Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Looking good !

We love pictures !

Thanks! I need to spend some more time taking nicer photos. I have a Nikon D80 but I usually resort to the point and shoot due to the dust. Now that the room is a little cleaner I will be using the D80 more (although I just remembered I have to cut the holes in the riser to receive the buttkickers.. argh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Tim your place is lookin SICK!

Thanks, I am a little more encouraged that there is an end in sight. It's been a long road (and still a ways to go), but I am happy with how everything is turning out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Jeez, even the ladder matches the color scheme, talk about detail oriented! tongue.gif

Nice work!

I can't wait until there is a day I don't need a ladder! I had the ladder out to terminate the component and ethernet cables at the projector location. Just realized I don't have any black cat5e jacks. I've got red, green, white, gray and even orange. But no black. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Great work Tim! Can't wait to see when the carpet goes in!

aaaaagh you're killing me. I'm back to square one with carpeting. I may see if the local carpet guy is open today. I am also considering carpet tiles. The room is so dark I don't think the carpet tiles would really be noticeable. The whole carpet thing really irks me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

So Tim, you are far enough along for me to ask - when is the first movie? smile.gif

I wish that were something I could project (bah-dum-bum) at this point. I'm scouring the 'bay for a decent used projector. Unfortunately I think I am going to need lens shift due to the screen proximity to the ceiling. Well, I had always planned on a nice projector with lens shift.. But now I just want something cheap to get it up and running. The PJs without lens shift need about 2' between lens and top of screen. I have about 8". I'm hardcore, but I don't think any amount of keystone correction will fix that.

I also have to build all of my speakers.

And carpet. That damn carpet

Tim

ICC Certified.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
||

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 597 Old 05-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wow! You have really made some progress. I should check it more often. The room is looking really good.

(Currently on Pause)
post #363 of 597 Old 05-27-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Construction:
5/8"+1/2" GWB with Green Glue
RSIC-1 and channel (both sides) between theater and adjacent mechanical room,

Sorry to ask a noob question but what is GWB ? What is RSIC?

I understand that 5/8" and 1/2" is two different sized layers of Sheetrock with GG but I am unsure of the others ....

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #364 of 597 Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 97
GWB=Gypsum Wall Board, aka drywall or sheetrock

RSIC=Resilient Sound Isolation Clip

Spaceman Theater Build

post #365 of 597 Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Sorry to ask a noob question but what is GWB ? What is RSIC?

I understand that 5/8" and 1/2" is two different sized layers of Sheetrock with GG but I am unsure of the others ....

I Think GYP stands for "Gypsum Board". RSIC are decoupling clips that are used on studs to decouple a wall
post #366 of 597 Old 05-27-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Is Gypsum wall board different or better than Sheetrock ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #367 of 597 Old 05-27-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

"Sheetrock" is actually a company that makes gypsum wallboard but the name is commonly used for the product itself.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #368 of 597 Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Got it! Thanks.

-

post #369 of 597 Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SO... carpet ordered. AFter the Lowes fiasco, I tried some local guys. One place was $100 cheaper than Lowes for a nicer carpet. Went to a second local place and signed up to have the room done fore $550 less than Lowes. I will say this carpet is not as nice as Lowes, but the coloring is awesome (brown and black). The fact that I'm saving 30% more than makes up for the lesser quality carpet. In the end you will never be looking at it anyway.

Add to the fact the guy remembered me from when I did business with him about 20 years ago! He drew up the theater on graph paper and we vetted different ways to lay the carpet so the seams would be the least obvious. It was a real pleasure to deal with a local guy who took the time to talk to me and was open to suggestions. A stark contract to the guy from Lowes who was in, out and tried to bilk me.

In other news, I've been building speakers. Ran out of plywood. Went to HD to get some more. Out of stock.... F#&@*#@! Looks like I'm off the the lumber yard for a $50 sheet of birch ply.. that $32 cabinet grade ply from HD is just as good.. except it's pine instead of birch. Oh well..

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #370 of 597 Old 06-04-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Tim, how are you going to do this to us?

post #371 of 597 Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Err.. you want pics of my carpet invoice? Or my speakers? smile.gif The speakers are just pieces at the moment.. I have all the sides for the 3 stens.. but only top and bottom for 2.. my sten II's I have all the top and bottom.. but only sides for two. My F20 is missing one piece for the baffle. I am really screwed now that HD is out of plywood.. I mean not really, I'll get birch.. but damn they had a whole pallet of the stuff on Sunday!

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #372 of 597 Old 06-04-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I was actually hoping you could provide a manufacturer's image of the carpet you chose. But I'll take whatever you got. wink.gif

post #373 of 597 Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, here's something by special request:

speakers.png

Can't find an image of the carpet, it's "Face Off" "Brown bay". It looks kind of like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiOzxEtpOPyLVR4v-u3eycbm0qwi2nHKEzWJ5JkfiyNBpgIzSe

Except the brown is darker.. but you get the idea.. It's brown with black specks. Like I said, not as nice as the Lowes carpet I was looking at (which incidentally is Mohawk "Get Real II"). BUt with the money I saved I can buy a better projector.. or powered seats.. or just pocket $500.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #374 of 597 Old 06-04-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I feel better.

post #375 of 597 Old 06-04-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

I feel better.

Probably due to the subliminal messaging.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #376 of 597 Old 06-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
That is looking really good Tim. Thumbs up

(Currently on Pause)
post #377 of 597 Old 06-09-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post

That is looking really good Tim. Thumbs up

Thanks, Jon!

Made some much needed progress:

DSC_0033.JPG

Okay, so no progress in the theater, but progress on the theater nonetheless! You can check out my speaker build thread here.

Building F-20 #2, 3x Stentorians, 4x Sten II and Another subwoofer project which shall remain just between us smile.gif

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #378 of 597 Old 06-10-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow! I'm jealous for sure!

-

post #379 of 597 Old 06-17-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reached another milestone today with the carpet installation:

carpet.jpg

I have to admit that when I saw the carpet in the sunlight I began to wonder if I made a mistake. Once it was installed it looked much better. The brown matches the wall perfectly, and the black specks darken it up a bit. Walked around in bare feet for a bit, feels good under foot. Very satisfied with the choice. In a perfect world I would have loved a higher-end carpet, but for the money this carpet is excellent.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #380 of 597 Old 06-17-2013, 05:12 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Looks really great Mr. Tim. You have to be really proud with how things are turning out.

post #381 of 597 Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Looks awesome! I bet that feels like a huge milestone!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #382 of 597 Old 06-17-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Looks fantastic!! Nice choice.

post #383 of 597 Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks great, Tim!

Spaceman Theater Build

post #384 of 597 Old 06-17-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35

Looks great!  I am jealous.  What's left on the list?

post #385 of 597 Old 06-18-2013, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Looks really great Mr. Tim. You have to be really proud with how things are turning out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Looks awesome! I bet that feels like a huge milestone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Looks fantastic!! Nice choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

That looks great, Tim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Looks great!  I am jealous.  What's left on the list?

Thanks, everybody! Every choice in the theater, as I'm sure you are all aware, is a struggle. I'm very happy with the balance between budget and quality. I have to work on getting some better pictures; I'm not sure why the colors are washing out. I think it has something to do with the matrix metering in my D80. I'll have to read up on that.

What's left on the list.. The mount for the projector is on it's way. I may fall for the old "I'm just gonna hang the projector to calibrate it" pitfall.

Speakers.. see my LCR build thread. I have to lacquer the surrounds. Still have to finish building the LCRs.

Screen wall.. have to finish up various odds-and-ends, including building the screen.

It also looks like I have to trim the doors again. I put 3/8" plywood under the Zero thresholds and trimmed the bototm of the doors to fit nicely with the threshold. It's not enough. The doors are operable, but rub on the carpet. I think another 1/8-1/4" needs to come off.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #386 of 597 Old 06-18-2013, 04:48 AM

Liked: 10
Looks great Tim.... Congratulations
post #387 of 597 Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Really getting close now, and looking great - woodworking looks really good

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #388 of 597 Old 06-19-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What is next on your project's TO-DO list ?

-

post #389 of 597 Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is next on your project's TO-DO list ?

After I finish the theater and the speakers currently in production I think I am done with projects for a while. I just undertook a pretty large side job, so I really have to finish this quick.

I've been taking stock of all the little things that need to get done:

-Install thermostat
-Tie smoke alarm into FACP
-Wire last step light to GE
-Trim the doors.. again
-Finish the sound gaskets at the closet doors
-Mount the projector
-Stuff the rear columns/bass traps with fluffy fiberglass
-Re-install the rear fabric panels with velcro
-Finish the roller catches to hold all of the removable column pieces
-Touch up the nosings where scratched/chipped
-Install fabric on the screen wall fabric panels
-Build the screen frame and install spandex
-Terminate all the network and coax at the rack
-Bolt the stadium seating to the floor
-Install the buttkickers in the riser
-Install the speakers
-Install the equipment into the rack
-Party

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #390 of 597 Old 06-28-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I could help you with the last item on your list if you needed it. ^ I'm really good at it. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Reached another milestone today with the carpet installation:

carpet.jpg

I have to admit that when I saw the carpet in the sunlight I began to wonder if I made a mistake. Once it was installed it looked much better. The brown matches the wall perfectly, and the black specks darken it up a bit. Walked around in bare feet for a bit, feels good under foot. Very satisfied with the choice. In a perfect world I would have loved a higher-end carpet, but for the money this carpet is excellent.

Tim

I see the folding theater seats in the back row- and the plan is to have nicer furniture seats in the first row ? Have you picked them out yet ?

It's been over a week BTW... Where is our update ?

-

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page