Equipment placement help request - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone!

I'm about to start some framing work on a basement theater. My room is 25 long by 14 wide. I'm putting the screen about 16" from the front wall.

I have a .8 stewart screen from a previous theater I'm lacing back up at 8' x 4.5'. I'm planning to buy the Panasonic AE-7000u.

For projector placement I am considering a couple options:

1. 14'6" which shows 12fl (from projector central calculator) on my screen.
cable run will be done with 35' HDMI
IR transmit distance for glasses is about 30' round trip for the second row of seats. (Will be a third row that is a bar also, but I'm not worried about that many pairs of glasses.)

2. 23' back from the screen and built into the rear soffit.
I don't know how to calculate the brightness for this distance. Can anyone work that? Also can you confirm the throw distance works for my screen size? I think it does looking at projector central, but I'd like confirmation.
cable run would go up to 50' cables. Any issues with this?
IR transmit distance goes up to 45 or 50 feet round trip for the glasses. I think this means a repeater mounted above the screen. Sound correct?
I'm think I'd still want to hang the projector upside down. Both for appropriate screen shift direction and stability of the alignment after bulb changes and filter cleaning. How much space is recommended around it for cooling? Can I bring the soffit really close to the sides of the projector and leave it open to the inside of the soffit for cooling? Or will that create echos and extra fan noise? Will the extra airspace in the soffit actually provide enough cooling if the soffit is brought close or encloses the projector?

Option 1 is the recommended distance from projectorcentral but puts the projector about 6.5' above my riser seating. I'd like to put it in the back if I can for noise and visual appeal if the technical side of it will work.

I'm going to be building soffits to match the existing ones that surround the ducting and moving the current in ceiling lighting, building the riser and putting in a wet bar in an alcove (6' x8') on the side of the room. I'm also framing a door in the back corner and putting in a wall and door at the front right side of the room where there is about a 10' opening now. All of this will give me lots of places to run cables and get them hidden inside the walls, so placement of equipment will not be contingent on the ability to place the cable, just the technical capacity of the equipment and the cables themselves.

Any thoughts on 1.3 versus 1.4 hdmi cables? Obviously, I only care about the video quality on them as the audio will go through the receiver.

Last question: thoughts on doors and vibration? I had originally thought about doing double doors at the front right side. Then my wife suggested double pocket doors. I've become concerned about the doors vibrating and creating noise. Any ideas or good links for stablilzing doors in a theater? I've begun to think that a single door would be better because it would be easier to secure and not vibrate. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-02-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by redoubt View Post

2. 23' back from the screen and built into the rear soffit.

That's a long throw... You really need to check the Panasonic manual to see if you can even get the screen size from that distance. I'd really be thinking about the other option.
Quote:
Option 1 is the recommended distance from projectorcentral but puts the projector about 6.5' above my riser seating. I'd like to put it in the back if I can for noise and visual appeal if the technical side of it will work.

Understand the visual appeal, but modern projectors are really quiet - you might be able to detect it during very quiet scenes, but I doubt it will be objectionable... If the ceiling is painted a dark color, the PJ doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, either.
Quote:
Last question: thoughts on doors and vibration? I had originally thought about doing double doors at the front right side. Then my wife suggested double pocket doors. I've become concerned about the doors vibrating and creating noise. Any ideas or good links for stablilzing doors in a theater? I've begun to think that a single door would be better because it would be easier to secure and not vibrate. Thoughts?

Double doors are lousy for sound isolation and vibration. Pocket doors are downright awful for both of those. Single, solid core door is the way to go.

Be sure to think about HVAC for this room - you'll need more than what would normally be sized for a bedroom (and you'll need a return since the door will be closed tightly).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page