Genie Clip + Green Glue or Genie Clip + Supress or (2) 5/8 Supress on each side of steel stud? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am planning to build a band room and getting completely confused with the information from various suppliers. what would be the most cost effective way to achieve noise control? Here are my thoughts and would greatly appreciate your comments:

1) (2) 5/8 suppress on both sides of steel stud with Roxul Safe n Sound for Walls. (2) 5/8 Supress for Ceiling with 3" Roxul on top. Let the walls go higher than celing to ensure better noise control. Meaning, walls are 1' higher than the ceiling.
2) same asseblies as above except (2) Type X Gypsum on both sides of steel studs and celing with green glue layer in it.
3) Same assemblies as above but this time with Genipe Clips and furring channels on one side of the walls and on the ceilings.

I am not able to find any representative STC ratings and would greatly appreciate any thoughts or comments. Essentially, I do not want the band room to bother adjoining room where other instruments are played/taught.

Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-20-2012, 04:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
1. STC is meaningless for your application. STC does not account for frequencies below the 1/3 octave centered at 125Hz. Most high STC products have obtained the high test results by lowering the resonance frequency of their product below the test frequencies ... meaning they have achieved the high STC value by lowering the product's effectiveness at lower frequencies.
2. A single product's STC is relatively misleading ... you cannot layer high STC value products together in an assembly and expect the results to be additive.
3. Roxul is no more effective than standard fiberglass batts in the walls ... pick the least costly product.
4. Two layers of Supress (or 5/8 drywall plus Green Glue) on each side of the wall will add mass and damping but will not provide decoupling ... decoupling is mandatory to increase low frequency transmission loss.

You need to use clips+channel, mass with damping, and fiberglass in the wall cavities (reduces resonance) or a room with in a room method of construction. Now that the walls and ceiling have been addressed, you need to:

1. address the floor
2. address how to eliminate the destruction of your barrier when you poke holes in it for HVAC, electrical, windows, and, of course, the door.
newbiestc likes this.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Yes, you want to decouple the framing from the original, with either (cheaper) clips and channel, or by creating a double stud wall arrangement

Then an application of the cheapest fiberglass you can get. R13 in walls, R19 in ceiling.

Then double 5/8" drywall with an application of damping compound.

After you've built your bunker, you cut a bunch of holes for the door, ventilation and potentially lighting. You'll want to look into treating those as well.
newbiestc likes this.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #4 of 6 Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Dennis and Ted,

Thank you so much! I am leaning toward Clips, (2) 5/8 on each side for mass, green glue or Supress\QuietRock for daming, and bats for walls. IF I have a similar assemly for ceiling (clips, (2) 5/8 with GG, bats), do I need to have a drop ceiling or can we treat the cuts for HVAC and lights (seal) and bypass the drop ceiling?

This is an industrial unit with 22' walls, 8" concrete block between us and neighbours and nothing above or below us. So we are free to do it right from the get-go. Obviously, budgets are tight but do not want to sacrifice quality if it can be achieved in a cost-effective manner.

We actually hired an accoustical consultant. Their report indicates that if we build to their specs, we'll get an STC of 53, which I thought was strange. Hence my research.

Thanks again, do appreciate your comments!
post #5 of 6 Old 08-20-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
My opinion:

Skip the expensive clips you referenced and stick with a simple clip or decouple with double stud framing

Skip the very expensive pre-damped drywall and damp your own starting with standard 5/8" drywall. This will be heavier and much less $$.

You will need a similarly decoupled double drywall ceiling. No dropped ceiling (with tiles).
newbiestc likes this.

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #6 of 6 Old 08-20-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I don't know who you hired; but, fire them. The obviously are clueless about STC values and music playback spaces and what it takes to do what you originally stated you wanted to achieve.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page