Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-08-2012, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi again!

My room is 14'8" wide and 25' long.

My goal is to have three rows of seating.
--Row one is on the floor and would be 4 power theater recliners.
--Row two is on a 8" riser and also should have 4 power theater recliners.
--Row three is on the same 8" riser, but are 4 bar stool/chairs behind an long bar. (My ceiling is only 8' at the highest and has an 8" soffit around it, a second tier of riser or a taller one is too cramped.)

So far the thinest I've found for chairs is 23" seat and 7" arms. Pallisar and someone else. Doing a "double love seat" (arm-chair-chair-arm-chair-chair-arm) is 113'. I'd prefer a loveseat in the middle and a single on each side, but space is at a premium as I'll explain.

We are putting 4" deep columns on each side. Because the seating area is so long with three rows, at least on set of columns will be adjacent to chairs. So now we are up to 121" used (113+4+4). That only leaves 55" (4'7) for two walkways...

Is 27.5 inches on each side enough? That seems pretty narrow to me. (Anywhere there is not a column you have an extra 4" of walkway, so that helps some.)

How wide are the walkways in your theater?

Thanks again,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 617
27.5 is enough. Where is the door?

I would be more concerned about the size screen that you want to fit in the room and whether an 8 inch riser will provide the proper viewing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 09-08-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Screen is 8' wide. It sits about 30" off the ground and the top about 72". Distance is about 12' to row 1 and 16' to row 2. The bar is around 20'.

In a previous room, we used an 8" riser with reclining couches. It was only an issue for viewing if the second row reclined or slouched and the first row did not. No issue if noone was sitting in the first row.

I would consider a 12" riser, but I'm concerned about the low ceiling. The soffit is only 7'4" off the floor and it cannot be moved. (I tore the sheet rock off it to see if I could move the ducting and plumbing, but its three main ducts and a gas line which is two much to hide elsewhere.) Right now, on an 8" riser you get 6'8" to the soffit and 7'4" to the "high" ceiling. After my last house with 10'+ ceilings, most anything will feel low, but at under 8' it seems a bad idea to go tighter. Thoughts?

One door on the back wall, left corner when facing the back wall. Second door is on the right wall when facing the screen. We are building that section of wall as it is currently open so we have some lattitude on the door placement. Somewhere in the 8-12' back from the screen range is what we are thinking right now.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-09-2012, 05:25 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 617
What kid of chairs are are you using for row 2? you can't fit reclining seats in the 4 ft you are planning. you need 6 1/2.

PROJECTS:

post #5 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have chairs picked out yet, though Palliser was one of the few that looked to fit width wise. Is the recommended 6 1/2 feet just for chair clearance or is that walkway when the chairs are reclined?

In our last home, we had a couch on an 8x4 riser with a second couch in front of it. The room was huge, so we could cheat a little bit around them, so that may have helped my impression that i could put a recliner in a 4' space.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by redoubt View Post

I don't have chairs picked out yet, though Palliser was one of the few that looked to fit width wise. Is the recommended 6 1/2 feet just for chair clearance or is that walkway when the chairs are reclined?
In our last home, we had a couch on an 8x4 riser with a second couch in front of it. The room was huge, so we could cheat a little bit around them, so that may have helped my impression that i could put a recliner in a 4' space.

6 1/2 feet does give a little bit of room for clearance, but really is an accurate amount of room to plan for. Recliners are around 65-70 inches when reclined, so if spaced in the middle, 6 1/2 feet gives you a couple of inches in front and behind the seat. Considering that most adults feet stick out in front of the actual footrest a bit, that "extra' gets used quickly. I like to plan 6 1/2 feet, with zero allocated behind the seating and the full 'extra' space in front of the seat.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Well, darn it and thanks all at once.

I'm back to the drawing board on the riser. The old couches leaned back (i went and checked them) and that is how i got away with a 4' riser before as the couch leaned back behind the riser space.

I'll have to look at door clearance and the walkways again as the riser creates a little bit of a hallway from the front of the room to the bar area.

Thanks for the inputs and advice.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Wallhugger – fully reclines with only 6" / 15cm wall
clearance, allowing greater decorating flexibility and
more efficient use of space.
Single SKU overall depth in full recline = 68" / 173cm
Configuration depths will vary

That is from the Palisar chairs. I'm not sure if that makes it 74" reclined or still 68" (but needed room to lean back.)

Either way, my current redo on the spacing is:

Row one is on the floor level with the backs of the chairs at 10' (leaving 0.5' for recline). This puts viewing distance about 9.5 feet.
Row two gets 10.5' to 17' Putting viewing distance at about 16'. This whole space will be on the riser.
Row three gets the space starting at 17' from screen to the back wall at 23'. This will be an 18" deep bar with barstools behind it. Viewing distance about 19'. Should leave a nice walkway behind it as well.

With an 8' wide screen the front row seems pretty close to the screen. It puts my viewing range at ~1.2 to 2.3x the width.

The door will be on the right wall forward of the first row of chairs so that it opens into the open space between row one and the screen. A second door is on the back wall on the side.

Does this seem more attainable? Is that front row too close?

Thanks,

Steve

(I'm not set on the palisar chairs, more the ability to get 4 wide and still have an nice walkway on each side.)
post #9 of 10 Old 09-14-2012, 07:44 AM

Liked: 13
Do you want the front row or middle row to be your main viewing seats? If your ever unsure, it's usually best to arrange the room around the most optimal viewing for your primary seats, since they will get the most use. If it forces the front row to be 9.5' from the screen (Which in my opinion on your screen size is perfectly fine) than do it.

This is just a random thought. Are you doing a standard 16:9 screen or a cinescope? An 8' wide screen (at 16x9) is 110" diag which is 54" height. A movie that's 2.35:1 might look a bit small to the back row. With a 54" screen height to play with, you could go as wide as 127" cinescope and have the same size of screen for all HDTV content you would have now but then have a much larger display for the wider content. Of course than your front row would likely be too close for that size. Decisions are fun.

post #10 of 10 Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

16x9. 8'x4.5'.

In our last house, we ended up using the second row most of the time.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page