post #541 of 597 Old 09-07-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Glad to hear it went well.  It's always fun to see peoples reactions when they first see the theater. Even more fun to see the their reaction when you actually start the movie.

Where did you get the theater shorts from?  Did you just get them from Youtube? And is the Cinema Experience just an XMBC thing?

PS...

You are invited to our local theater meet in a couple of months.  Make sure you plan to stop in smile.gif .

If I were within an hour or two, I most certainly would!

Cinema Experience is an XBMC thing. The shorts are sourced from various places (there is also a CE "mega pack" which has a ton of shorts included). archive.org is a good place to find some old stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Great news on the premiere! Also, a topic that I'm particularly sensitive to, great to hear the AC worked well. That issue keeps me awake at night.

You may have convinced me to give HTPCs another try. I had one several years ago, but I got tired of having to test every movie to make sure it would work, and there seemed to be endless tweaks required to keep it working well. The features you're describing are ones I've been wanting, but didn't see a clear way to get to.

A/C worked well but the theater was not full. I'm not sure how it would work with the full compliment of 12 people. Temperature would rise for sure... Question is how fast. If it was 70 when we started.. 73 at the end wouldn't be bad. I have the mini-split roughed to take care of the issue.. and I knew it would be an issue.. but I don't know if I want to spend the money for the very few times I'd have more than a few people over.

I also wanted to add that people remarked how "clear" and "bright" the picture was. Optoma HD20 with a spandex screen smile.gif I definitely would like lens memory... but otherwise no regrets on this setup.. I mean for <$550 NIB 1 hour on lamp from authorized seller projector and $84 in spandex.. you can't have everything!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 597 Old 09-07-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
A very big congratulations on the premier! It has to be incredibly satisfying. I keep wondering if I might literally cry at mine (wish I was kidding).

The XBMC with Cinema Experience thing is just too cool. I did not even know about it. I think I have to have it now but I really did not want to fuss with an HTPC because when I have seen them used at friends houses there is almost ALWAYS some kind of glitch. I was discouraged to find out that they discontinued support for the Xbox platforms. I plan to get the Xbox One and it would have been just perfect but oh well. I am also trying to do some kind of NAS type of media storage streaming solution for family pics and movies and music so maybe I can roll all this into one somehow.

At any rate thanks for opening my eyes to this and I simply loved the old drive in movie theater ads. My favorite was the Toddy Chocolate Drink. Good stuff.

So when the trailers are streamed from iTunes are they randomly selected and different every time? Is there any way to hand pick them? And do they seem to follow the genre of the movie you are about to play? I can imagine that a Prometheus trailer before watching Bambi would be awkward!
post #543 of 597 Old 09-07-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

A very big congratulations on the premier! It has to be incredibly satisfying. I keep wondering if I might literally cry at mine (wish I was kidding).

The XBMC with Cinema Experience thing is just too cool. I did not even know about it. I think I have to have it now but I really did not want to fuss with an HTPC because when I have seen them used at friends houses there is almost ALWAYS some kind of glitch. I was discouraged to find out that they discontinued support for the Xbox platforms. I plan to get the Xbox One and it would have been just perfect but oh well. I am also trying to do some kind of NAS type of media storage streaming solution for family pics and movies and music so maybe I can roll all this into one somehow.

At any rate thanks for opening my eyes to this and I simply loved the old drive in movie theater ads. My favorite was the Toddy Chocolate Drink. Good stuff.

So when the trailers are streamed from iTunes are they randomly selected and different every time? Is there any way to hand pick them? And do they seem to follow the genre of the movie you are about to play? I can imagine that a Prometheus trailer before watching Bambi would be awkward!

Thank you! It was a lot of fun. The ladies did a lot of laughing every time the LFE got intense... We really had such a great time.

XBMC is pretty easy to get up and running. You can even run it on a Raspberry Pi.. the Pi is $35. You need a micro-usb power supply (you probably have an old one laying around.. they are also used to charge cel phones), a SDHC card and a case (optional).

I'm running it on a Zotac mini-pc (forget which one, I got it about 3 years ago) which are currently under $200.

You copy the xbmcbuntu install to an SD card. Boot the pc from the SD card. Install. Add Cinema Experience from the XBMC setup menu. I did have to manually tweak one folder.. but as long as you know that in the beginning, setup is a breeze.

I still run 2 old XBox (the black ones) with XBMC. I get 720p with component cables and it looks fine on the 32" LCD tv's.

There are settings to modify the trailer behavior. I have it set so that the rating of the trailer matches the rating of the movie you will be watching. When the kids watched "Rise of the Guardians" the trailers were "Up 2" and "How to Train Your Dragon 2". When we watched "Olympus has Fallen" one of the trailers was "Riddick".. I forget what the other was. There are other options for the trailer type, but I don't recall what they were.

Tim
post #544 of 597 Old 09-14-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did some more measuring after I got some of the treatments up. I definitely have some reflections off the ceiling and the F-20's, but it does look like the treatments handled the reflections off the wall.

left%2520speaker%2520etc.png

center%2520speaker%2520etc.png

right%2520speaker%2520etc.png

Tim
post #545 of 597 Old 09-14-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Are these ETCs?

BTW, Would you room to put "visors" on your LCR to absorb the sound going towards the ceiling rather ban treating the ceiling itself?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #546 of 597 Old 09-14-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are these ETCs?

BTW, Would you room to put "visors" on your LCR to absorb the sound going towards the ceiling rather ban treating the ceiling itself?

Yes, those are ETC graphs. The problem I have is the speakers are as tall as my screen. I never thought about it _at all_ when I was building everything. I literally had a "oh s-it" moment as I carried the LCRs into the room and realized the space constraints.

If the screen was 1/2" shorter they literally would not fit.

I thought about cutting holes through the bottom of the soffit in front of the screen.. and covering with fabric. Honestly, I am tired of working on the theater! I think I will just live with it.

Had the guys over for another screening of OHF. Many crude remarks about buttocks and bass. We had a blast. I'm still cleaning up beer bottles.

Tim
post #547 of 597 Old 09-14-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One more thing to note... HVAC. Temperature will rise quickly with 17 60w halogens at 100%. About 2 degrees an hour with the HVAC running.

With 6 adults and the lights off/dim we went up 2 degrees in about 3 hours.

I figured the theater to maintain temps with 3 adults with the whole house AC; looks like I was right on target.

Equipment is not in the room, except the projector.

My hvac consists of:

1- 6" flex supply to a 2-slot x24" diffuser
1- 7" flex return to an 8x8 return box with filter grill

System is dead silent.. you cannot hear a thing. I have to hold my hand by the diffuser to see if it is running.

edit: I measured the air flow with an anemometer. The average across 8 points was 322 fpm. Ak is .049/ft. So it's pushing 31.5 cfm. 3 people need about 30 cfm. 1.5cfm left for the projector.. er about enough to cool 13w smile.gif

Empirical evidence says otherwise.. I think those numbers a little low (maybe I have the wrong Ak). I wish I took a reading before I installed the diffuser.. to see what the flex was pushing.

Tim
post #548 of 597 Old 09-14-2013, 05:49 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Equipment is not in the room, except the projector.

My hvac consists of:

1- 6" flex supply to a 2-slot x24" diffuser
1- 7" flex return to an 8x8 return box with filter grill

System is dead silent.. you cannot hear a thing. I have to hold my hand by the diffuser to see if it is running.

Tim

That's really good to know. I went with two 6" flex lines to what will be two 24" bar diffusers and a single 10" flex to a 14"x14" return box with 1" filter grill. Hopefully that's good enough to maintain temperature in my 16x22 room when all is up and running with 8 people.
post #549 of 597 Old 09-14-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info on the AC. It's good to have some well documented scenarios to compare to. Although; I'm not sure what an Ak is, at least in this context.

I know what you mean about being tired of working on the theater. I've told my wife several times I just wish I could pay someone to do it for me. I enjoy DIY projects a LOT, but this is one that I'm really looking forward to the destination much more than the journey.

post #550 of 597 Old 09-14-2013, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Question, and maybe I missed this somewhere, but how do you plan to cool the room in winter when your HVAC is running heat? If no cool air is coming in (because you have the "vents closed" since the heat is running, then you are going to experience a warm room after a little while if you have a couple of people in the room. Since you can't run A/C in the winter, at least in the northern half of the US or in Canada, plus you wouldn't want to because the rest of your house would be ice cold, this is a problem that I am sure you smart people have figured out.

I am dealing with a warm theater after a little bit with just my family watching a movie. I have some potential things that should help, but they aren't "solutions" per se. Any insight would be appreciated.
post #551 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Question, and maybe I missed this somewhere, but how do you plan to cool the room in winter when your HVAC is running heat? If no cool air is coming in (because you have the "vents closed" since the heat is running, then you are going to experience a warm room after a little while if you have a couple of people in the room. Since you can't run A/C in the winter, at least in the northern half of the US or in Canada, plus you wouldn't want to because the rest of your house would be ice cold, this is a problem that I am sure you smart people have figured out.

I am dealing with a warm theater after a little bit with just my family watching a movie. I have some potential things that should help, but they aren't "solutions" per se. Any insight would be appreciated.

My home has radiant heat, so the ductwork will only supply cooling. That being said, once the temperature drops outside the condenser will no longer be able to function.

At that point I am relying on the cold outdoor temps to keep the room kind of cold. I can also utilize the Fan function to draw the 68 degree air from the rest of the home and circulate it into the theater.

Tim
post #552 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

That's really good to know. I went with two 6" flex lines to what will be two 24" bar diffusers and a single 10" flex to a 14"x14" return box with 1" filter grill. Hopefully that's good enough to maintain temperature in my 16x22 room when all is up and running with 8 people.

It's dependent on a few things.. Static pressure in the ducts (most ducts are so oversized this is not a problem), and the size of your blower vs the number of diffusers you have.

If you have 50 6x10 diffusers in the next room you probably aren't going to push much out of the linear. But assuming everything is sized appropriately I think you will be fine, provided you are using LED lighting or have incandescent lights off/very dim.

Tim
post #553 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info on the AC. It's good to have some well documented scenarios to compare to. Although; I'm not sure what an Ak is, at least in this context.

I know what you mean about being tired of working on the theater. I've told my wife several times I just wish I could pay someone to do it for me. I enjoy DIY projects a LOT, but this is one that I'm really looking forward to the destination much more than the journey.

It's A-sub-k, but I can't do subscript in this forum. It's the free area of the grill. So if you have a 24" 2-slot diffuser, the opening into which the diffuser fits is probably about 4"x24", or 96 sq.in. However, that's not the free area, which is the area of the openings in the diffuser (in this case, the area of the slots, minus obstruction of those slots by the blades).

I saw another method of calculation that says there is a 1.33 adjustment factor. This would bring me up to 40 cfm, which would correlate much closer to the real-world experience.

Tim
post #554 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm a little surprised that the 6" flex is only supplying 30 cfm. I don't suppose I should be. I've only ever seen "design" data, and this may well be the first time I've seen an actual measurement.

post #555 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:

It's dependent on a few things.. Static pressure in the ducts (most ducts are so oversized this is not a problem), and the size of your blower vs the number of diffusers you have.

If you have 50 6x10 diffusers in the next room you probably aren't going to push much out of the linear. But assuming everything is sized appropriately I think you will be fine, provided you are using LED lighting or have incandescent lights off/very dim.

Tim

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot to mention I will have 12 halogen lights with 50 watt GU10 bulbs. The rest will be RGB LED. The projector will be in a hush box with intake and exhaust coming from the adjacent room, so the heat from the projector won't be a consideration.

I paid a HVAC company to design the layout based on my projected heat load calculations, the blower and capacity sizes of my system, and the insulation levels found in the theater and the rest of the basement (2 lb. closed-cell spray foam) so I have 3 supplies coming off the 14" section of the supply trunk line, then it reduces to 12" and has 3 more supply offtakes, then reduces to 10" and has the last supply for a total of 7 supplies. For the return, I have a 12" rigid leading to a 16"x25" filter box for the main part of the basement and a dedicated 10" flex going to the theater into a 14"x14" filter box. Both take-offs come directly off the main unit.

The nice thing is that since the HVAC company also handled installing the new line set and installing the new gas line, they are tied to my permit. Once I am ready to close up the walls in the basement, they plan to come out to inspect my part of the work. I'm sure my work will be fine, but the point is that they will have their measurement equipment with them and can give me real CFM readings from every duct and optimize via the baffles.

Like JPA said, it's good to have some feedback from a competent AVS Forum member on their real-life experience with engineering supply / return from an existing HVAC system.
post #556 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm a little surprised that the 6" flex is only supplying 30 cfm. I don't suppose I should be. I've only ever seen "design" data, and this may well be the first time I've seen an actual measurement.

The 6" flex to the theater is just part of the overall system. When you take into account all of the other diffusers in this same zone, there is only so much left.

For instance, if you have a 16x20 supply plenum coming off of the air handler, and after 3 feet you drop a six 14" takeoffs to supply the home.. then you run that trunk 50 feet to the other side of the house and pop a 6" takeoff for the theater... there is not going to be much left.

It's all about balancing the system through duct sizing. Yes, you can balance it with dampers on each takeoff as well.. but if the ducts and diffusers are sized properly, you shouldn't have to.

That's why you really need a comprehensive design that includes the entire HVAC system to be able to determine what you need in the theater. Easy when you start from scratch (like I did), not so easy when you try to connect to an existing system.

Tim
post #557 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My home has radiant heat, so the ductwork will only supply cooling. That being said, once the temperature drops outside the condenser will no longer be able to function.

At that point I am relying on the cold outdoor temps to keep the room kind of cold. I can also utilize the Fan function to draw the 68 degree air from the rest of the home and circulate it into the theater.

Tim

Last winter we tried just a simple fan outside of the theater to try to blow basement air into the room. It didn't help much. Significant design flaw in the theater room for me has two incoming vents, and nothing for air to get "out" of the room. That will change this winter when I put in a motorized "dead vent" to suck air out of the room. With the A/C running in summer, this will get the air a place to vent out of and thus provide some nice circulation in the room. In winter, all it will do is help to pull warm air out of the room and I will still need my fan in the door.

I am hoping to find some sort of system that will allow fresh air into the room. Either from outside (cold air in winter) or even from another room in the basement to do kind of a reverse dead vent and put a fan in to control the direction.

A ductless unit would probably be best, but they are spendy (for us - some of you have more disposable income than we do) and I think that doing some combination like this will get us closer to comfort. Then again, my family likes it warmer than I do, so they don't think that it is much of a problem as is.

Alright, back to your regularly schedule theater build...
post #558 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fabric Frames...

IMG_1810.JPG

I put a brace in the middle of the frames that don't have rigid insulation in them.. to keep the frames from bowing in the middle:
IMG_1813.JPG

How many staples? This many:
IMG_1814.JPG

Z-clips on the wall awaiting panels:
IMG_1815.JPG

How'd I line them up? I marked the centers of the panels and used templates:
IMG_1816.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG

The good news is that everything looks great. The bad news... I ran out of fabric. I don't have enough to finish the panels next to the walkway. I have enough black to do them.. Not sure what I am going to do.

The frames are 10x40 and 20x40; they are 2-1/2" deep. There is 2" thick Knauf 3 pound density rigid fiberglass in them. The fiberglass sits 1/4" back from the fabric and 1/4" off the wall (due to the strips mounted to the back of the frames)

Tim
post #559 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I LOVE the way those panels look! Very classy, sir.

Is there some reason you can't order more fabric? I'm sure you don't want to spend the money on it, but I would think that would be a better alternative thank saving it unfinished. I think I'm missing something, though.

post #560 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I LOVE the way those panels look! Very classy, sir.

Is there some reason you can't order more fabric? I'm sure you don't want to spend the money on it, but I would think that would be a better alternative thank saving it unfinished. I think I'm missing something, though.

Thanks for the compliment. I am happy with the way they turned out. There is 5" space top/bottom/between and the measurements work out to within 1/4" between all the areas in the theater. Quite lucky.

No, you're not missing anything. I'd have to order another 5 yards (minimum order) when I need 1. Not the end of the world, but if I hadn't built frames already I would call it done!

I was thinking of going with some printed fabric panels for the large frames (I have enough red to do the small ones), but I think it would be cheaper to just buy the red. Or I could talk you into putting red GOM in your theater.. and getting an extra yard biggrin.gif

Tim
post #561 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I agree - they came out NICE! I wasn't expecting this look, and I really like it.

You should post in the forums for WTB fabric. I bet someone has a little.
post #562 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

I agree - they came out NICE! I wasn't expecting this look, and I really like it.

You should post in the forums for WTB fabric. I bet someone has a little.

Thank you, Fred. The alternating sizes had not been planned, but it was the only way to get the panels to span all of the various wall areas. Thus the shortage of fabric when you wrap 2x as many panels as originally planned.

Did I mention how nice I think your theater would look with red GOM? smile.gif

Tim
post #563 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wow... terrific job on the panels. They look amazing in the room. I may have missed it, but what are the constructed of?

The Big Bay Home Theater Build Thread
My personal theater build on Kempenfelt Bay, Barrie Ontario Canada
post #564 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Did I mention how nice I think your theater would look with red GOM? smile.gif
J_P_A likes this.
post #565 of 597 Old 09-15-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the compliment. I am happy with the way they turned out. There is 5" space top/bottom/between and the measurements work out to within 1/4" between all the areas in the theater. Quite lucky.

No, you're not missing anything. I'd have to order another 5 yards (minimum order) when I need 1. Not the end of the world, but if I hadn't built frames already I would call it done!

I was thinking of going with some printed fabric panels for the large frames (I have enough red to do the small ones), but I think it would be cheaper to just buy the red. Or I could talk you into putting red GOM in your theater.. and getting an extra yard biggrin.gif

Tim

Haha, I hear you man!

I think Fred has a good idea. You could even check with the other builds that have used the same color and see if they have any left. You might also call whomever you bought the material from and see if they can sell you a scrap from the end of the roll since you already bought some.

post #566 of 597 Old 09-16-2013, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memmo View Post

Wow... terrific job on the panels. They look amazing in the room. I may have missed it, but what are the constructed of?

The frames are 3/4" MDF. On the small frames I used 1/4" masonite (HDF) to keep them square and provide a mounting surface for the z-clips. On the large frames it's 3/8" plywood. Why? Because it's what I had! I'm down to practically nothing as far as scraps go. I even used some old pieces of MDO for center braces in the large frames smile.gif

Tim
post #567 of 597 Old 09-16-2013, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a photo of the speakers. Illustrates why I'm having reflection issues off the ceiling. I'm just happy they fit.

IMG_1801.JPG

Tim
post #568 of 597 Old 09-16-2013, 03:40 AM

Nice job, Tim. I like the surface-mounted panel look you've got going on there.

I hope you're getting lots of use out of the room already!
post #569 of 597 Old 09-16-2013, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

Here's a photo of the speakers. Illustrates why I'm having reflection issues off the ceiling. I'm just happy they fit.

IMG_1801.JPG

Otherwise, just turn them upside down around the tweeter... I doubt you'll hear any problems over that one or two mids end up behind the frame.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #570 of 597 Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice. Nothing like having the tweeters on the "bottom" to get the full speaker behind the screen.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page