Addition advice re: sound isolation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

Been pursuing the forum for awhile and also read "the book" and in early planning stages and have a few general questions. I'm planning a generally rectangular addition to the end of the house that would have a basement and two levels above. The basement would have a dedicated HT and likely have the usual isolation, probably staggered stud, DD, GG, etc. The ground floor would have a family room with a 5.1 and plasma system in it but would a non-dedicated space. It would also likely have some type of french doors on one wall which would open to a living room and rest of house and also another wall that would have an opening to a back hallway that would connect with other rooms. On the second floor would be a kids playroom with some active kids bouncing around.

So I understand at least at a high level the idea of sound isolation for the HT. My question concerns what I should do for the main floor family room, and second floor. The main floor room will be a combo family room/media room but is not dedicated and I can not close it up like a dedicated space. I would mostly watch TV and sports and listen to music in this room and watch the occaisional movie but not at reference levels. Does it make sense to use isolation techniques? I'm also concerned about sound transmission through floor/ceiling among the various levels given kids in the house, so I'm curious what can be done about that. For example the possible transmission of footfalls from the main floor family room to the HT below it. The second floor kids playroom I'd be concerned about containing footfalls from this room to the family room below. This room would be adjacent to kids bedrooms.

I saw the thread below which had some similar but different questions, and I didn't want to thread jack so appreciate if anyone can give some advice on how to handle these two levels. How should I be thinking about them from a sound and sound isolation standpoint?

Thread mentioned above
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428760/do-gg-clips-matter-for-a-semi-dedicated-room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-12-2012, 08:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
One piece of the puzzle is minimizing footfall sounds with a floor floated on a rubber pad for the room above.

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing-solutions/soundproofing-floors/
post #3 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks big. This makes sense to do some floor isolation. Should I also do something about ceiling isolation in these rooms?

And, given the rooms on the main and second floor will have openings to other rooms, does it make sense to do any wall isolation or is that useless?
post #4 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 10:02 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

yes, clips and channel, double layers of drywall with GG on the ceiling in the theater, and the walls.

As for rooms that are wide open, there is not much you can do.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

yes, clips and channel, double layers of drywall with GG on the ceiling in the theater, and the walls.
As for rooms that are wide open, there is not much you can do.

+1

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #6 of 10 Old 09-13-2012, 01:29 PM

Liked: 14
for the main level family room, in our last home we found that the surround sound was too "loud" for watching TV and actually disconnected it. it had its place for dedicated movie time, but for regular watching of TV it just created an environment that was too loud and everyone was screaming over each other. You may want to plan for the ability to use only the TV speakers. just a thought. bob
post #7 of 10 Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Would it make sense to try to do any additional HVAC isolation, in this main level family room and upstairs playroom? In other words like the non-rigid ducts into the room or similar?
post #8 of 10 Old 09-15-2012, 05:38 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #9 of 10 Old 09-15-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

Ok, to summarize, from basement to top:

Basement - dedicated HT - usual isolation techniques: staggered stud, DD, GG, clips what not, isolated HVAC, etc.

Main level - great room/family room/non-dedicated TV, sports, music: floor underlayment and isolated HVAC

Second level - kids playroom: floor underlayment and isolated HVAC
post #10 of 10 Old 09-15-2012, 11:12 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

don't forget to address any holes you cut in the theater drywall shell for electrical and lighting. They should get either backer boxes or putty pads.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page