New Project - Northern Va - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 08-19-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

Long time lurker here and brief poster back in '08 (wow did not realize it has been that long). Lots has changed since my original post and to make a long story short we did not complete the original build back in 08' however we are about 90 days out from completing our new home in the Northern Va. As previously stated, I have been a member of the forum for a while and have watched (from the sidelines) this group complete some great theater builds.

Attached is a copy of the basement layout including media room dimensions. The builder will finish our basement during construction but we left the media room unfinished. We want to make sure when we complete the media room it is done right. To that end, we are seeking for layout ideas from the group. We already looked into the services Dennis has available and still may go that route however, we may choose to put in some sweat equity into this project (saving a few dollars in the process).

I would not consider myself construction savvy but I am not afraid of hard work. Who knows BIG may have an opening soon and we can discuss the project. Thanks in advance and we look forward to any feedback or questions.

B2

B2
Living the dream....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-19-2012, 03:23 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2round View Post

but we left the media room unfinished. We want to make sure when we complete the media room it is done right. To that end, we are seeking for layout ideas from the group. We already looked into the services Dennis has available and still may go that route however, we may choose to put in some sweat equity into this project (saving a few dollars in the process).
I would not consider myself construction savvy but I am not afraid of hard work. Who knows BIG may have an opening soon and we can discuss the project.

Sweat equity is good and will save you more than a few dollars.
Having a plan is good
Using Big is good, I can show you how to do anything you want to tackle.

Where are they putting your electrical service panel?
Even enlarging the floor plan I can't read the dimensions on the media room. Is that a closet at the bottom left?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Awesome! Looking forward to this build.

@Jeff/Big, yes, it looks like there's a closet at the bottom left, and a unused storage area right next to the room. I'm "guessing" the dimension is 15'-16' wide, 17'-18' long....

~ Gary

)

post #4 of 22 Old 08-19-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Big,

There are 2 - 200 amps electrical panels in the garage. The exact dimensions of the rooms are 16’-9 ½” X 20-4” with 9’ ceilings. The media closet in the back left of the room is 2-1/2” X 5’-8". I am trying to post a better picture of the room but I am unable to get it to upload.

B2

B2
Living the dream....

post #5 of 22 Old 08-19-2012, 07:28 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Your theater will likely need 3 20 amp circuits that as an unfinished room they will probably not provide. Since your panel is in the garage (major PIA) it will be a lot easier if someone were to pull in runs of 12 gauge Romex NOW that the walls are open. One for lighting, One for wherever your equipment stack ends up and one for various new outlets for the Subs, Chairs, ventilation fans and whatever.

PROJECTS:

post #6 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 04:51 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Just a FYI having the door at the back corner of the room presents a few challenges. If you can enter the room at riser height that helps you do this by having a step up outside the room, You could flip the room orientation if you moved the wall for the storage area and slid the door a bit toward the outside walls and entered just ahead of the screen.

Another issue is the closet is where you want riser so may want to raise the door if you keep that at the back.

Not to be an alarmist but looking at your floor plan and the location of the HVAC you may have duct work hanging down from your nice 9 ft ceiling to feed the floor above.

PROJECTS:

post #7 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Your theater will likely need 3 20 amp circuits that as an unfinished room they will probably not provide. Since your panel is in the garage (major PIA) it will be a lot easier if someone were to pull in runs of 12 gauge Romex NOW that the walls are open. One for lighting, One for wherever your equipment stack ends up and one for various new outlets for the Subs, Chairs, ventilation fans and whatever.

if you can get them to pull those wires that would be ideal, but if not your garage is near the media room so not too to bad i had to pull a 6/3 cable from my garage to a distro panel that i located in the basement to be honest cutting the the holes to run the wire sucked but i also did in the middle of the summer which made it 10 times worse

Falcon Screens

post #8 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Since your panel is in the garage (major PIA) it will be a lot easier if someone were to pull in runs of 12 gauge Romex NOW that the walls are open.
I would suggest it's probably worth it to just go ahead and run a sub panel to the basement at this stage.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #9 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

No the ceiling height incorporates the HVAC ductwork overhead. We specifically addressed during the design phase.

B2

B2
Living the dream....

post #10 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

if you can get them to pull those wires that would be ideal, but if not your garage is near the media room so not too to bad i had to pull a 6/3 cable from my garage to a distro panel that i located in the basement to be honest cutting the the holes to run the wire sucked but i also did in the middle of the summer which made it 10 times worse

Snickers1,

I will ask about that today. Thanks for the reply.

B2

B2
Living the dream....

post #11 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I would suggest it's probably worth it to just go ahead and run a sub panel to the basement at this stage.

Tlogan,

I will see which way they are more agreeable to at this point. Running the subpanel or simply running the wire.

B2

B2
Living the dream....

post #12 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 09:43 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Make sure the subpanel is not in the theater space but in an adjacent unfinished area. Sub panel installs are around $1000 three runs should be $300. That would be retail by a company, hiring an electrician on the side much less. Since this is new construction you will have an issue dealing with the inspection as I dont think having three rolls of romex running up to the panel will pass. You could have two outlets and the wall switch for lighting installed as part of the construction and modify after you are in.

PROJECTS:

post #13 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Sub panel installs are around $1000

DAMN! I'm in the wrong business.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #14 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
The other thing you might be able to manage if it is a new construction is a PVC Conduit pipe. No electrical running through it while the house is being built. But later you could easily run cables through it to some unfinished area near where your theater is.

Speaking of conduit. I strongly suggest trying to get the builder to run a conduit from your basement to attic (in addition to one from your garage to the basement). It can make future cable runs to the rest of your home much easier. (Say you want to run a CAT5 or coax to an upstairs bedroom) It's a simple thing to put in when there is no drywall up, but a LOT of additional work later.

Also, again completely un-theater related, I've lived in 3 different houses which were new constructions. A growing trend is that they do not put anything like lighting and media cables anywhere they aren't required to. So think long and hard right now and make sure you have ethernet/cable jacks in every place you want them right now. (Even think about the future.. will kids want a TV? Will you want a TV to watch while on a treadmill? Will you have an internet radio base-station in the rec-room, etc) Adding them later will cost you a lot more money. A lot of people think that they will just rely on using wireless, but almost every media device now (TV included) has an ethernet port. It is a lot faster, and more stable, than wireless. If you are even remotely techie, it is worth having in every place that you might have a TV or computer. Wireless will not always do the job, and a lot of things can make the speed drop off significantly and screw up things like media streaming.

Also, usually builders do not put in overhead lighting in a lot of upstairs bedrooms other than the master anymore. At the absolute minimum, make sure they have a ceiling-fan rough-in, (so you can easily add overhead lighting). Recessed lighting is also very nice. Any room you don't have overhead lights in, you will wish you had them later.

post #15 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

The other thing you might be able to manage if it is a new construction is a PVC Conduit pipe. No electrical running through it while the house is being built. But later you could easily run cables through it to some unfinished area near where your theater is.
Speaking of conduit. I strongly suggest trying to get the builder to run a conduit from your basement to attic (in addition to one from your garage to the basement). It can make future cable runs to the rest of your home much easier. (Say you want to run a CAT5 or coax to an upstairs bedroom) It's a simple thing to put in when there is no drywall up, but a LOT of additional work later.
Also, again completely un-theater related, I've lived in 3 different houses which were new constructions. A growing trend is that they do not put anything like lighting and media cables anywhere they aren't required to. So think long and hard right now and make sure you have ethernet/cable jacks in every place you want them right now. (Even think about the future.. will kids want a TV? Will you want a TV to watch while on a treadmill? Will you have an internet radio base-station in the rec-room, etc) Adding them later will cost you a lot more money. A lot of people think that they will just rely on using wireless, but almost every media device now (TV included) has an ethernet port. It is a lot faster, and more stable, than wireless. If you are even remotely techie, it is worth having in every place that you might have a TV or computer. Wireless will not always do the job, and a lot of things can make the speed drop off significantly and screw up things like media streaming.
Also, usually builders do not put in overhead lighting in a lot of upstairs bedrooms other than the master anymore. At the absolute minimum, make sure they have a ceiling-fan rough-in, (so you can easily add overhead lighting). Recessed lighting is also very nice. Any room you don't have overhead lights in, you will wish you had them later.

Damelon,

The conduit is already a part of the build. I was able to get the builder to let me hire an independent source to come in and run all of the Cat 6 wiring throughout the house to the homeroom point in the basement. That is a totally different home automation/home audio project that we wanted to keep separate from the theater. We have spent many hours putting home lighting plan together and we will have conduit connecting the theater to the video distribution source in case we want to leverage that in the future.

But thanks for the heads up...

I am attaching a new layout that should be much better than the original.

B2
Living the dream....

post #16 of 22 Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2round View Post

Damelon,
The conduit is already a part of the build. I was able to get the builder to let me hire an independent source to come in and run all of the Cat 6 wiring throughout the house to the homeroom point in the basement. That is a totally different home automation/home audio project that we wanted to keep separate from the theater. We have spent many hours putting home lighting plan together and we will have conduit connecting the theater to the video distribution source in case we want to leverage that in the future.
But thanks for the heads up...

Yeah I knew most of those things were completely non-HT related. They are just things I try to remind every person I run into who is building a house. smile.gif

post #17 of 22 Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

B2, what is on your wish list for this space? # of seats, format and type of screen if you've thought about that, level of desired soundproofing?

PROJECTS:

post #18 of 22 Old 08-21-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

B2, what is on your wish list for this space? # of seats, format and type of screen if you've thought about that, level of desired soundproofing?

This would be my inspiration...found at http://trendsupdates.com/gold-slapped-home-theater-offers-a-virtual-ride-to-italy/:

A Roman Theme...

Sound proof / room isolation
2 rows of seats

B2
Living the dream....

post #19 of 22 Old 08-21-2012, 07:40 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

ELEGANT! I think a darker carpet would improve the room.

Carved molding like that is available, painting it a good looking gold will take a little experimentation and practice. I know CurtisG (Great falls) had good luck with his gold crown.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/767522/36-month-ht-construction-by-a-first-timer-done/0_40

IMG_3744.jpg

That is a Styrofoam crown painted. I think it is an Orac Decor product from Outwater plastics.

PROJECTS:

post #20 of 22 Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Big agreed a darker carpet would have a dramatic impact on the room. The colors are something will play with but the overall theme is what we are trying to achieve. I like what curtisG was able to accomplish and as I continue to gain more knowledge about what is possible it gets me pretty excited. I just need to get the house completed first!

B2

B2
Living the dream....

post #21 of 22 Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you haven't visited his theater (CurtisG), find him and try to do so. He has the best sounding space that I have ever visited. It is a wonder to behold!

Follow my build here:
post #22 of 22 Old 08-23-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

If you haven't visited his theater (CurtisG), find him and try to do so. He has the best sounding space that I have ever visited. It is a wonder to behold!

Now that sounds like a plan. Hopefully he will be willing to let me behold the wonder.

B2

B2
Living the dream....

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page