Help with choosing projector for new theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-09-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for a little while. I just finished my basement. my "theater" is more of a media room. It is 16 x17 with the back wall being pocket doors that slide into wall to open up to the rest of the basement. Primary use is sports/movies with secondary video games. The room itself is light controlled with only one small window. Sound proofing has been done, except obviously the pocket door, which isn't a big issue. I have it wired for 7.1 surround and put in 2.5 inch pvc piping as conduit for cables. I have 2 questions:
1) Thoughts on Projector? Budget is around 2500. I've researched the Epson 5010 and the Panasonic AE7000, but could I do the Epson 3010? or other projector. Is the 5010 or 7000 worth the extra money for my use.
2) This room seem big enough for 7.1? I've got my eye on the Yamaha V673.

Dimensions: 16 x17 feet with back doors closed ( ran into problems with wet bar area and rec room, so couldn't make it longer!)
Tray ceiling at 8.5 feet with soffits at 7.5 feet, projector could be mounted on either.

I appreciate any input, because I am really new at this stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Welcome to the forum!

You're likely to find better advice on one of the projector sub forums for that part of your question.

A quick sketch of the floor plan roughly to scale showing seating will help with the audio question. Layout is a bigger factor than size for 7.1. And we like photos too!

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #3 of 11 Old 08-09-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much! I'll take your advice and send my question on projectors to that forum. I will post pics tomorrow. I do not have any real furniture yet, but have some ideas that I will share with the pics. I have no risers due to wanting to open up the room for sporting events.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, here are some new pics. As I said I don't have any furniture for it yet, right now, as I plan the rest of the theater, it has a couch and a small LCD TV in for my kids.

I'm not sure about that nook in back. It was in my basement foundation. I figure I make a built in cabinet, but I'm open to suggestions.

The doors are 3 feet wide, with 3.5 feet of open wall inside theater to each side.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-11-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I would not get the 3010. I owned one for 30 days and while it was decent, the blacks are pretty washed out. The 5010 would be my choice, or if you want to save some money check out the Acer 9500 which is what I ended up with. Perfect 3D, and nice dark blacks.

I would also consider Denon vs Yamaha for receivers for Audyssey EQ. Yamaha used YPAO for EQ, but I have never really been impressed with it.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-11-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 139
If 3D isn't of great interest, in that price range your best bet would be a JVC RS45. For 2D nothing comes close to image quality until you hit the $4500+ range of projectors. I would even check out the B-Stock special AVScience is running at the moment. You could score an RS40 or an RS45 for a really good price.

---------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #7 of 11 Old 08-11-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

If 3D isn't of great interest, in that price range your best bet would be a JVC RS45. For 2D nothing comes close to image quality until you hit the $4500+ range of projectors. I would even check out the B-Stock special AVScience is running at the moment. You could score an RS40 or an RS45 for a really good price.

+1

Willie
post #8 of 11 Old 08-12-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 98
The RS40 had a lot of reported bulb issues. Is this resolved with the RS45?
post #9 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 12:10 PM

Liked: 19
The jury is still out on the RS40 lamp issues. The RS40, 45, 50, 55 all use the same lamp. Not sure with the 60 and 65.

If you pick up one of the B-Stock units from AVS, you can feel confident that AVS will take care of you if you have any lamp or projector issues. The B-Stock units carry the full 2 year warranty from JVC.

I bought one of the RS40 B-Stock units as did a friend. His lamp just took a nose dive on brightness (300 or so hours) and he will be calling AVS for assistance. I'm still building my theater so I don't have any hours on my projector yet.

We both have 002 lamps and fully expect them to fail, but knowing AVS is covering our backs made us comfortable with purchasing the RS40 units.

You can't find a nicer projector for the price of the B-Stock units.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 12:16 PM

Liked: 20
Depending on your urgency you might want to wait for the new models that come out in the fall.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

what time in fall do new models tend to role out?

I also need something that can work for sports with mild ambient light. Will the JVC's work?

Thanks for the replies!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page