Newbie needs advice on whether or not to buy a projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area since I will not be putting together a dedicated home theater, but people in this forum might have some good advice for me.

I have a 60 inch Elite Kuro in my basement now. I sit about 14 feet from the screen, and I am looking into larger screen options. I looked at the 80 inch Sharp LED, but didn't really like the picture too much. I was speaking to a salesman at the store I got my Kuro from and he suggested the JVC DLA-X70 projector as my best option for a very large, high quality picture. I have learned that the key to enjoying a good picture with a projector is to control the light. I was not planning on building a "proper" media room, since that would take up too much of my basement, and my family uses it for various things. The good points about my basement are I only have 2 small windows which I can cover up, and when I shut the lights and close the doors, its pretty dark in my basement.

My concern however is the walls and carpet are beige, and the ceiling is off white. For reasons of both cost and aesthetics, i don't want to put in dark carpet and paint the walls and ceiling dark colours.

The salesman suggests I paint the part of the wall behind the screen black, and leave the rest of the basement alone. He says while naturally its better if the entire room has dark colours, painting the wall behind the screen black should create a more than satisfactory result. So, my questions are:

1. Will I get a decent result if I paint that section of the one wall black, and leave the rest of the basement with beige walls and carpeting?

2. Will I get about the same result even if I don't paint that part of the wall black?

While I love the idea of a 100 inch screen, I don't want to spend all this time and money only to find out I would have been better to just stick with my Kuro if I am not going to go all the way and build a proper media room. Thanks for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

So many questions so little time.
IMHO, the BEST money spent on a Home Theater is money spent for acoustic "shaping" to get the "theater sound". Period.
Bare walls will NOT get you this even if you have the best projector available.
Enjoy the picture, but spend a few dollars to make sure you get a good sound too!
Just my opinion....

post #3 of 3 Old 08-23-2012, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Good advice. I have good sound system now (Totem Acoustic) but as you note, without the proper set up, they aren't being maximized. I am going to look around my basement to see if I might be able to carve out an area large enough for a dedicated media room without taking over too much space that the rest of my family uses. The more I learn and more advice I get, the more money I wind up spending smile.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page