The miller basement theater/bar/gameroom build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-06-2012, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been planning to finish my basement for the last two years, and now, finally construction has begun!
I want to be able to have a home theater, pool table, poker table, bathroom, and bar. And I don't have a ton of space, but I think I found a layout that will work.

The theater room will measure ~14.5'x19.5' interior space. The theater will be used more for sports and video games than movies. I have not yet determined what theater equipment I am going to use. I really don't know all that much about the equipment yet. I'm open to suggestions as to what to use to fit my space. I would like to use the acoustically transparent screen to put some speakers behind the screen.

I have two different layouts, and I am still deciding which to use.

Layout #2: Closed theater layout. - CHOSEN!

Construction pics to follow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

I am using 1" tongue and groove foam on the floor and walls and 3/4" tongue and groove plywood for the subflooring. I will put fiberglass on the exterior walls for an extra R value.

This is the view of the future home theater room. The back wall will where the actual screen is located.

I've started researching soundproofing the theater, and I plan on doing all the recommended procedures for soundproofing including backer boxes, clips, OSB, and green glue.

The insulation is taking longer than I thought so far, so it could be awhile before my next update. But keep posted!
post #3 of 20 Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 AM

I like #2 but i think you should keep the full size poker table if at all possible.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If soundproofing is a priority, it will be a lot more practical to go with option no. 2 and enclose the theater. Otherwise, you would be looking at trying to soundproof the entire basement.

If you push the second row of seats all the way against the back wall, the folks in those seats won't get much in the way of rear surround effects. You might choose to do it, anyway, of course, depending on your priorities.

Your illustration shows a glass door into the theater, which would be a major source of sound leakage.

Should be a cool project! I look forward to seeing your progress.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #5 of 20 Old 08-06-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 365
With the arcade games and the pool table in the mix - if you ever plan to use the theater with others around, you'll want the theater enclosed. Watching a movie with the constant videogame/pinball noise behind, or the crack of billiard balls, was a non-starter for me. My original plan (long, long ago) was a big open game room / theater area. After having an open layout attempting to use it for both at the same time, it doesn't work...

+1 on keeping the hold'em style table. biggrin.gif

You might think about robbing some space from your storage room to recess the arcade games into a niche along the wall where you show the cue rack. Storage areas mostly about the wall/shelf space, open areas in the middle aren't nearly as critical (your needs could be different). that would free up more space for your bar / poker area. The question will be what activities to you expect to be going on at the same time.

I'd also be a bit concerned about how much stuff you've got going in the bar area. Between the poker table and the bar, plus the pathways to the theater and the bathroom, you may be squeezing too much into that space.

You sure you need that storage room? Looks like a perfect size for a poker room... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 20 Old 08-07-2012, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

The thought of the open layout is that people in the theater can mingle with those outside the theater, like during a sports game. But I think I am going to go with option 2. Sound proofing isn't the highest priority, but I would like to soundproof it if I can.

The storage space is required by the wife frown.gif, however I may be able to shrink it, and stick the arcade machines on the pool table side of that wall. It would still be hard to fit in a full poker table with the #2 layout since the theater takes up more space than the #1 layout. I'll play around with the design a little.

The theater door will not be glass, I need to change that.
post #7 of 20 Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I would think most guys, given the choice from scratch, would enclose (Option 2). I think you'll find you spend much more time watching movies by yourself than having the type of party where people and coming and going. smile.gif
post #8 of 20 Old 08-07-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPuddy View Post

The thought of the open layout is that people in the theater can mingle with those outside the theater, like during a sports game. But I think I am going to go with option 2. Sound proofing isn't the highest priority, but I would like to soundproof it if I can.

I have a dedicated theater, with a game room / bar area outside of it. My experience with sports has been that folks that *really* want to watch the game are sitting in the theater, and others will play pool or mingle at the bar while the event is playing on the TV in the game room (and from the speakers overhead).

Now, my mix is about 60/40 movies / sporting events (at least, when it comes to big groups over to watch). Sports works well in both enclosed and open, non-dedicated spaces - movies are much better in enclosed, dedicated rooms when we're talking about game rooms.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #9 of 20 Old 11-12-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Some (slow) progress!

First, there is this horrible drain pipe right in the middle of everything that I had a plumber move.
Before:

After: I had the plumber move the drain line along the floor to a support post, so they can be framed in together. The area the drain pipe is will have be a step up area, so the run along the ground will actually be under the floor.

I also had the plumber install a water backup to my sump pump. Better safe than sorry.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-12-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

I am about 2/3 done with the insulation and subflooring. I am a one man team working on this so it takes awhile.

I am using 'great stuff' spray insulation to seal any cracks in between the joists on the outside walls, then adding fiberglass to those areas as well.

After my subflooring is done, I will build my step up area which will contain the back row of the theater seating. I want to add 2 120V outlets in the back row for laptops etc to plug into. Is there anything else I should wire/plum for the back row of theater seating while I am building it and have it open?

Are there any advantages of framing first then building the step up floor on the inside of the framing? Or is it better to build the step up floor first before framing (the way I am going to try)?
post #11 of 20 Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 102
You mentioned that soundproofing is one of your goals. If so, you will want to frame your walls and install your drywall BEFORE constructing the riser for your rear seats. Consider it an item that gets built "inside" your soundproof shell.

I have additional outlets in the back of my room to power my sub and the seats that have motorized recline. I also have conduit running from my equipment closet to a LV box by the rear seats. I plan on installing a keystone wall plate and using it for wired ethernet and anything else that I might need in the future. I also installed conduit and another LV box for the same reason on the face of the riser for use by the front row seats.
post #12 of 20 Old 11-13-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

How much sound do you think can escape through the floor if I were to build the step up first? Can I add sand or insulation in the step up to help trap the sound in?

I'm only asking because it would be much easier to build my entire step up area at once instead of breaking it up with a wall. Also I would have to frame the door in off the ground if I were to frame before building the step up.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-10-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Time to revive this zombie thread. We had our first born back in January, and it's been a wonderful addition to my life, however not good for the basement progress. So after being done with the insulation and subflooring and finally hitting the 11% off at Menards, I was able to pick up some framing lumber. Hopefully I'll have some new progress in the next few weeks.

post #14 of 20 Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Congrats on the new family addition, Now get cracking on lay out #2 biggrin.gif
post #15 of 20 Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Small Update:
I was able to finish the storage room (for now), so I could haul all the crap we've accumulated over the years out of the way.

I am now working on building the step-up section of the layout including the back row of seating for the theater. I'm thinking about running some blue hose to the back seating for a couple 120V outlets before I cover it up.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-24-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Work on the step up area and back row of the home theater as begun. I really liked the stage design from Damelon and Big in the 'Back Race Theater', so I tried out their design in the front of the step up area.

Here's how it turned out

Nothing has been secured yet, which is why the half looks slightly off from the other half. That will be resolved.

The picture shows the start of the step up area (wooded area on the sketches) which will extend to the back row of the home theater. The next step this hopefully this weekend is to extend the step up back to the back of the home theater area, run a little electrical in the flooring for power seats (if needed) and insulate.

For the back row I really liked the bacon race design as well....maybe I should look at a few other threads.

More progress to come.
post #17 of 20 Old 02-24-2014, 02:58 PM

Liked: 17
What material are you putting under your riser?

Klipsch Rocks!
post #18 of 20 Old 03-10-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Plywood. If you are looking at the last picture, that is not mine. I'm just using it as inspiration
post #19 of 20 Old 03-10-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

I completed the rough framing of the step-up section over the weekend. Here is the view of the back row of seating in the theater. The red box represents the wall in the back of the theater.

Here is the view of the theater room with some rough dimensions.

Now I just need to insulate the back step up area and put down some OSB!smile.gif
post #20 of 20 Old 06-17-2014, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

I managed to close up the step-up area yesterday.

The curved steps don't look nearly as jagged as in the picture, I'm not sure why the photo came out so bad

Later this month, the wife and baby are going to visit her Uncle, leaving me with 3-4 days alone to do nothing but work on the basement! I'm hoping to finish framing everything then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	122290   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	122298  

Last edited by DavidPuddy; 06-17-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Basement Bar

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page