Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Say hello to my leetle friends:

IMG_1788.JPG

Can't wait to try this out. Two BK's at 950w each. The platform was built on vibration isolators so hopefully the riser will rockin and rollin.

Tim

NICE!!!!  Can't wait to hear a review of these.

By the way - which model are they?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 597 Old 08-05-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I bet those will be fun!

Are you ready to set a date for an opening night yet? Looks like you're getting down to details.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #453 of 597 Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

NICE!!!!  Can't wait to hear a review of these.

By the way - which model are they?

Those are the LFE model. I can't wait to fire them up. It would be trivial at this point to hook them up to a laptop and get a first impression, but I'm trying to hold off.. More motivation to get everything else done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I bet those will be fun!

Are you ready to set a date for an opening night yet? Looks like you're getting down to details.

Well, everything has to be done by Sept 4 for a get together I have scheduled. I am pushing to get done sooner.

I took yesterday off to accept deliver of my seats. Surprise, surprise, the freight company called and said "we just got your seats this morning, can we deliver them tomorrow?" No, you can't deliver them tomorrow.. I rescheduled all of my Monday appointments for Tuesday (today should be a real fun day at work). Why would you schedule a delivery when you don't even have the seats!?! I ended up going to work a little late, so no progress to speak of.

Seats are re-scheduled for Thursday. I hope to get a lot more banged out in the theater while waiting for the delivery, including the screen.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #454 of 597 Old 08-06-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why would you schedule a delivery when you don't even have the seats!?! 

Seats are re-scheduled for Thursday. 

Tim

Looks like that case of beer I sent the freight company to delay your delivery may have just bought me a couple of days to catch up wink.gif.

post #455 of 597 Old 08-06-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Looks like that case of beer I sent the freight company to delay your delivery may have just bought me a couple of days to catch up wink.gif

Sorry for the delayed response.. I was loading up the car for my trip to the Emtek factory:

boozereartrunkhy4.jpg

smile.gif
HopefulFred and cw5billwade like this.

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #456 of 597 Old 08-06-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Why do I get the feeling that my completion date has been moved to September 5th - regardless of how hard I try?

post #457 of 597 Old 08-09-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quick update. I accepted delivery of the seats yesterday. I got Seatcraft Eros. |o|o|o| up front and |o|oo|o| for the middle. Nothing fancy, no power recline, no leather. I sat in them briefly and the are comfortable. I would never sit in the fully reclined position.. the full upright is actually what felt the best at first try. For under $2k I have no complaints.

I cut the pieces for the screen. Hope to assemble tonight.

Rewired my Stentorians in which I had wired the Aura drivers in parallel rather than series. They sound much better!

Put up the cleats I need for the roller catches.

I was outside until 8pm cutting the pieces I needed for the LCR speaker stands. Discovered, quite by accident, that the distance between the top/bottom rails of the screen is exactly the same as the height of the Stentorians. Got lucky, never even thought about it!

Took a bag of s--t from my in-laws because when they called me in the afternoon I couldn't help them right away (offered to help today).. :sigh:

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #458 of 597 Old 08-09-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 211
That is what we went with too. Two rows of Eros in this format : |o|oo|o|

For the price, they are pretty darn good. I just wish that the headrest was an inch or two taller, and the same with the leg rest, but nobody else seems to complain.

Here are mine after unboxing in the garage/driveway with black plastic cupholders.

And then in the theater early on (I need to get new pictures of the room, so ignore the boring photo and the slightly "off" colors) with the stainless cupholders.

I had a few quality control issues with my seats. Enough that I basically pieced together enough flaws to justify them sending me a whole new seat to get a replacement back, a replacement bottom (which fixed a tear and a broken foot), two cupholders were damaged. Anyway, they were great to work with, and I got free stainless cupholders for the hassle too.

- Nick Buol

post #459 of 597 Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

That is what we went with too. Two rows of Eros in this format : |o|oo|o|

For the price, they are pretty darn good. I just wish that the headrest was an inch or two taller, and the same with the leg rest, but nobody else seems to complain.

I took a chance on them, but I don't plan on having them forever. They work. They're comfortable. They're not power, which is a nice option, but in the few minutes I sat in them the upright position was pretty much where I wanted to be.. They're not leather, but my house isn't exactly furnished by Ethan Allen. The response is "wow, that's awesome, you have recliners!" Not, "Is that leather?" Bottom line (thus far) nobody cares. Maybe after sitting in them for a few hours I will have a different opinion.
Quote:
I had a few quality control issues with my seats. Enough that I basically pieced together enough flaws to justify them sending me a whole new seat to get a replacement back, a replacement bottom (which fixed a tear and a broken foot), two cupholders were damaged. Anyway, they were great to work with, and I got free stainless cupholders for the hassle too.

Fortunately I have no issues. Everything arrived in good condition. I was impressed how they were meticulously wrapped.

I'll wait until I watch a few movies to make a definitive decision, but so far, so good.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #460 of 597 Old 08-09-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'm not a fan of leather so it's nice to see an option out there that isn't special order (at least I don't think it was was it??). Looking forward to seeing the installed pics.

post #461 of 597 Old 08-09-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

I'm not a fan of leather so it's nice to see an option out there that isn't special order (at least I don't think it was was it??). Looking forward to seeing the installed pics.

Nope, these seats are in stock. Ordered 7/17, shipped on the 25th. There was some delay (which they let me know ahead of time) to convert the one row to a loveseat configuration.

Beyond that, the freight company took a while to get across the continent.

T-eat-rSe-t.com. Dealt with them via phone. Very nice.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #462 of 597 Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Yeah, anyone selling the Eros seats are the same company. They have a couple of different web sites and even eBay names. I found the best deal with one of their eBay listings, but I called them up, added the loveseat option, and got them cheaper with a modified eBay "price match" than anything on their regular site(s) with their ongoing coupon codes that they always have.

Overall, I do really like mine. I am just too tall for most seats, so the problems I mentioned I would have with probably 99% of all seats anyway.

- Nick Buol

post #463 of 597 Old 08-11-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Things are moving along now. Funny how you trudge along for years, then all of a sudden everything starts coming together. Progress in leaps and bounds.

I've got the screen assembled:

IMG_1798.JPG

I'm using spandex mounted on a finger-joint pine (finger-joint is typically less susceptible to warping) using Screen Tight channel I picked up at Lowes. I'm using white over gray.

I must admit I did try it out with just gray and it looked pretty darn good to me. Expecting the white to really make the image dazzle.

And an overall shot just for the heck of it:

IMG_1799.JPG

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #464 of 597 Old 08-11-2013, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Its amazing how much football season can motivate everyone. Theres a couple of us that have all made a ton of progress recently and have made comments about it being ready for football season.

8 chairs for 2k dollars is crazy cheap, thats awesome!

And to echo your sentiments, no ones going to care or notice. I have two groups of people that are going to come to the theater. My close nerdy friends that want to hear about all the details and the acoustics and everything, and then the other 99% that just goes ohhhh the lights are pretty and theres chairs! I figure if youre happy then who cares because thats whos in it most of the time.

post #465 of 597 Old 08-11-2013, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

Its amazing how much football season can motivate everyone. Theres a couple of us that have all made a ton of progress recently and have made comments about it being ready for football season.

8 chairs for 2k dollars is crazy cheap, thats awesome!

And to echo your sentiments, no ones going to care or notice. I have two groups of people that are going to come to the theater. My close nerdy friends that want to hear about all the details and the acoustics and everything, and then the other 99% that just goes ohhhh the lights are pretty and theres chairs! I figure if youre happy then who cares because thats whos in it most of the time.

7 chairs, but who's counting biggrin.gif

Making decisions was a little easier for me since my house is on the market. But I'd like to think I did nothing different then if I intended to have it for the next 30 years.

I will give an honest opinion of the seats after I've used them a few times. Given my situation I have no problem saying they're great or they're horrible. I won't be stuck with them.

Same with the screen. I liked the gray spandex. I don't think anybody would even care. I hope I like the white even more. 120" wide screen for <$100? Yes please. biggrin.gif

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #466 of 597 Old 08-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

7 chairs, but who's counting biggrin.gif

Making decisions was a little easier for me since my house is on the market. But I'd like to think I did nothing different then if I intended to have it for the next 30 years.

I will give an honest opinion of the seats after I've used them a few times. Given my situation I have no problem saying they're great or they're horrible. I won't be stuck with them.

Same with the screen. I liked the gray spandex. I don't think anybody would even care. I hope I like the white even more. 120" wide screen for <$100? Yes please. biggrin.gif

Tim

Man...youre selling it right now. My girl asks me if I got a new job or won the lotto or something if I would move and I say no solely because of the theater. I cant imagine doing all this work just to let someone else enjoy. Its going to be years of using the theater before I get to that break even point of hours worked vs hours enjoyed!

post #467 of 597 Old 08-11-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After trying to wire the one F20 I had originally flipped around I quickly found it wasn't going to happen. Removed the 2nd F20 from the screen wall, then the one in question. Installed a second speakon connector on the opposite side. Problem solved. Just took a little time and a lot of muscle.

Got the screen up. The white spandex is fantastic. Image is (to my untrained eye) brilliant. Absolutely no complaints, but also nothing to compare to. Ignorance is bliss.

Racked up the equipment and ran through some Transformers 3. I only have the LCR, 2xF20 and buttkickers wired at the moment. I had to turn the gain on the buttkickers all the way down. It was intense. They were firing so hard it was distracting.

As expected, the F20s freakin rock the theater. Insane.

Had to order some more cables from monoprice so I can hook up the remaining 2 subs.

Played around with the DCX2496. It's pretty easy once you figure out the menus. I bought a USB->serial adapter so hopefully REW can connect directly to the DCX and make the appropriate adjustments. I think I have to do some sort of "level matching" or some such.. the level meter is barely showing anything and the house is shaking. I'm a total noob at this whole line level thing, so I have a bit of reading to do.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #468 of 597 Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Had to order some more cables from monoprice so I can hook up the remaining 2 subs.

This is a problem I hope to have one day smile.gif

post #469 of 597 Old 08-12-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

This is a problem I hope to have one day smile.gif

It's easy to get carried away.. THrow in some plywood "you have laying around" with some MFW-15s from an AVS member "that he doesn't need".. and all of a sudden you have a lot of subs smile.gif

Speaking of which, I must have enjoyed the theater a little too much last night, because I blew the fuse in my NU1000 :/ Replacements on the way.

My wife was on the second floor. When I got up there she said "the whole house was moving"

biggrin.gif

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #470 of 597 Old 08-12-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:

When I got up there she said "the whole house was moving"
So maybe this is not the point at which you suggest that since the NU1000 is only partially up to the task, so you should replace it with an NU3000.

post #471 of 597 Old 08-15-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hooked up the mic and played around a little with the DCX2496. Just messing around, so pay no attention to the levels:

all%2520%252B%2520sealed%2520subs%2520no%2520f20.png

No gating and I don't have my panels up at the first reflections yet... this is the money seat.

So how or another methinks there is a 20Hz HP filter..... somewhere. I don't think the subs should roll off that quickly.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #472 of 597 Old 08-15-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure, Tim. I think you may be getting what you should - but I'm no expert. From lilmike's first post, his graph (ground plane, outdoors) shows really sharp roll off - something like -24dB in the half octave below 20Hz. The graphs are on different scales so you have to read carefully and not judge by the look of the slope, but I think yours in room is rolling off at half that rate.

Then there are comments like this from beastaudio, who I think knows what he's talking about (certainly better than I do!), saying that the natural roll off is an important part of the design - trading efficiency and low distortion for extension, if I'm reading correctly.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1329971/lilmikes-cinema-f-20/1320#post_22419569

post #473 of 597 Old 08-16-2013, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for chiming in, Fred.

edit: when I measured the MFWs outside it looks like this:

mfw-15.png

edit edit: Actually, I guess they're pretty close. The different y-axis makes it look steeper

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #474 of 597 Old 08-16-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

Thanks for chiming in, Fred. I forgot to caption the screencap. That is actually just the sealed subs, no F20s (hopefully the fuse will be here for my Nu1000 today). That's why I'm not really concerned about the dip/peak at the moment.

The model for the sealed MFWs doesn't roll off so sharply, thus my suspicion that I have an unwanted filter. I wonder if the AVR has a HPF activated. Just getting used to playing around with the AVR and DCX2496.

Tim

edit: when I measured the MFWs outside it looks like this:

mfw-15.png

edit edit: Actually, I guess they're pretty close. The different y-axis makes it look steeper

Hi Tim,

Try setting your window limits to encompass 60db on the Y axis. This sets the graph to a common setting so folks have a frame of reference to interpret your graphs.

Also when measuring sub response use no smoothing. For full range measurements 1/3 or 1/6 octave smoothing is beneficial. Still good idea to keep the Y axis to a 60db span.

FWIW the above roll off for sealed MFWs measured outside looks right to me.

If you re-scale the graphs and remove the smoothing from the sub response it might be easier to help further. The sealed should not have a roll off so to speak other than the acoustic knee which occurs much higher than 20Hz. If it does then its most likely in the signal chain somewhere. Its really hard to see on that graph due to the axis spread but it looks like a consistent roll off. If you see a sharp inflection and roll off below like 40-50Hz something is wrong. It should roll off smoothly and consistently below that midbass region.
post #475 of 597 Old 08-16-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is actually just the sealed subs
Doh!

post #476 of 597 Old 08-16-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Doh!

Don't feel bad, Fred. I looked at the graph and immediately thought F20 as well.

post #477 of 597 Old 08-16-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Yeah it was easier to go with one than 5 of the small ones. Total wattage per the manu specs for the 5 reels of LEDs is 121W, but when you figure for voltage drop it's a bit higher. Add in the safety factor and I'm at 180 watts or so.

The LED power supply is dimmable via a 0-10vdc control current. I am controlling that with this:

A Lutron GRX-TVI that is wired to my Grafik Eyes.

Tim

An under-cabinet LED manufacturer rec'd the Lutron GRX-TVI, for dimming with Lutron RA2, but said she'd heard that a clicking noise from the GRX-TVI may be bothersome. Can you provide any insight? Have you heard any clicking?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #478 of 597 Old 08-16-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

An under-cabinet LED manufacturer rec'd the Lutron GRX-TVI, for dimming with Lutron RA2, but said she'd heard that a clicking noise from the GRX-TVI may be bothersome. Can you provide any insight? Have you heard any clicking?

There is definitely a click.. it's more like a ker-klunk. I think it is the relay in the unit that turns the 120v on and off. You are going to want the unit in a closet or basement where the noise is not an issue.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #479 of 597 Old 08-16-2013, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Speaking of which, I must have enjoyed the theater a little too much last night, because I blew the fuse in my NU1000 :/ Replacements on the way.

Amp is dead. Just blows fuses with nothing connected. ebay special so probably a doorstop at this point. I'll just order another and put this one on the bench for eventual repair or target practice.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

post #480 of 597 Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Took some measurements just to see where I was at. Still have some room treatments to implement, and I need to get a new amp to power the F20s. I think I did this right:

money%2520seat%2520eq%2520vs%2520no%2520eq.png

I just realized if you don't include the legend it abbreviates the Y-axis. All the graphs were 40-100 but I see they got truncated in the capture if I didn't include the legend.

Tim

ICC Certified.

||
||
||

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page