a home with a dedicated great sounding room. This will be utilized 100% for watching movies at reference level with subs running hot.

I have previously told one builder that I wanted to create a room that was 30 ft x 50 ft, with 14 foot ceilings. They didn't seem too thrilled with these dimensions, which I can understand, because rooms like that don't seem to be around.

Below you will find a quote from an article that I found in Home Theater magazine about ideal room sizes. The link to the article may be found here:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/home-theater-builder-part-2-selecting-your-room
Quote:
There isn't really any such thing as the perfect dimensions for a theater—at least, that anyone can agree on. What I've done here is list sample ratios (height : width : length) from each of the four acoustics experts cited in figure 13-2 on page 277 of Alton Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics (which, if you are planning to build a theater yourself, is one of a few books you will want to have next to you at all times).

Sepmeyer: 1.0 : 1.28 : 1.54
Louden: 1.0 : 1.4 : 1.9
Volkmann: 1.0 : 1.5 : 2.5
Boner: 1.0 : 1.26 : 1.5

As you can see from the above, it appears that the ceiling height acts as the limiting factor to the best room sizes discussed in the article. Under the Volkmann theory, a room with a 14 foot ceiling would yield room dimensions of 21 x 35 ft. With a 10 foot ceiling, the room size would decrease to 15 x 25 feet.

Does anyone care to share their thoughts about the best ceiling height and room size for listening to movies at reference? Do these ratios seem accurate, or would you recommend something else if you were to utilize a 9 or 10 foot ceiling?

In case people are wondering, here is a list of the equipment that I would plan to run in the set-up:

Mains: Seaton Catalyst 12C's (Active)
Surrounds: ? (Active)
Subs: Dual JTR Orbit Shifters or Dual Seaton Terraform XL's
Processor: Denon 4811 or Integra 80.3

Thanks everyone!

FYI, I have also posted this in the audio theory section on the site, but I figured that this might be the more appropriate place for this issue. I don't see an option to delete the thread in audio theory.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page