New Construction...smallish HT space. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-11-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey all. Beginning a new home in a few weeks and have set aside a smaller area of the walkout for a HT. No windows...isolated from the main living areas both up and down. Measures 13'4" wide and 13'8" deep. Entry door is non issue. The screen wall has an area that is recessed about 18" and about 88" wide so I'm thinking 92" diag screen with speakers behind the screen and a AV cabinet below.

I have the width for a 4 seat HT setup along the back wall. That would place my viewing distance at about 10'. My question is do I have room for a set of 3 seats in front of this 4 seat section? Not sure how much space these recliners need to operate. If I don't have room I may opt for a big U shaped sectional with lounges on either end, but there's something about dedicated theater chairs.

While I'm asking...
2D projector under $1000 or 3D under $1500...opinions advice appreciated.
Screen...seen the DIY but wondering about a reasonable prefab screen that would be easier.
I have all the Audio and source units...Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-11-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
If you are thinking of using recliners, 2 rows is definitely out. You need 6-1/2-7' for each row. I don't even think you have enough room for two rows of fold-up style theater seats, so I think the sectional might be a good idea.

With a 10' viewing distance, you will probably want something a little larger than 92" dia., so moving the sectional away from the back wall and closer to the screen will help. Are you thinking of placing your speakers AND the screen in the 18" deep recess or were you thinking of floating the screen outside the recess on a false wall? If it's outside the recess, you have more flexibility with size.

With speakers behind the screen, you will want an acoustically transparent (AT) screen. Do a forum search for Jamestown screens, which are relatively affordable and utilize SeymourAV's Centerstage XD acoustically transparent screen fabric.

Does this room have it's own AC return and sufficient supplies to keep the room cool when full of people and a hot projector? Any pics of the existing space?
post #3 of 17 Old 09-11-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
I agree with Spaceman, two rows is pretty much out. The only chance would be traditional theater seats, non-recliners, and no footrest, but even that would feel tight.

Depending on your speakers, that 18" space might not be enough, so keep that in mind when planning.

Making a DIY screen is pretty straightforward job, most people have great success with it. If you are thinking about that at all, I would say that is a good way to go, and save some money in the process.

Definitely post some pics of the area where you are going to build, at least the screen and recess area.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #4 of 17 Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 17 Old 09-11-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
Thanks for the plan. I'd suggest moving the entrance door. I'd put it behind the seating, if possible. That way you don't have light spilling onto the screen area, or the door breaking up the design in the front of your room.

Would it be possible to move the wall between the theater and that 4'-3" space on the right into that 4'-3" space a bit? Even if you could move it like 6 or 8 inches, that would just give you more flexibility, in terms of speaker choices, and more room for a subwoofer (or two) to fit behind the screen wall.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-11-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

Thanks for the plan. I'd suggest moving the entrance door. I'd put it behind the seating, if possible. That way you don't have light spilling onto the screen area, or the door breaking up the design in the front of your room.
Would it be possible to move the wall between the theater and that 4'-3" space on the right into that 4'-3" space a bit? Even if you could move it like 6 or 8 inches, that would just give you more flexibility, in terms of speaker choices, and more room for a subwoofer (or two) to fit behind the screen wall.

I think that wall on the right can be moved but the chase by the door is fixed from upstairs. I see what you mean on the depth of the recess...could use a bit more room for speakers and subs. The door could be moved but I plan on a full width set of chairs or sectional along the wall on the left. But it could be slid to the left a bit. There will be no light in that hallway either way so not sure its an issue. I have Sierra-1 LRC speakers and some in ceiling speakers for the rear. I have two smaller 10" subs that will actually fit in a 14" deep space (old Rocket ULW-10's with updated amps.) Should be plenty of low end for that room. I've been running the LRC and subs off a Yamaha RXV2700 that I plan on using in the new theater.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-11-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Probable seating if using a sectional. Or a 4 seater across the back.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Have you gone through this thread for ideas (what works and doesn't work)?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/996973/small-theater-build-threads
post #9 of 17 Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My home theater is almost identical in size to yours (actually a little bit smaller). Check out the link in my signature.

I ended up going with a 92" 16:9 screen and four theater recliners.

The Austin Home Theater:
A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #10 of 17 Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The speakers ar 14.25" x 7.5" x 10.5" D and rear ported so the depth and port work against room depth and an AT screen.

Would you be prepared to sell those LRC speakers and start new? (Keep the dual subs.) Then I'd suggest something slim and on wall, or in wall up front, with a shallow AT space,
to go with a DIY AT screen. I'd also recommend you flip the room and have the larger area up front so the mains aren't up against side walls.

Your screen size is small enough that you can pull the seating off the back wall.

And if you want some wow factor to the room, then screen masking and a lighting controller can provide this. I also used Salamander Matteo seats as smaller scale seating.

Theaterb.jpg 116k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Theaterb.jpg (116.4 KB, 12 views)
post #11 of 17 Old 09-12-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

My home theater is almost identical in size to yours (actually a little bit smaller). Check out the link in my signature.

I ended up going with a 92" 16:9 screen and four theater recliners.

I started going over you're thread....might take a bit to get through but I think the 4 chair option is the direction...unless I can find some slimmer theater chairs and squeeze in 5. I don't mind the small size because we have a family room around the corner that will have a 55-60 inch LCD that will house 6-10 people for watching TV/Sports. Thanks for the tips.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

The speakers ar 14.25" x 7.5" x 10.5" D and rear ported so the depth and port work against room depth and an AT screen.
Would you be prepared to sell those LRC speakers and start new? (Keep the dual subs.) Then I'd suggest something slim and on wall, or in wall up front, with a shallow AT space,
to go with a DIY AT screen. I'd also recommend you flip the room and have the larger area up front so the mains aren't up against side walls.
Your screen size is small enough that you can pull the seating off the back wall.
And if you want some wow factor to the room, then screen masking and a lighting controller can provide this. I also used Salamander Matteo seats as smaller scale seating.
Theaterb.jpg 116k .jpg file

Can't get rid of my Sierras...but I might dedicate them to music and rethink my LRC options. The Sierras have been in a cabinet for 5 years and the room was huge, open to other rooms, hallways and stairs and they still filled that space. They should perform in this small room even backed into a corner. But hey, more stuff is always fun.
I might have to look at reversing the room and moving the door down so see if that looks like a better solution.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-12-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Have you gone through this thread for ideas (what works and doesn't work)?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/996973/small-theater-build-threads

Now that is a huge can of worms...and much appreciated. Could be there for months.
post #14 of 17 Old 09-26-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Revamped HT dimensions looking like 14' x 19' or 14' x 23' with room behind the screen for speaker/equip placement. Wondering if there's a better option between the two based on projectors, screen size, etc? Now planning on two rows of seats with a riser.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-26-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

IMG_0799.jpg 2003k .jpg file IMG_0800.jpg 1977k .jpg file

Not sure if this works but these are the new layout options. Opinions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0799.jpg (1.96 MB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0800.jpg (1.93 MB, 4 views)
post #16 of 17 Old 09-26-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
14x23 gets you two rows of 3 with aisles on each side and some space behind the second row for 7.1 if you like. It's just a little bigger than what I'm building. (link in signature)
post #17 of 17 Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Final layout is 14' by 17'6"...according to the bulder. So 2 rows might be out anyway but if I create a 6' riser I can probably use some shallow seats and keep the viewing distance from the front row in the 10' range. Oh well...a few months off. Thanks for the replies. On to more research.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page