post #31 of 45 Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Looks great, Shan. How far off the floor did you mount your front speakers? The one pic showing the front left speaker seems pretty high, but might be just about right if you sit mostly in the back. I think I mounted mine half way between front and back row ear heights but mine still seem a lot lower than yours. Just curious.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. It turned out great.

They are a bit high since the rear platform was up so high. The tweeter is right about 5 feet from floor level. Front row is about 10' from the screen wall and 18 feet for the rear.

/edit - I sit mostly in the front row, but I don't really hear a difference sitting in the back row. Both sound about the same. This was the height Dennis recommended, so I do what I am good at and did what I was told. smile.gif

Shan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 05-26-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Someone asked me in PM about the cost breakdown of building the theater. I don't ever see much of that around so I was thinking about posting it here. I'll combine most vendor prices to hide exactly what I paid, but I could it could give some folks a rough idea of what they are getting into. Anyone know if there is a forum rule against it?

Shan
post #33 of 45 Old 05-26-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

They are a bit high since the rear platform was up so high. The tweeter is right about 5 feet from floor level. Front row is about 10' from the screen wall and 18 feet for the rear.

/edit - I sit mostly in the front row, but I don't really hear a difference sitting in the back row. Both sound about the same. This was the height Dennis recommended, so I do what I am good at and did what I was told. smile.gif

Shan

I went back and read your previous posts and forgot that your riser is 18" high. It makes sense that your speakers are pretty high as well. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:

Someone asked me in PM about the cost breakdown of building the theater. I don't ever see much of that around so I was thinking about posting it here. I'll combine most vendor prices to hide exactly what I paid, but I could it could give some folks a rough idea of what they are getting into. Anyone know if there is a forum rule against it?

Shan

I hope not. I have a complete cost breakdown in my thread. Either it's ok or the mods haven't found it yet. wink.gif Not sure if the format I used would be of any help, but you can save an Excel version of mine and edit accordingly. It's in the first post of my thread.
post #34 of 45 Old 05-26-2013, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

I hope not. I have a complete cost breakdown in my thread. Either it's ok or the mods haven't found it yet. wink.gif Not sure if the format I used would be of any help, but you can save an Excel version of mine and edit accordingly. It's in the first post of my thread.

Ya, it had been a long time since I read through your thread. I had forgotten it was there. Wonder why more people don't post the details. Mine will not be nearly as detailed as yours. My bigger concern was the prices of electronics and such I purchased for AVS Vendors. Not sure how they feel about their prices being posted on here.

Well, I'll post it tomorrow and just put most of the vendor related pricing combined and people can IM me if they want more detail. smile.gif

BTW, I have no clue how you made your money go so far. Simply amazing and a very nice looking end result. smile.gif

Shan
post #35 of 45 Old 05-29-2013, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Your theater is awesome!...exactly like how I would like mine, simple and an awesome looking theater. Any pics of your equipment room?...as I also plan to have the equipment room in another small room.

Looks awesome!
post #36 of 45 Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post

Your theater is awesome!...exactly like how I would like mine, simple and an awesome looking theater. Any pics of your equipment room?...as I also plan to have the equipment room in another small room.

Looks awesome!

So, if you could describe this theater in one word, would it be awesome?? biggrin.gif

I agree - this theater turned out great.

post #37 of 45 Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Shan, Congratulations on a beautiful and well thought-out theater!
post #38 of 45 Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I did build a dedicated equipment closet/room outside the theater. i have been hesitant to post pictures since the finish work around the racks and final wiring is not done, but I'll take a couple shots and post them anyhow...likely tonight. I'll also get the price list posted soon.

Thanks again! It is nice to finally have joined the ranks and I have been enjoying movies much more since I finished it. Rarely go to a public theater anymore.

Shan
post #39 of 45 Old 05-31-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Wow! Nice work. Ever get a chance to post those pics?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #40 of 45 Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry for the delay on posting the pics of the equipment room.

The room is about 53" x 43". It has a door on the front for direct equipment access and a door on the side to get behind everything. All of the speaker wires route into the theater through the connecting wall at the back and the video cables come in from the ceiling...the room is not accessible from the theater (did not want sound leaking into the house). The interior is just finished drywall and the floor is ceramic tile. The ceiling is slightly lowered since my joist width did not work for the fan I wanted to use.

You'll have to excuse the messy wires visible from the front as I have not finished. My plan is to purchase rack mount face/mounting plates for all equipment that are not rack mounted and build a wood surround to fill in the gaps between the rack edges and the door frame. I'll have to pull everything out to do that so I wanted some time to let things settle and make sure I have it all where I want. I will also mount power poles inside the closet at that time, as I am now plugging in all the wall warts to surge protectors mounted on the sides of the rack. As I noted on my electrical plan, the room is fed by 3 dedicated 20Amp circuits. For the most part, the Amps are on two circuits and everything else is on the remaining. The projector is also connected through the Power Conditioner via a kit similar to this one (Link).

The closet is vented to my family room directly. Right now the fan is always on, but I have the parts to change it to an Insteon controlled system that will kick on when the temp gets above 75 degrees and turn off when it comes back down to 72...mainly so that the fan is not on when I am not using the theater. I used a 1.0 Sones Broan fan that is powerful (75cfm), but nearly silent.

I did not take pics of the inside of the room because I do not have the wide angle lens I normally use and it is too messy in there to share. :P I'll post some later in the year when I get the rack finished...probably after I get the PS4 and decide if I am keeping the PS3.

You can ignore the messy TV install in the family room too...I have not gotten the black fabric up around it yet. Been too busy watching movies. smile.gif

Anyhow, here you go:

The equipment in the rack, from top to bottom is:
  • Monoprice 1000VA/500W Power Conditioner and Battery Backup (Link)
  • Monster Power Reference Power Conditioner HTS 2500 MKII
  • Playstation 3 (Original)
  • Home Theater PC (Win7 in an Antec Fusion Pro HTPC Case)
  • Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre-Processor
  • 2 x 4U Middle Atlantic Drawers
  • AudioControl Savoy G3 7x200Watt (400Watt into 4 Ohms) Amp
  • Triad RackAmp 600
  • 3 x Triad RackAmp 350
  • 2 x Buttkicker BKA-1000N Amp

If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Shan
post #41 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 10:25 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Apparently my last post never went up so I am way behind on here. Lot of changes since the end of September.

Here are the pics of the stage and riser that did not go up:

Shan

I'm curious on how you framed out your riser with osb .. did you use h-beams or 2x's and face it with the osb?

thanks
post #42 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamie View Post

I'm curious on how you framed out your riser with osb .. did you use h-beams or 2x's and face it with the osb?

thanks

My builder built the frame with 2x4's along with a long 2x8 beam on the face with 2x8 joists spanning the short dimension and then covered the top and faced the front with two layers of 3/4" Plywood with green glue between the layers. I wish I had pictures, but he did it while I was at work and forgot to take pics of the framing.

Shan
post #43 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:

My builder built the frame with 2x4's along with a long 2x8 beam on the face with 2x8 joists spanning the short dimension and then covered the top and faced the front with two layers of 3/4" Plywood with green glue between the layers. I wish I had pictures, but he did it while I was at work and forgot to take pics of the framing.

Shan

thanks. I've wondered if anybody used the h-beams/I-beams and yours was the first I had seen that possibly could have. I would be easy to strip a 2x4 into 2x2's and nail them to each side of osb cut to height and it would be much cheaper than using 2x6, 2x8, etc.

I don't know if this pic will load, but this is what I'm talking about

IJoist.jpg 6k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IJoist.jpg (5.9 KB, 4 views)
post #44 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamie View Post

thanks. I've wondered if anybody used the h-beams/I-beams and yours was the first I had seen that possibly could have. I would be easy to strip a 2x4 into 2x2's and nail them to each side of osb cut to height and it would be much cheaper than using 2x6, 2x8, etc.

I don't know if this pic will load, but this is what I'm talking about

Ya, I knew what you were talking about. When my brother had his house built, they used that construction for his first floor joists (single story home) to eliminate any posts in the basement. The only thing I have noticed about his house (and I don't know it would have the same effect here...his span is much longer) is that there is a lot of give to his joists...when his kids are running on the other side of the house or the clothes dryer is on spin cycle, you can really feel it. In my case, I just told by builder the dimensions and let him build it the way he wanted...my only requirement was no vibration sounds on hard bass hits or creaks when people walked on it...his design met both of those requirements.

Shan
post #45 of 45 Old 03-11-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Ya, I knew what you were talking about. When my brother had his house built, they used that construction for his first floor joists (single story home) to eliminate any posts in the basement. The only thing I have noticed about his house (and I don't know it would have the same effect here...his span is much longer) is that there is a lot of give to his joists...when his kids are running on the other side of the house or the clothes dryer is on spin cycle, you can really feel it. In my case, I just told by builder the dimensions and let him build it the way he wanted...my only requirement was no vibration sounds on hard bass hits or creaks when people walked on it...his design met both of those requirements.

Shan

yeah, I wouldn't want them as joist on a suspended floor for the reasons you stated, but it sure would save a lot of money if you didn't have to buy those larger 2x's. I've seen a lot of them where they rout down the center and then slide in the osb, but I think ripping the 2x4's on the tablesaw would be a whole lot faster. I was glad to see osb used in a double wall construction along with the GG. I like the idea of being able to put a nail anywhere without having to find a stud. And for me, I can cut a sheet of osb and it doesn't have the dust sheetrock does. Hopefully, one day I'll be able to build a theater room.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page