Basement Theater planning/build - need help going in circles! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
After living in this house that I built about 4 years ago with a plan all along to build a dedicated theater I am finally finishing the basement and getting things moving. I have been reading this site for quite a while and gone through many builds but boy is all of this confusing!

Attached I have a rough sketch of a portion of the basement where the theater will be and the surrounding rooms. The door location isn't ideal but we didn't have too many options with how the rest needed to be framed out.

I am definitely worried about soundproofing as the master suite is right above the theater and above that is my daughters bedroom. As you can see the majority of the HVAC trunk is in the theater feeding the rest of the house. The HVAC system is zoned with dampers (one thermostat for each floor).

Currently everything is framed and as you can see we lose a lot of height over the seats because of the beams and the duct work. I am at 89" and that doesn't include any DD/channel if I chose to do that. I also will need the projecter so that will bring it down even farther and I hope I can get that right behind the 2nd set of seats if possible.
My wife would like 4 seats wide but I think that will really be a problem for the doorway as to have it centered in the room you will be basically on top of the door.

I also am not sure what to do with the rear speakers - I was looking to avoid something in the ceiling but not sure what options I have.

I am debating on what to do in the front - if I should build a stage or false wall and put the speakers behind things etc.

Help! I am at this point over my head I think smile.gif I am open to all thoughts/ideas and tweaks.
The theater will be mostly for movies with some potential gaming/TV

The drawing isn't exactly perfect to scale but the room is roughly 33 x 14

JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Welcome to the madness.

I'd sit closer and do two rows of two. No way there's room for four wide. I think the space between rows should be about where you have the beam(?) shown at 13'6 with an eyeball to screen distance of about 12'. You might have room for bar seating in the back aligned with the hall. You'll need 6.5 feet per row for recliners.

I'd get the AC trunk completely out of the theater. Align the back of the theater with the left side hallway wall. So the sound treated aquarium would be about 14x20.

Can you post some photos?

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #3 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts Pete!

I definitely want to do 3 seats (as you said 4 is never going to work) - 4 seats total just won't cut it for what I need so I need to find a way to make it not akward I guess.

Unfortunately that trunk line isn't going anywhere as it feeds about 70% of the house - all out of the theater sadly. There is nowhere else for it to go.

Pics (room is a bit of a mess at the moment)

Hallway and entrance into the theater

View left towards the back of the room - showing the equipment closet

View right toward the screen

Standing in the middle looking back

back left side - showing furnace/hw/dehumidifier/storage room

Middle looking forward to the right

View all the way from the back

View up towards the trunk
IMG]http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/49096/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Middle of the room to the screen

Front of the room looking back

More view of the trunk and zoning

Equipment room and large drain "cactus"

Wet bar/snack area

JJ
post #4 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 06:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslegacy View Post

After living in this house that I built about 4 years ago with a plan all along to build a dedicated theater I am finally finishing the basement and getting things moving. I have been reading this site for quite a while and gone through many builds but boy is all of this confusing!
Attached I have a rough sketch of a portion of the basement where the theater will be and the surrounding rooms. The door location isn't ideal but we didn't have too many options with how the rest needed to be framed out.
I am definitely worried about soundproofing as the master suite is right above the theater and above that is my daughters bedroom. As you can see the majority of the HVAC trunk is in the theater feeding the rest of the house. The HVAC system is zoned with dampers (one thermostat for each floor).
Currently everything is framed and as you can see we lose a lot of height over the seats because of the beams and the duct work. I am at 89" and that doesn't include any DD/channel if I chose to do that. I also will need the projecter so that will bring it down even farther and I hope I can get that right behind the 2nd set of seats if possible.
My wife would like 4 seats wide but I think that will really be a problem for the doorway as to have it centered in the room you will be basically on top of the door.
I also am not sure what to do with the rear speakers - I was looking to avoid something in the ceiling but not sure what options I have.
I am debating on what to do in the front - if I should build a stage or false wall and put the speakers behind things etc.
Help! I am at this point over my head I think smile.gif I am open to all thoughts/ideas and tweaks.
The theater will be mostly for movies with some potential gaming/TV
The drawing isn't exactly perfect to scale but the room is roughly 33 x 14
post #5 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 06:36 PM
RPA

Liked: 13
jjslegacy,

Speaking of circles...what if you rotated 180 deg and entered by the screen. My room is 14 feet in the front, then narrows to 10 feet 9 inches in the back. 26 feet long. Putting 4 in the back wasn't a problem with the the seats I chose. The back row is almost 3 feet off the back wall.

Understand you would have to find room for the bar, etc, but you might think about moving it outside of the room.

Anyway, just a thought.

Aaron

2mxre6q.jpg

2je9s85.jpg

16k9ljb.jpg
post #6 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

RPA,

Not sure I get what you mean. If I rotated 180 degrees the screen would just be on the back wall where the bar/closet is.

edit....

Oh I think I know what you mean. You are saying have the seats where the screen is and have the theater "end" near where the door is and have the back as a separate room entered somehow.

JJ
post #7 of 9 Old 08-03-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You could have used ladder framing in the seating area, so the drywall skims the ductwork by 1/2", and would give you a couple of inches more headroom.
(You could dismantle and reuse the exisitng framing...)

If you are seriously concerned about sound proofing, the double entry door is a bad idea.

My first thought is to shrink the room, go with an acoustically transparent screen, and pull the seating forward. The smaller volume will be cheaper
to get reference level sound in, and give you better audio with the center channel up higher, and the LR mains out of the corners. And the front three spakers
can be identical.

The back wall gets the HVAC trunk line out of the theater.

JC Theater shrunk.jpg 178k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JC Theater shrunk.jpg (178.3 KB, 11 views)
post #8 of 9 Old 08-03-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
What Tedd posted is exactly what I had in mind.

I didn't realize that everything was already framed. Perhaps you could remove the furr down between the trunk and beam to get a little more ceiling height in that area. Maybe you could build a coffered ceiling to hide the beam. Looks like a nice space to work with.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #9 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting idea guys. Yeah it is all roughly framed but anything can be changed. The entire basement is framed which is a much larger project but I am putting all that on hold in favor of getting the theater done faster

I guess I have some big decisions to make asap

JJ
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page