Prices to build a HT Room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-18-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK My current HT is set up in my living room. As I continue to add stuff the WAF drops. I just added a HTPC and that was the last straw. lol

Wife wants me out. Gave me the ok to build a room onto my house just for my HT.
I have the slightest idea what the cost would be. I have all AV the equipment needed for the HT. Id like to build a room that I can update with more av stuff as needed. I dont want nothing too huge, maybe big enough to fit 5 leather theater chairs.

What price do you think this would cost from start to finish?

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-18-2012, 04:28 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Contact some local contractors and ask them for an estimate of putting a family room addition on the side of your house. Home building methods and costs vary greatly by region.

Factors that can drive cost include the type of foundation, whether there are utilities that have to be moved, requirements for HVAC, adequacy of your electrical service and whether an addition will require a mandatory upgrade of the service panel. Whether there are other existing code issues that will need to be remedied once you pull a permit and you are on the inspectors radar. Often a major addition triggers a counties desire to have everything in your house brought up to code.

Of course assuming you want the addition to match the house, the level of current exterior finishes will dictate some costs.

Having said that $125-200 per sq ft.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-18-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok thanks for the help.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 59
You will also want to make sure that the room is connected with the living portion of the house if you plan on it adding any value to the home or want to get a loan for the project. If the addition is not connected to the main living quarters correctly it then becomes what is known by banks and appaisers as an accessory unit and there are many many draw backs on getting any value out of them. I just added a 3 car garage and a 1300sqft area with full bath, theater, bar, laundry room, closets, etc... (pretty much another house) and our appraisal only went up 35% of what it cost me to build it myself. Just a warning on the crazy laws about accessory units and why to stay away from them until the government decides that the actual cost can be used to value them. Very shady stuff really! If I were to add another room onto our house that connected the accessory unit to our house instead of it being connected to the garage the house would be valued over $150,000 more than it is now. I was lucky enough that we had ways to pay for it but taking the loss if every sell the house will be huge if cant find buyers with enough cash to cover the appaised value difference.

But, you can use anywhere from around $70 to $90 as a guess per sqft of the costs for finished space and that includes plumbing, elec, hvac etc...
post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Having said that $125-200 per sq ft.
Quote:
anywhere from around $70 to $90 as a guess per sqft

What we have heah, is a FAIL-ya to co-MUN-i-cate. It would help to know WHERE the OP is located as labor rates vary widely across the country. Does the OP plan to do any of the finishing work himself, or trust a local contractor to finish the theater correctly? What are the soundproofing goals, etc?

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page