Do I need acoustic treatment pannels on the CIELING? (exposed beam ) - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Accoustic Pannels needed?
Yes! 0 0%
No! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys

I understand the concept of using acoustic panels on first reflection points of the speakers ( walls, ground, ceiling ) but I have a situation which is different from basically anyone on here.

My ceiling has been sprayed black. it is all open exposed beam/joist/hvac without any drywall. Now, I have treated my walls/rear wall but have yet to do the ceiling. I am wondering if I even need to do so? I dont have any real measuring tools so see what the sound is doing but my theory is this. Since its not completely flat and dry walled causing the sound to bounce off like a mirror to the listening position, I figured the way it is now is similar to a diffuser. What do you guys think? Any sound headed up in my eyes would just be sent every which way since it has vertical joists every 16"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 05:55 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 738
How does the room sound to you now? Is the dialog clear? the bass tight? When you walk around the room do you notice any peaks and nulls in the bass? Do you hear a lot of resonances. Are there certain places where you can hear the sound reflecting off of metal duct work?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Since it's exposed, and not drywalled, you've got a superb, yet untapped, scenario for bass trapping. If you could install either soft, fluffy insulation, or rigid 703 panels, in the area where a typical ceiling would be, the additional space behind the insulation would make the bass trapping effectiveness very, very high and quite extended into the lower octaves as the extension is a function of the depth and space off the boundary. A well damped room offers a great platform for tighter, well delineated bass response.

That covers the pressure region below the transition. Above the transition high level reflected energy can be problematic, but as you stated, it may be soewhat scattered and possibly decorrelated. Measurments would quickly determine if this is of concern or not.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB

Tags
Speaker Systems