Long time reader now I have to do my own project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a new house being built and one of the main things I want is a man cave, and a dedicated home theater and family room. I would love some input as I am totally new to this. But I am posting my space as I see it for any criticism or advice that can be offered so I can change as it's being built. One wall has a walk out door and two windows. So I placed my theater at the other side of the basement. And there is a metal load bearing post on in the center of the room where the gym wall may be.

Proposed Dedicated home theater with sound isolation would be 13.5 x 23 feet with 2 rows of 3 seats with a riser in the rear. I want to do a lot of decorative trim work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Wow, what a canvas!

First thing you MUST do is at the very least is get this: Pro-Theater-Layout

ERSKINE GROUP will design a room layout based upon measurements and descriptions provided to us. Layouts will be based upon the engineering analysis of the room to meet viewing and listening angles and proper acoustic treatments. We will provide you with one set of the following CAD generated documents:

• Floor plan showing seating layout
• Location and size of projection screen
• Seating platform dimensions
• Speaker placement
• CAD Drawing – Front Elevation View
• CAD Drawing – Rear Elevation View
• CAD Drawing – Side Elevation View (one side only)
• Acoustic Treatment placement

These plans will incorporate speaker, screen, seating and projector locations. Layout will be provided by means of “B” sized PDF files to scale. Please provide a list of the equipment and speakers designated for use in the Home Theater. Please provide accurate and detailed measurements of the proposed theater space prior to commencing work. In addition to measurements, it is strongly recommended you provide photos of the space, if already built, showing the existing walls, ceiling, door and floor areas. If changes are made to the room dimensions after you have approved the layout and elevations, additional revisions will be provided at the hourly rate of $XX.XX (USD).

Or Hire Dennis and get a signature package.

“Signature Edition” Design Package
ERSKINE will design a dedicated Home Theater room for the above referenced Client’s property based upon measurements and
descriptions provided to ERSKINE by the Client. Upon agreement by Client and ERSKINE of the design concept, ERSKINE will
provide Client with two sets of the following CAD generated documents:
• Front, rear, and side elevations showing finish
specifications
• Floor plan showing seating, chair and seating
specifications
• Framing plans
• Top, Side and Front details for screen wall/stage buildout
• Raised platform/seating platform build out.
• Speaker mounting specification and details
• Projector cabinet details
• Low Voltage wiring diagram
• Line Voltage wiring diagram
• Electrical/Lighting Plan
• Wall acoustic treatments/acoustic design & analysis
• Light fixture specifications
• HVAC & Mechanicals
• Reflected Ceiling Plan
These plans will incorporate speaker, screen, projector and component placement. Two sets of “D” size architectural plans will be
provided. The plans will specify moldings and trim elements, include fabric and paint samples which are readily available to
contractors. The Client shall provide ERSKINE with a list of the equipment and speakers designated by Client for use in the Home
Theater. At the Client’s request ERSKINE will provide an equipment specification and equipment bill of materials. Client shall
provide ERSKINE with accurate and detailed measurements of the proposed theater space prior to commencing work. In addition
to measurements, it is strongly recommended ERSKINE be provided a photos of the space showing the existing walls, ceiling, door
and floor areas. Client requested revisions will be provided at the hourly rate of $XX.XX (USD). Ten hours of phone support will be
provided by Dennis Erskine.

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #3 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Also I would reconsider the dimensions and go a bit wider, 23' long is good for 2 rows of reclining seats, but i'd go at least 16' wide. Sure others will chime in.

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #4 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 10:20 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Assuming the screen is on the bottom wall the door is swinging the wrong way. Also the doors to the gym and the door to the theater are too tight to the corner, move them out a bit. I would center the gym doors on that wall.

I also can't wait to see how the plumbers, electricians and HVAC guys screw up that beautiful space and make it unusable.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Alright I left the doors open to the gym and made them extra wide so it doesn't feel cramped. The utility room could only be accessed from the back of the theater room, which will allow me to have my equipment in there as well. I have a door centered in the back of the room. I did make the room 16" as suggested. I have everything framed, and electrical is my next step. I will look into those options for professional design help posted as well.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-10-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

They definitely tried their hardest to screw it up. The main runs are midline, which drops the ceiling down to 8 feet, the rear portion of my room. The space is still pretty clean with minimal loss. I will post pictures of the framing. I need some help planing I electrical rough ins for theater stuff. I'm. It sure what types of receptacle to pre wire and where? I placed a low voltage and 120 volt receptacle n the ceiling before it was dry walled
post #7 of 10 Old 06-10-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 65
At this point, I wouldn't do anything until you have a design in place.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #8 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Yes, Shawn is correct (but he's the professional, so I guess that makes sense). I wouldn't start framing until you have a plan. That's the MAIN thing I would have done differently.

Have you considered "sound proofing" strategeries, yet? (Hey, it's a word, go ask George Bush!) Again, I wouldn't start framing until you have.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #9 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

I designed and framed the entire basement. I'm at the rough in electrical pre drywall stage now
post #10 of 10 Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm doing the green glue double drywall method, and double staggered stud wall to utility room and gym
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page