Is Mitsubishi Ductless AC a good quiet solution to my hot dedicated HT room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-30-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My room is about 15 x 13, with a 10" ceiling. I have a single AC vent in there that simply cannot keep up with the heat build up from my JVC RS 45. After about 45 minutes in there the temp gets uncomfortable, although my wife likes it. Considering a Mitsu ductless unit. Anyone have thoughts on that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-30-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 204
With the PJ on, its fan noise will probably mask the sound from the in-room unit. I wanted a lower noise level as I do a lot of non-PJ music listening. So I bought the Mr. Slim version that uses a duct, and mounted it in the attic, feeding thru the existing ducts (two into the room). Works great.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I installed a Bon-Aire (cheaper China unit) 9000btu mini-split in the rear sofit of my basement theater and it works very well, except the digital thermostat is off by 6 degrees! BUT the fan, even on low, is easily 1-2 times louder than my RS45. I only run the projector in low lamp and cant really hear the projector fan.

I have a AV room in the rear of my theater and if I was doing things all over, I would have mounted the mini-split in there and cut a vent into the ajoining wall and put a quiet pusher fan in that hole.

Having said that, even when it's running, it's not that big of a distraction normally. Of quiet scenes it is wierd when it switches off and the noise floor lowers!
post #4 of 4 Old 08-31-2012, 03:09 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 569
I would evaluate the cost of beefy up your supplies and returns using your existing system if your only complaint is you aren't getting enough. You do have a dedicated return in the room I assume?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page