Explorer DVR power reset without pulling rack out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For my theater in progress, I'll have a Middle Atlantic pull out rack built into a closet at the rear of the room. The rack will pull out into the room, but it will require moving the rear row of seating (on a riser).

One of the items in the rack will be a Time Warner Explorer HD DVR, which occasionally requires disconnecting from power to reset (as anyone who has one knows I'm sure smile.gif ). Pulling out the rack to do this will not be a good option.

I've seen a couple of methods of handling this scenario without pulling the rack out:

• Power strip or distribution device with switch on front of rack to reset individual outlets.
  • UPS with individual outlet control.

For the first option, I am tight on rack spaces already so I'd like to avoid consuming rack spaces if possible. For the second, I will be using a UPS and plan to connect the TWC DVR to it. But in my search so far the cost difference between a true sine wave UPS (will be used for PJ) without IP based outlet control that will otherwise do the job and one with IP outlet control is $600-$700.

Another possibility I thought of is leaving some slack in the DVR connections (power, etc.) to allow removing the device from the front (will be using the RSH custom shelves/faceplate). But not sure how practical that is.

What approaches are others with pull out racks using to disconnect power to individual devices that need it occasionally (without pulling the rack out)?

Thanks,
DD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-19-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Um, you've already got a built-in rack-level power disconnect...

It's called the "breaker". biggrin.gif

(used that before myself to avoid pulling the rack...)

Ok, if you think you'll have to do this more often, simplest would be an Insteon appliance module and tabletop remote to allow control of the plug. Other alternative in the same price range (<$100) is a Xantech AC1 IR controlled plug.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 08-20-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Um, you've already got a built-in rack-level power disconnect...
It's called the "breaker". biggrin.gif
(used that before myself to avoid pulling the rack...)
Ok, if you think you'll have to do this more often, simplest would be an Insteon appliance module and tabletop remote to allow control of the plug. Other alternative in the same price range (<$100) is a Xantech AC1 IR controlled plug.
Jeff

LOL! I thought of the circuit breaker too. But I'm planning to put the DVR the same circuit as my PJ, in fact on the UPS for backup/AVR to hopefully avoid DVR lockups and/or reboots during brief power outages or glitches.

The Insteon or Xantech devices connected to the UPS look like a good candidate solution, I'm going to look into them more closely. Thanks!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page