Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
hey Guys,

Not sure which section to post this in. I'm still in construction mode, almost done (painting stage) but one thing i've noticed is hearing a buzzing sound (ground issue) in my speakers whenever my grafikeye is turned on. Any idea how and why this is happening. It's really annoying. I've made sure not to pass any type of wire in parallel with any electrical wire. Lighting is on it's own breaker and so is my rack. I have an Integra DHC80.2 plugged into an APC J15 and all my Crown CTS amps are in a cheap power bar for now.

Any idea's how I can properly troubleshoot this?

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 284
this may not help but I had the same experience: the solid state circuit in the Grafik Eye is known to cause hum in nearby amps

there used to be chokes available for use with the Grafik Eye: they are installed externally and are kind of klunky but may address your problem

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #3 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

this may not help but I had the same experience: the solid state circuit in the Grafik Eye is known to cause hum in nearby amps
there used to be chokes available for use with the Grafik Eye: they are installed externally and are kind of klunky but may address your problem

Thanks mark, I didn't know it existed. I'll definitely check it out, but I already maxed out my room in the back-box of the GE, I think you know what I mean...lol The GE isn't even placed near my rack, it's in a completely different room. I'll check out the "chokes" thing and see if I find anything.

What did you end up doing to resolve your problem or are you still dealing with it?

AVSForum
post #4 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

^^^

I never did anything: the hum was not that bad in my system

I changed preamp and amp a few times (not because of the hum) and don't even notice if there is a hum or not now: and I run LED bulbs: the LED's draw so little current that it may help, but some LED's generate their own noise: another story but no issues here (Phillips Ambilight dimmable)

at least your electrician installed a back box: mine did not: just a conventional box and the wiring is so tight I cringe if they have to work on it

I just upgraded my whole house to RR2 and a Grafic Eye QS and Lutron QS shades: it is great

Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
post #5 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39mofo View Post

Any idea's how I can properly troubleshoot this?
If Mark's right and its the unit itself, I guess that's the end of the trouble-shooting... but just to give you something to do - does it matter which loads are on?
post #6 of 11 Old 08-08-2012, 04:21 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Just another data point. I had some manual dimmers in a wall in a room adjacent to my theater, maybe 5 feet from my receiver. Bottom line is when I upgraded from and old Yamaha to a Denon 4311ci I picked up some interference. I swapped them out for manual on-off paddle switches and the noise went away.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-08-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

^^^
I never did anything: the hum was not that bad in my system
I changed preamp and amp a few times (not because of the hum) and don't even notice if there is a hum or not now: and I run LED bulbs: the LED's draw so little current that it may help, but some LED's generate their own noise: another story but no issues here (Phillips Ambilight dimmable)
at least your electrician installed a back box: mine did not: just a conventional box and the wiring is so tight I cringe if they have to work on it
I just upgraded my whole house to RR2 and a Grafic Eye QS and Lutron QS shades: it is great

That's awesome. The RR2 is really nice. I've programmed some and they are really neat and work very well. I'm using an old GRX-2404 that I picked up fairly inexpensive on Ebay, I was already over budget in the theater so I was lucky to even get a GE. How are you liking your Shades? I've seen them and working out a quote right now for my living room. They are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

If Mark's right and its the unit itself, I guess that's the end of the trouble-shooting... but just to give you something to do - does it matter which loads are on?
I was hoping to have a better solution than that. I still have a hard time believing that my GE is giving off that much noise and my rack is pretty far away and in a completely different room. It doesn't which load is on, you hear a hum/buzz in the speakers if one zone or all are on : S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Just another data point. I had some manual dimmers in a wall in a room adjacent to my theater, maybe 5 feet from my receiver. Bottom line is when I upgraded from and old Yamaha to a Denon 4311ci I picked up some interference. I swapped them out for manual on-off paddle switches and the noise went away.

My father-in-law has the Maestro dimmer right near his gear without any issues. I really don't want to switch from a GE to paddle switches, that takes away from a huge effect. I hope I don't have to come to that anyways...lol

AVSForum
post #8 of 11 Old 08-08-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I just picked up 2 G5BLK from APC/AV, I'm only going to have a chance to try it out on the week-end, have a busy schedule this week. I read the specs and it says it can do the following:

-Isolated filter banks Eliminates electromagnetic and radio frequency interference (EMI/RFI) as a source of audio-video signal degradation.

You guys think it's the same interference I'm getting?

AVSForum
post #9 of 11 Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I FOUND THE CULPRIT....biggrin.gif

My father-in-law came over and showed him my progress and told him about the buzzing sound. He told me to go unplug my cable from the set-top box and sure enough, the hum/buzz was completely gone.

I'm guessing the splitter needs to be grounded? I have to play around with it sometime tonight. So there you have it. It was as simple as that.

Thanks guys for all your help.

AVSForum
post #10 of 11 Old 08-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

ah cable ground loop

cable grounds usually are at a slightly different level than your house: you can try to improve the grounds or...

buy a ground loop isolator: a common item

if you use internet cable service, there is a ground loop isolator specifically designed for that

usually your cable company will come out and fix that for you

glad you found it

Link to sponsors
post #11 of 11 Old 08-09-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the help anyways.... I will call my provider. I have another cable box hooked up in my rack without any issues, only the other one when disconnected resolves the issue. So I will definitely call them.

Thanks Bud wink.gif

AVSForum
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page