post #571 of 597 Old 09-16-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

Nice. Nothing like having the tweeters on the "bottom" to get the full speaker behind the screen.

I thought the same thing biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 597 Old 09-17-2013, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
They fit either way.. with the tweeters on the bottom they are firing at ear level. If I inverted, the tweeters would be firing two feet over your head.

Other than laying them on their side, I don't know that there is right or wrong side up.

Tim
post #573 of 597 Old 09-17-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

They fit either way.. with the tweeters on the bottom they are firing at ear level. If I inverted, the tweeters would be firing two feet over your head.

Ok! Consider my earlier suggestion withdrawn.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #574 of 597 Old 09-17-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Could you make some smaller stands and flip them over?

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #575 of 597 Old 09-17-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow Tim, I don't know how I missed your build before but just went through it. The final space turned out incredible.

An Aspen Woods Theater - Under Construction

post #576 of 597 Old 09-17-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Could you make some smaller stands and flip them over?

I could, but I'm not sure why. What are your thoughts?

Tim
post #577 of 597 Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB77 View Post

Wow Tim, I don't know how I missed your build before but just went through it. The final space turned out incredible.

Thanks! I just checked out your thread.. You flew under my radar. Are rooms are almost the same size.. and it's always nice to see another DIY speaker build!

Tim
post #578 of 597 Old 09-18-2013, 06:24 AM

Liked: 15
If I didn't take length off for the IB space we would have had really similar spaces. It's good to see what kind of space the finished room has.
I'm going to try to build some bi-pole surrounds to fit in the cubbies when the room is closer to completion which should be a good little project as well.

An Aspen Woods Theater - Under Construction

post #579 of 597 Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

I could, but I'm not sure why. What are your thoughts?

Tim

If you flip the speakers over and keep the tweeter around the same height you'll reduce the reflections off the ceiling at the cost of having some of the midrange/midbass coming from below the screen. You know your room better than I, but for me the tradeoff here would be worth at least trying.
I think you could even raise the speakers up above ear height, Procella recommends 5/8 X screen height for theirs, angle them down a bit and achieve a reasonable compromise.

-

post #580 of 597 Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

That's what I suggested earlier, but he said tweeters would be above ear level in such a case.

post #581 of 597 Old 09-18-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm suggesting making smaller stands or removing the stands all together. Then the tweeter would be at the same or similar height it is right now. It also would not be worst thing in the world to have the tweeter slightly above listening height provided you have a slight angle on the speakers towards the listener.

-

post #582 of 597 Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

I'm suggesting making smaller stands or removing the stands all together. Then the tweeter would be at the same or similar height it is right now. It also would not be worst thing in the world to have the tweeter slightly above listening height provided you have a slight angle on the speakers towards the listener.

Well, I suggested rotating them around the tweeter, he would have had to make new stands for that, if they were too short when doing that? wink.gif

post #583 of 597 Old 09-18-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I like it the way he has it.

The reason for being on axis with a dome tweeter is due to poor off axis response on dome tweeters.

The acoustic center of the speaker will likely image somewhere close to the center of the speaker between the tweeter and woofers. If he puts most of the speaker below the screen the speaker image would be too low IMO. This would defeat the purpose and advantage of an AT screen.

Also putting them closer to the floor brings floor bounce, pick your poison.

Just my .02 biggrin.gif

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #584 of 597 Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

The acoustic center of the speaker will likely image somewhere close to the center of the speaker between the tweeter and woofers. If he puts most of the speaker below the screen the speaker image would be too low IMO. This would defeat the purpose and advantage of an AT screen.

Also putting them closer to the floor brings floor bounce, pick your poison.

I have my mains "right side up" and on small stands that put them up about 5-6 inches to get the tweeter in line with my front row viewer's ears (since that is where I sit, I made it that way). The whole false wall needs to be AT anyway, so the sound isn't really blocked anyway. The way I look at it is that I am sitting in the entire bottom 48" of my room, and that is where my speakers are situated. Not above my head. I am not saying that you can't go that way. I think that it is a cool idea and somewhat ingenious. Just different logic behind it.

For me, my ceiling is DD+GG+clips/hat. A hard and reflective surface. My floor is 10lb (nice and comfy) pad with a quality carpet. For me, the sound being closer to the floor works better than the ceiling. Since most people have carpet and pad on the floor, it isn't a "one or the other" in terms of poison. There are differences.

Again, I like what is going on in this theater and look forward to seeing how things turn out. Everyone has different thoughts on what to do and each option has some sort of compromise.
post #585 of 597 Old 09-18-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Doing something without compromise seems impossible, you can't even ask a question like "what's the optimal room size?" and get a clear and consise answer from the experts...

post #586 of 597 Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

Doing something without compromise seems impossible, you can't even ask a question like "what's the optimal room size?" and get a clear and consise answer from the experts...

Exactly.

Everyone takes different perspectives on logic and then throws in what their real world situation is. Too often others say that you are completely wrong, but they don't take time to look at the whole set of variables (including cost sometimes). I'm fighting that every time I bring up the cooling in my room. Ok, not so bad in this thread, but I started my own thread, and quickly had many "solutions" that were thousands of dollars, not to mention some nearly physically impossible to implement for my room.
post #587 of 597 Old 09-19-2013, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Heck, I'm not getting email notifications when people post. Thanks for all of the input.

I think that no matter what height you position the tweeter at you will have floor bounce and ceiling reflections. The delay will be the only difference. I don't know enough to say a longer delay is better than shorter (assuming both are <20ms).

I watched Olympus Has Fallen both before and after the wall treatments. The graphs say I have tamed a lot of the reflections. My ears.. I couldn't tell a difference. Of course it wasn't a true A/B test.. the viewings were a week or two apart.

Certainly I'm not arguing treatments don't work.. or they are not worthwhile.. At this point I am content with the amount of treatments. As I mentioned before, and suspect many may also feel the same.. I'm tired! I still have some stuff that I have to finish up, but stick-a-fork-in-me-I-am-done. If I were to attack this issue I would probably make some fabric frames to attach to the soffit in front of the screen. Then I'd cut holes into the soffit which is filled with pink fluffy.

Ever cut holes in drywall in a finished theater that is all black? heh biggrin.gif

Tim
post #588 of 597 Old 09-26-2013, 02:06 PM

Liked: 11
Tim,
It took me three days, but I finally made it thru every post int his thread. Your theater looks fantastic. It has given me a lot of ideas for my movie room if and when I redo it.
E

Epson 5010 with 110" Accuscreen. Yamaha rx-v773, HTPC with XBMC.
post #589 of 597 Old 09-26-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichoya View Post

Tim,
It took me three days, but I finally made it thru every post int his thread. Your theater looks fantastic. It has given me a lot of ideas for my movie room if and when I redo it.
E

Thanks for the compliment! If you have any questions just let me know.

Tim
post #590 of 597 Old 12-16-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35

I thought I would check in to see what you are up to.  Is the theater done and in use?  Any changes planned?

You've been awfully quiet lately.

post #591 of 597 Old 02-25-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 95
post #592 of 597 Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

bumb

Are you calling Tim a Bumb? :D

He hasn't been around lately.  I wonder if the move has kept him busy.  Hopefully he is designing theater 2.0.

post #593 of 597 Old 02-25-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Are you calling Tim a Bumb? biggrin.gif

He hasn't been around lately.  I wonder if the move has kept him busy.  Hopefully he is designing theater 2.0.
fat finger meant bump should have said

"poke"
post #594 of 597 Old 02-25-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

fat finger meant bump should have said

"poke"

That's what I figured, but maybe we should call him a bum for keeping us hanging for so long.  

post #595 of 597 Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I'm sure he's very busy. His profile says he hasn't even logged on to the forums for more than 2 weeks.
Mfusick likes this.
post #596 of 597 Old 06-23-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post
Built the binary diffusers for the back wall. It uses a MLS pseudorandom binary sequence. I got the sequence from Gearslutz (link graciously provided by Helpful.. er HopefulFred).

It's pretty simple. You can start anywhere in the sequence (I changed my start position so I would have pieces of diffuser at the edges of the panels), a "1" means wood, a "0" means no wood. I used 2" strip of 3/4" plywood as a "1". So if the sequence was 1,0,1,1,0,1,1,1 It was 2" wood, 2" gap, 4" wood, 2" gap, 6" wood.

First I laid out the top and bottom rails according to a drawing I made (same way a frmer lays out the top and bottom plate of a wall):

Final result (needs a little trimming, and I need to get bigger mud rings for the receptacles:

Tim
I like what you have done to your HT! How far away from the wall are the slats? Do you put absorbing material behind... If so what are you using? On your LED rope lights... Did you put any kind reflective tape in the soffit to help diffuse the light (so you don't see individual LEDs?

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #597 of 597 Old 06-23-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Here's a photo of the speakers. Illustrates why I'm having reflection issues off the ceiling. I'm just happy they fit.

Tim
Quote:
Fabric Frames...

I put a brace in the middle of the frames that don't have rigid insulation in them.. to keep the frames from bowing in the middle:

How many staples? This many:

Z-clips on the wall awaiting panels:

How'd I line them up? I marked the centers of the panels and used templates:

The good news is that everything looks great. The bad news... I ran out of fabric. I don't have enough to finish the panels next to the walkway. I have enough black to do them.. Not sure what I am going to do.

The frames are 10x40 and 20x40; they are 2-1/2" deep. There is 2" thick Knauf 3 pound density rigid fiberglass in them. The fiberglass sits 1/4" back from the fabric and 1/4" off the wall (due to the strips mounted to the back of the frames)

Tim

Hi job on theater! It looks great!

Also impressed with your speakers.........building subs is one thing, building speakers is another!

How difficult was building crossovers? How's integration with drivers?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page