Baldrick's theather, "the wall of sound" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-31-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all!

I've been a "passive" user here for some time so I thought it's about time putting out a thread with my current hometheater. In the past I've tried a lot of equipment before ending up with my current system, and for now I'm quite satisifed but I have some plans for nearby upgrades as well!

The reason why I 've called the hometheather/thread "the wall of sound" is this, my frontspeakers:

Front sepakers are 3xEAW CB523M (cinema speakers) and the 4 woofers are JBL 4645"C" (modified 4645)

Normally spakers are not shown since they are all behind the screen and panels, and it looks more like this:

In the back this is how it looks, surround speakers are 4xJBL 8340 (modified):

My only audio/video source is an HTPC, where I stream audio, video and TV from the mainserver (windows home srver) that holds aprox 20TB of material. I prefer the ease of use of streaming, so I rip all my DVDs/BluRays/CDs to the server.

At the moment I use an Onkyo 1007 as surround processor, but it will be replaced with either Emotiva XMC-1 or Sherbourn PT7030 when they are being released.

The EAW front speakers requires active x-over so I use 3xMiniDSP (one for eash speaker) for XO and EQ, and to power them I use an ATI AT6012 for mids and highs and I use Midgard Audio Oberon 6.1 (based on B&O ASP1000) for the woofers. The JBL subwoofers are powered by an Crown K2 and the surroundspeakers are powered by the remaining channels from the ATI AT6012.

I would love to have a bigger room, but for know this is the only alternative in our house so it will have to do... the size is aprox 11,5x18ft

The home theather is aprox 80% finished, it needs some more acoustic treamtments at the walls and also the last finish smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-31-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Well! That's a heck of a first post!

JVC up there on the shelf?

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #3 of 17 Old 07-31-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I like your style. Why mess with acoustical wall treatments when you can simply cover every square inch with speakers.wink.gif Even your surrounds are huge.
post #4 of 17 Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

The PJ is an Sony HW20, since I'm not a huge fan of 3D it works pretty well smile.gif
post #5 of 17 Old 08-01-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Crazy! In a good way of course smile.gif how are your 8340s modified?
post #6 of 17 Old 08-02-2012, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

The orginal HF driver in 8340 doesn't sound very good, it's VERY harsh, so I replaced them with Selenium drivers, sounds very much better.

Before I ended up with EAW front speakers in front, I used 8340 as LCR and it sounded quite OK with the replaced HF driver.

I stll have another cinema setup, JBL 3678, they sound very good and are much easier to use than the EAW since they are two way without active x-over:

I will only keep one of the systems and probably the EAW but I'm not 100% sure yet...

I've also had a few other cinema setups, like this JBL:

Before ending up with cinema equipment, I used "classic JBL", like 250TI/240TI:

post #7 of 17 Old 08-02-2012, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

My current subwoofer setup is 4xJBL 4645 cabinetts but the original JBL 2245H woofer have been replaced by JBL 2242HPL and the box have been retuned to 25hz so it's similar to the newer JBL 4645C.

In the past I've had some other subwoofer setup:

2x18" Elemental Designs:

Was not very impressed....

I replaced the ED woofers with Soundsplinter RL-P18 and they were much better, but still not quite satisfied. The next one was much smaller and sounded extremly good (maybe the best woofer I've tested), Aurasound NS15 in a small closed box:

Sounded fantastic for music, but wasn't quite there for movies...

So I bought a pair of TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400:

They are really fun and have great VLF output, but even they didn't give me what I wanted... and that's how I ended up with my present subwoofer system.

All in all I'm quite pleased and it is by far the best subwoofer setup I've had, the only thing I'm missing is the VLF output of the TC Sounds, <25hz they are awsome and better than the JBL!

I've also had some none DIY woofers, like JBL B460:

And some SVS, Altec... smile.gif
post #8 of 17 Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Awesome, you've definitely made some rounds. Thanks for sharing.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-04-2012, 08:18 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Nice, any measurements? How would you describe the audible differences between this current iteration, with regard to previous approaches?

Thanks for sharing

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #10 of 17 Old 08-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Very cool! Reminds me of a similar project that has been floating around. wink.gif

There is one thing I must know..... Do you or don't you have those Sound Splinter RLp18's in a box somewhere? Omg, I hope so! I must have them. biggrin.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #11 of 17 Old 08-22-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Nice, any measurements? How would you describe the audible differences between this current iteration, with regard to previous approaches?
Thanks for sharing

Sorry about the late response..

When it comes to woofers there are huge differences between "pa/cinema" woofers like the JBL 2242/2245 and i.e. TC Sound and Soundsplinter. The JBLs blend in a whole other way and give more "punch" and sounds much more "correct" than the others. But TC Sound and Soundsplinter are superior to the JBLs >25hz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Very cool! Reminds me of a similar project that has been floating around. wink.gif
There is one thing I must know..... Do you or don't you have those Sound Splinter RLp18's in a box somewhere? Omg, I hope so! I must have them. biggrin.gif

What similar project do you mean, would nice to see similar projects smile.gif

The Soundsplinter woofers are long gone I'm afraid, but I will in fact get a pair of RLP15s soon. I'll try them as VLF only and see how it works together with the JBLs and use them mainly from 10-30hz.

Another "upgrade"last weeks are new and bigger screen, so now I use a 130" 2.35:1 screen! I use a DIY screen from Dreamscreen and it works great, EXCELLENT value for small amout of moneyt!
post #12 of 17 Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick no View Post

Sorry about the late response..
When it comes to woofers there are huge differences between "pa/cinema" woofers like the JBL 2242/2245 and i.e. TC Sound and Soundsplinter. The JBLs blend in a whole other way and give more "punch" and sounds much more "correct" than the others. But TC Sound and Soundsplinter are superior to the JBLs >25hz.
What similar project do you mean, would nice to see similar projects smile.gif
The Soundsplinter woofers are long gone I'm afraid, but I will in fact get a pair of RLP15s soon. I'll try them as VLF only and see how it works together with the JBLs and use them mainly from 10-30hz.
Another "upgrade"last weeks are new and bigger screen, so now I use a 130" 2.35:1 screen! I use a DIY screen from Dreamscreen and it works great, EXCELLENT value for small amout of moneyt!

Hey! Glad you came back to your thread. tongue.gif

Awww. I was dearly hoping you had held on to the SS RLp18's....I can dream. redface.gif Man, I can't find any ANYwhere! No body wants to give em up. For good reason, I know. I have four. Anyway...

Yes. I have been working on a system that is somewhat similar to yours in many ways. A friend of mine that is looking forward to it forwarded me to you thread. Thought I might like what you have done.... and I do! biggrin.gif

My yet unnamed 'uber system' is a complete active 4-way LCR system consisting of quad JBL 2226's per channel, a 10" front loaded midbass/midrange and a 2" throat large format JBL compression driver for the highs. It's quite a complex sounding project what with an external bass management system with quad RLp18 subwoofers, LFE summing to 18 JBL 2226's.... but the initial draw is, like yours, a 'Wall-O-Bass' type setup. I won't get on to too much about it but if you're interested you can PM me about it. Getting really close to finishing it. I'm hoping to have it done in installed in the next couple months as long as the momentum I have going now sticks. I'll have a thread about it in the DIY speakers and subwoofer section when the time comes. smile.gif

Here is a mockup of the 'look'.

scottmains2.png

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #13 of 17 Old 08-25-2012, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Looks very coolu but I would reconsider a few things if you haven't come to far already...
- 4x2226 pr speaker might be an overkill, but of course if you already have the woofers it would be pretty awsome smile.gif You might be in need of a few more Soundsplinters too keep it up!
- I would consider useing 2360 horns and a "supertweeter" (maybe 2404?) instead of 10" and the 2380 horn. Imho the 2380 horn do not sound very good and is in need of an supertweeter. 2360 sound much better than 2380 and you will not be needing the 10".
post #14 of 17 Old 08-25-2012, 05:45 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

I'm sure Scott appreciates the heads up, and he's always politely listens to all. However he's quite savvy and I'm guessing his design decisions are well vetted.

I think both you guys are insane eek.gif ....... in all the right ways cool.gif

post #15 of 17 Old 08-25-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

I've had a few 2226 (and still do) and also 2446/2380 so it was just a friendly advise since my experience is that a pair of 2226 is loud (you can easily reach 130dB) and that the 2380 do not sound too good in hometheather/hifi. The gigantic 2360 horn (and 2370 also) sound better than 2380 and can also be used from 300 hz so it wouldn't be necessary with the 10". But either solution it's my oppinion that a supertweeter is needed with 2446 since it lacks some output at higher freq..

This is also an earlier setup I had (2226 and 2446/2380):

post #16 of 17 Old 08-25-2012, 04:04 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

It's all good. As I noted, I'm sure he appreciates all the info he can get.

post #17 of 17 Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

Looks very coolu but I would reconsider a few things if you haven't come to far already...
- 4x2226 pr speaker might be an overkill, but of course if you already have the woofers it would be pretty awsome smile.gif You might be in need of a few more Soundsplinters too keep it up!
- I would consider useing 2360 horns and a "supertweeter" (maybe 2404?) instead of 10" and the 2380 horn. Imho the 2380 horn do not sound very good and is in need of an supertweeter. 2360 sound much better than 2380 and you will not be needing the 10".

Quote:

I've had a few 2226 (and still do) and also 2446/2380 so it was just a friendly advise since my experience is that a pair of 2226 is loud (you can easily reach 130dB) and that the 2380 do not sound too good in hometheather/hifi. The gigantic 2360 horn (and 2370 also) sound better than 2380 and can also be used from 300 hz so it wouldn't be necessary with the 10". But either solution it's my oppinion that a supertweeter is needed with 2446 since it lacks some output at higher freq..
This is also an earlier setup I had (2226 and 2446/2380):

Thanks for the advice. I will take your experiences with the gear into serious consideration for options down the road but for the time being, I will use what I had mentioned. Simply because.... I have all of it already and the midhorns will ship tomorrow. wink.gif I have the capability to add supertweeters to this configuration as each channel will get it's own DCX crossover which has six discrete outputs. Enough control for a true 6-way speaker but I don't intend on going that nuts. tongue.gif Any modifications will be had after I've had a good listen. smile.gif

And yes... four 2226's is overkill. Damn right, I say. biggrin.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page