Just testing the waters, may actually do a home theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-17-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone.
Man, am I glad I found this forum, although I wish I had found it 6 years ago when we built our house. Oh well, no time like the present...
I already have surround sound in my living room and in my bedroom, and was planning on doing surround sound with a flat-panel television and a couch or two when we finish our basement.
However, after looking at projectors and then finding this forum, I'm thinking about going the home theater route. My wife isn't too thrilled with the idea of a dark room with fabric everywhere, but I think she'll warm up to it as I show her ideas and examples from this forum.
I think at this point I'd like to just ask if the space I have would work for a theater area. I apologize for the rudimentary drawing, but basically I have a 19' 8" wide by 16' 5" long room, but the room is broken up by a center ceiling beam (and a HVAC closet) that makes part of the room have a lower ceiling and less real estate due to the closet.
So I basically have 13' 8" wide by 16' 5" long to work with, with a 10" 8" area for a viewing wall (a stairwell is behind it, so I do have room behind the wall to work with). I'd like to get two rows of theater chairs in there if I could.
I already had the speaker wire run and cable box for a flat panel/surround layout...if I'd only found this forum a few weeks earlier I would have things wired differently but the contractors actually work for our company and they've already finished the drywall hanging and are mudding today. I don't have the luxury of having them re-do anything at this point.
Does this look 'workable'? Sorry for the chicken scratch but I basically am showing receptacles, speaker in and speaker out wires, etc. We do have one dimmer for the 2 floods in the shallower part of the basement and one dimmer for the 4 floods in the larger part.

facing the rear wall from the door

facing the screen/viewing wall

facing the shallow area from the door

the viewing area and HVAC closet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 281
It's workable, and you can get two rows in there - but probably not recliners.

I sure would have recommended you turn it sideways...
post #3 of 11 Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't know anything about anything but I'd consider putting the screen next to the HVAC closet on the 16.5' wall. You should then be able to get 2 rows of recliners. The soffit doesn't look like it would be in the way...
post #4 of 11 Old 08-17-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Very workable if you can be happy with one row of seats. If you need to have two rows I'd look at one row of normal recliners and a back row of the theater type seating. If you do look at the theater seating prepare yourself for sticker shock.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5
post #5 of 11 Old 08-17-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

It's workable, and you can get two rows in there - but probably not recliners.
I sure would have recommended you turn it sideways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post

I don't know anything about anything but I'd consider putting the screen next to the HVAC closet on the 16.5' wall. You should then be able to get 2 rows of recliners. The soffit doesn't look like it would be in the way...

Yeah, I'm still tossing around the possibility of using a different wall...the problem is that on the long 16' 5" wall (the poured wall), they turned the 2x4's sideways to accommodate the door frame, so I don't have any room there to work with. I could put the screen next to the HVAC closet on that 16'5" wall, there is an open area behind the wall...but the ceiling height there is 6'8" for the 6' beside the closet, so I may have a problem getting the projector to hit it right? (I'm a noob)...and I'm not sure if a 2nd row of chairs on a riser would be able to see the screen on that wall (if the soffit would block their view somewhat?)

I think it may help to put this into a computer program and see what happens...is there a software of choice for beginners to this? I'm pretty adept at 'the computer' but never have messed with planning programs.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnthudson View Post

Y.is there a software of choice for beginners to this? I'm pretty adept at 'the computer' but never have messed with planning programs.

Those room dimensions sure look a lot more workable than what I had.

I did my 3D layout with Google Sketchup. It's free. Took a little getting used to, but hey, it's free.

My room looks almost exactly like my Sketchup. I can't tell you how invaluable it was to have a real-time 3D model with me on my flash drive at all times.

Looking at Monoprice.com "How long does my HDMI cable need to be? I'll run home at lunch, I'll use a piece of string through the Smurftube and then measure the st-- Oh wait. I can use the ruler in Sketchup to figure that out in 30 seconds right now."
tnthudson likes this.

Just keep talkin'. I'll let you know when you're right.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-17-2012, 01:13 PM

This was a few weeks ago before a repaint, trim, and the carpet.

Here's the SketchUp perspective.

And here's the Master perspective. Aside from the paint color change, this is pretty much what it looks like.

post #8 of 11 Old 08-17-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Nice! And you're right, the sketch is dead on. Did you think you were going to get that lady to show up? smile.gif Kidding, it does look nice...if you don't mind my asking, what size room is that? Looks close to what I have to work with.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-17-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnthudson View Post

Nice! And you're right, the sketch is dead on. Did you think you were going to get that lady to show up? smile.gif Kidding, it does look nice...if you don't mind my asking, what size room is that? Looks close to what I have to work with.

Oh God. It's a bowling Alley. 11' 4" x 23'.

True story: I downloaded a blonde bombshell to sit in one of the seats and my beautiful red-haired betrothed looked over my shoulder and cleared her throat really hard. Hmmm. Search for 'Redhead?' Yep. Delete the blonde and download the redhead. FIXED!

post #10 of 11 Old 08-17-2012, 01:40 PM

Oh. Maybe I should mention that you can download almost anything you can think of from the shared objects features. PS3? Sure. Yamaha AV Receiver? Yup. Optima HD20 projector? No. How about an Epson? Okay.

Unfortunately, if you want to see light sources and get lamp throes, you have to buy a third party app that costs $800. Otherwise you can monkey around a little with the ambient light and get some reasonable shadow action.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-17-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Nice, I'll remember that trick. Wow you did well with that space. Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page