Kegerator Install - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys,

I just bought a refrigerator conversion kit, I am looking to install 1 tap in my bar area but wondering which mini fridge I should get? I would ideally like to put a 1/2 keg in, but any advice on which to get that would be the easiest to convert would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I highly recommend checking out the Home Brew Talk forum. Even if you aren't brewing your own beer, they have tons of information on beer fridges, etc. You will find lots of ideas there. You may even get the bug to brew your own beer wink.gif.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Another good resource is micromatic.com. They have a good forum there. I personally got an edgestar fridge from kegerator.com. It had a pre-drilled hole in the top which can accomodate one of micromatic's tap kits. I used it for a remote tap and just pulled the beer line through the hole in the top of the fridge and ran into through a wall to the bar area. It's worked great but I had to modify it slightly in order to refrigerate the line all the way from the fridge to the tap, which is highly recommended.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Something to consider - I was not able to find any installable mini-fridges that were specifically rated as being very quiet. You will likely hear the compressor running in your room. I was hoping to find a wine-cooler type fridge (that use silent peltier cooling) but was unable to find one cold enough.

In the end I decided to do a keg fridge outside my room. The compromise was mitigated by the fact I used a full sized fridge and installed 2 taps instead of one smile.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

I highly recommend checking out the Home Brew Talk forum. Even if you aren't brewing your own beer, they have tons of information on beer fridges, etc. You will find lots of ideas there. You may even get the bug to brew your own beer wink.gif.

+1. That forum is chock full of knowledge. There are thousands of guys doing exactly what the OP is wanting to do. cool.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hey rs691919.

If you don't mind me asking what did you use to modify? I'm actually going install a kegarator under my bar then run the tap line for about 6-8 inches up thru the bar and mount the tap on the bar itself. what would you suggest to insulate/modify the 6-8 inches of line or what did you do with your mod to keep the beer cold while traveling?

matt
post #7 of 7 Old 08-16-2012, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hmm, 6-8 inches is such a short distance. Mine was more like 2 feet. I bought a small air blower that I installed in the fridge; connected a flexible hose to the blower and ran it next to the beer line within a PVC conduit. Insulated the conduit. The blower pushes cold air from the fridge into the hose and keeps the beer line cool. The air hose just dead ends so the air is recirculated through the PVC back to the fridge. I'll upload some pics that show how. You can also buy glycol-cooled components that will cool the tube using chemicals -- I didn't do a lot of research on that but if you go over to the micromatic forum you can probably find out how this works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page