Can I safely put a projector in a tray ceiling? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 7 Old 08-13-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a theater and I would love to cut a box into my tray border to place a projector. Mainly to hide the projector and wires. I am scared that the projector would get too hot. Any thoughts? should I build some sort of venting system to cool it down? If it is a bad idea to do this I can just put the projector in front of the tray...I have not bought the projector yet. I am thinking of something similar to this:

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 Old 08-13-2012, 04:50 PM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 521
It's completely "do-able" but certain criteria must be followed, some of such with absolutely no fudging.

All important info:

What PJ?

Dimensions of Tray ( Depth / Height / Interior Framing)

Due to specific needs and restrictions, your PJ choices my be limited.

Factors that go into the decision making process:

PJ with Len's Shift?
Top of Screen edge's height on Presentation wall?
Throw Distance?
Available circulation / HVAC /110 ac ?

In reality, much of what needs to be done to accommodate such a "built-in" is rudimentary, common sense thinking. But of course, we all lack such at times, or are forced to make due with what we can conjure up...or that others (ie: wives) will let "us" consider as appropriate. Then....dammit....there's that 'ol Budgetary consideration to deal with...followed by whatever work ethic and skills we posses (...or our lack thereof... rolleyes.gif)

Rest assured that there are myriads of fellow members with enough good advice to get you through this sort of thing in a reasonably easy manner.

It's the wading through all the advice you'll be getting that is the most daunting challenge. biggrin.gif

OH yeah....Welcome to AVS and active Posting! Let's help ya "Get'ter Dun !!!
AirBenji likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
post #3 of 7 Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
If you search for threads on Hush Boxes you will find many solutions for solving the cooling issue. Just think of this project as a hush box recessed in your tray ceiling.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Liked: 10
Thank you both for your replies and advice. The confusing stuff with the pics is that it doesn't look like they used a hush box...It just looks like a shelf they built and have it sitting on. Can I assume that they have built some unseen venting system to cool the projector? Thanks again
post #5 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Yes definitely. Most projectors spit out a significant amount of heat and will overheat rather quickly if not adequately vented. Poor venting also has a big impact on bulb life. (If you're unfamiliar with projectors, bulbs aren't cheap: price varies based on model and you can find deals, but the ballpark is probably something like $100 - $400).

I guess it may depend on the location of the projector's vents, but I wouldn't install a projector in close quarters like pictured above without some active venting. As BIG said above - lots of options on that, some more involved than others.

MMan is right as well - you'll need to consider the relationship of the lens to the top of the screen, lens shift, etc. but those issues are not exclusive to mounting in a tray ceiling (although the tray option likely presents more constraints than a standard pole mounting situation). Make sure you confront these issues before building because you don't want to build everything and then see that...crap...the image is partially blocked or doesn't fit the screen... There are tons of knowledgeable folks here who will help you with that if you need it. Good luck!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
post #6 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member
Liked: 20
some projectors can intake air from the front and exhaust air from the front..3010 epson model looks like it can do this. keep in mind the manual of the projector. It will say how much area is needed around the projector while it operates.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold
Liked: 14
I have put many in as stated above the epsons fit well for this because of the exhast just follow the instructions they usally want one or two inches clearance around it. The only issue I have had is with 3d you may need to get an exteranl emmiter whenever I tuck them in like that it seems to effect the syncing of the glasses.

Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.

908 578-6466

Sponsored Links
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page