[GUIDANCE] Budget (VALUE) HT setup (Budget 2-3K), Need 5.1 sound + receiver/BD-player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-10-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

This forum was very helpful in the past when building a media server for my father and making a decision on the Oppo (he LOVES it), so I figured I fire something off here.

My father in law has a theater room in his basement. He's fairly tech illiterate, I don't know that he'd be able to tell the difference in good quality sound and bad, so keep that in mind with any suggestions (Read, he will probably end up painting a white rectangle on his wall for his screen, and not with the uber screen paint). I'm not saying I'm going to get him crap, otherwise I wouldn't bother coming here. But I'm looking for the best bang for the buck.

The room is behind closed door, LxW = 16' 3" x 15' 3". It is 8-10 feet high and is pre-wired for 7.1 (although the side channels were wired in the ceiling a couple feet from each wall, I told him we should write-off using them and spend the money elsewhere).

He just bought an Optoma 1080P projector, so what I need to find for him is a receiver, blu-ray/DVD player, and 5.1 speaker setup (may need an AMP?).

He wants to keep it at $2K but is willing to go to $3K if I can find him a killer deal.

I'm willing to do the research and leg work, but I'm not sure where to start. Once I save up enough money to build a setup for myself, I will be more "in the know" =]

Thanks everyone for your time, I appreciate you sharing your expertise and experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-10-2012, 08:52 AM

Liked: 12
i would spend some time researching the best 5.1 speakers you can buy for 2000 and then leave the hundred to get a receiver and bd player. it's really a tight budget to get the system done but i really don't think he that into sound quality. good luck.
Meetloaf13 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
For a $2k budget, I'd break it down into the following:

Speakers: $1200
Receiver: $600
Blu-ray: $200 (why wouldn't you use the existing Oppo in the theater?)

With a $2600 budget, you might look at these
http://www.hometheater.com/content/emotiva-x-ref-xrc-52-speaker-system
Meetloaf13 likes this.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-10-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

The Oppo is at MY father's house. He's rolling some Martin Logan's.

This if for my wife's father, a much different A/V setup =]
post #5 of 8 Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

For a $2k budget, I'd break it down into the following:
Speakers: $1200
Receiver: $600
Blu-ray: $200 (why wouldn't you use the existing Oppo in the theater?)
With a $2600 budget, you might look at these
http://www.hometheater.com/content/emotiva-x-ref-xrc-52-speaker-system

I'm liking what I've read here. I'm clueless as to an Amp. Do you have any suggestions that would run these speakers?

Looks like the sub is actually a 12 and not a 10 like the reviews...and ummm shipping is $0. So I'm looking at $1636 shipped.

I think I'm rolling with these speakers. Great find and thanks for the advice.
X-Ref 12 DSP Powered Subwoofer
1x $699.00

XRM-4.1 X-Ref Monitors (pair)
1x $179.00

XRC-5.2 X-Ref Center/LCR
1x $199.00

XRT-5.2 X-Ref Towers (pair)
1x $559.00

Now I'm looking for an AMP and receiver/player.

Thanks!
post #6 of 8 Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

With a limited budget and an end user who is not an audiophile, I probably would not use a separate amp. Just power the speakers with a decent HT receiver.

It has been a while since I looked but I believe Onkyo usually represents a good value at low-to-mid price points. Onkyo uses Audyssey room correction, whereas competitors from Pioneer and Yamaha use their own proprietary systems (although the Pioneer and Yamaha systems also have their fans).

If your FIL is not worried about 3D, you might also check out used HT receivers. Some nice stuff is available at good prices from owners who are upgrading to 3D-capable units. Browse through the classifieds here at AVS and on Audiogon.
Meetloaf13 likes this.

Maker of the finest saw dust since 1980, give or take

MY Custom AV Cabinet with DIY Pull-Out and Rotate Rack
post #7 of 8 Old 09-10-2012, 01:46 PM

i agree the budget really doesn't allow for a seperate amp and a good avr will power them fine. i went from a basic pionner receiver to a elite sc-37 and it actually sounded like i got new speakers. you could find a good deal on an older elite non-3d on ebay or audiogon. good luck!
post #8 of 8 Old 09-11-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the feedback.

In general, I have decided to get a 7.1 Receiver (in case he wants to add side channels at a future date) and buy a 5.1 system. I'm currently looking at the setup above, Paradigm, Phase Tech, and one other brand that has been recommended to me.

In the next couple of weeks, I am going to check out local A/V Hi-Fi stores to see if there is anything I can demo. I may limit myself to what I can take home to the father-in-laws and try out and return without having to pay exorbitant return shipping costs.

I'm learning quite a bit during this whole process. Thanks again for your tips and suggestions.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page