Placement of In Wall Speakers behind AT Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm planning to purhase a 100" Enlightor 4K AT screen and place it in a dedicated theater room. I don't plan on cutting into the drywall because it's up against an ICF concrete/foam wall with sound clips and furring channel... leaving only an an inch or so behind the drywall. I was thinking of using a black ATS acoustic panel 4" thick and cutting holes for some Paradigm in wall speakers (with their backbox) and then placing the AT screen 1" inch in front of the speakers. This would leave 5" between the drywall and the false wall on which the AT screen would be placed. I would place all 3 LCR speakers behind the screen starting at about 30" from the floor (the screen will be 24" above the floor). Each speaker is 36.5"H and 9" wide. The edge of the the L and R would be placed about 1' from the edge of each side of the screen. Does anyone have any better suggestions on how to do this? Any help would be appreciated!

Here's the link to the acoustic panel from ATS... http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--ATS-Acoustic-Panel-Custom-Size--1012.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 09:14 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Just buy some OC703 cut your holes, cover the yellow insulation with black muslin. Same result, probably cheaper. Another upgrade to your idea is to get some Triad in-wall speakers and just mount on wall surrounded by the 703 or other material.

I just can see buying a perfectly good fabric covered panel and cutting holes it it. Just buy the insulation and some fabric.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Just buy some OC703 cut your holes, cover the yellow insulation with black muslin. Same result, probably cheaper. Another upgrade to your idea is to get some Triad in-wall speakers and just mount on wall surrounded by the 703 or other material.
I just can see buying a perfectly good fabric covered panel and cutting holes it it. Just buy the insulation and some fabric.

Thanks, BIGmouth. I found some OC703. Still trying to figure out speaker placement with LRC behind the AT screen. I bought The Theater Book, which has a ton of great information, but doesn't get to this question... and I can't seem to find it on this forum.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 01:12 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

What is your intended screen width, room width and seating distance?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

What is your intended screen width, room width and seating distance?

Screen width is 100"W X 56"H (115" Diagonal 16:9). The room is about 17' X 20'. If I allow one foot for the AT screen depth, my first row viewing distance is around 11'. The second set of seats will be located behind an L-shape desk on a riser, with viewing at around 17'. I've got to learn how to use a plan drafting program... but here's it is scratched out on graph paper.

post #6 of 9 Old 08-19-2012, 02:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

IMHO with that set up only the center channel should be behind the screen. the LR should to the sides of the screen. You could make black fabric panels if you want to hide the speakers. The usual recommendation is to put the tweeter at ear level. If the rear row will get a lot of use you may want to split the difference of the main seating and the riser seating.

If that was my space I would center the screen and seating in the room sacrificing aisle width for the sake of visual and audio symmetry.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Big is correct about the speakers needing to be on the outside of the screen. They will give you the impression of switching from one side of the screen to the other with them spaced out beyond the screen where they wouldnt if they were jammed together behind it.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

Big is correct about the speakers needing to be on the outside of the screen. They will give you the impression of switching from one side of the screen to the other with them spaced out beyond the screen where they wouldnt if they were jammed together behind it.

Yes, I've found that Big is correct about most things. smile.gif I'm redesigning my room to add better symmetry to my planned room per Big's advice. I thought about making the screen larger to accommodate all three speakers behind. Do you iknow what size of screen would be required/recommeded to do this. I'm just trying to noodle this out a bit more... and gain knowledge in the process. Thanks!
post #9 of 9 Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Well on a 17' wide room you would be looking at a huge screen which would then require a light cannon so the prices start rising fast on the whole project. I'd say you would be looking right around an 11' -12' wide screen and probably closer to 12'.

My room is 18' wide and I had to have a 13' wide screen to fit all of them behind it. And mine are closer to the edge than I would like but they are back there now.

If I were you I wouldnt really worry about having them behind the screen unless you a worried about how the sound will be different between the L/R and the center. If you have EQ in line the center should be able to be matched to the L/R that are on the outside of the screen. Once you start getting into the really wide screens the prices just start going through the roof for both screens and projectors if you want a great picture.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page