The Medley's Neck Theater - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 117 Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I made one of these kind of water dust traps today and shop vac'd up all of the drywall dust that was left from the mudding/sanding process. I'm definitely impressed at how well it worked. I filtered out the drywall dust perfectly and turned the water in the bucket into a filthy reconstituted drywall mud-like substance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 117 Old 08-30-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Today's fun: I got a delivery of 35 sheets of OSB, 5 MDF, and 3 plywood. I started laying down my Delta-FL in the basement and carrying all those sheet goods inside. Either I'm getting old, or that was a lot of wood to carry, or both.

I've got the landscape fabric, Delta, and OSB down now in the whole large room area, just need to finish the OSB in the hallways. I also still need to tapcon the OSB down (can't wait to do that!).
post #93 of 117 Old 10-25-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

No theater-specific progress. I've started cutting up MDF/Ply for shelves in the family room. Delta-FL and OSB is done and mostly tapcon'd down. Today we primed most of the basement walls and ceiling.

IMG_4349_zpseeac61b3.jpg
post #94 of 117 Old 12-08-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Might as well update the movement of this glacier...

The theater has seen no work for quite a while. I finished building out the inside and face frames of my cabinet/shelves that hide some of my plumbing and HVAC in the family room. All walls and ceilings were primed, ceilings painted, and a couple of walls have been painted.

post #95 of 117 Old 02-08-2014, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Periodic update time:

Still working on the general basement areas. Paint is done. Built in shelves are done except for removable shelves and cabinet doors. I've got some doors painted and hung to the bathroom and mechanical rooms. Flooring is going in. I hope to have most of the flooring and a good dent put in the trim work this week. Outlets are all wired and installed. I do need to terminate all the CAT6/Coax drops still.

IMG_5134_zps079d63af.jpg

The theater hasn't changed much for a while. I have a 2x2 ledger up around the perimeter of the room for soffits. I also picked up a roll of Linacoustic a couple months ago while I was in VA for work. (Completely getting ahead of myself).

Future Screen Wall:
IMG_5138_zpsb1fba47e.jpg
post #96 of 117 Old 05-04-2014, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quarterly update time!

I am still almost done with the non-theater parts of the basement. Just need to do some cleanup and get the carpet installed. I'm also working on getting the cabinet doors and removable shelves made up for the built-in cabinets. Hopefully within the next few weeks I can get back to tackling the theater.

post #97 of 117 Old 06-01-2014, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

The non-theater living areas are basically done now. (Finally!) I'm looking forward to resuming progress on the theater soon.

Carpet was installed about a week ago:

post #98 of 117 Old 06-01-2014, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Built-in Cabinet

One of the small things that still needs to be finished up in the basement is the cabinet that I built to hide my HVAC return and some plumbing. I made an attempt at making some DIY raised panel cabinet doors for some of the bottom shelves.

Panel blank glue-up:

Stiles:

Rails:

Panels routed:

Dry fit doors:

I made the doors out of pine. They didn't come out perfectly in some cases.... Mostly because I am using a crappy router in my router table and precise height adjustments aren't so great. I'll probably upgrade that if I ever decide to make some nicer stained ones for any future projects. Everything should look fine though since these will just be painted white to match the cabinet.
post #99 of 117 Old 06-01-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Furniture

Yesterday we got furniture delivered for the basement:
IMG_5859_zps0f3cf186.jpg

We also ended up picking up some seating for the future theater at the same time. They are sort of glorified couches with power recline. I was previously planning to get some Fusion Jive's for seating, but these were a bunch cheaper and still work with my narrow room width. The single couch seat might also work out better for situations where we want to cram a bunch of kids in the front row or something (instead of the 3 separate Jive seats).
IMG_5862_zps442b0ee2.jpg
post #100 of 117 Old 06-05-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where did you find those couch seats for the theater?
post #101 of 117 Old 06-06-2014, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip85 View Post

Where did you find those couch seats for the theater?

At a regional DC area furniture store- Regency Furniture.
post #102 of 117 Old 06-07-2014, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

I finished up my raised panel cabinet doors that I've been making and got them mounted. Still need to make the adjustable shelves.

post #103 of 117 Old 10-11-2014, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

It's been quite a while since an update, but I have gotten a bit of time here and there to work on the theater again. I ran all the wire for the in room lights, put flex duct in for the supplies/return, built a couple of supply register boots and lined them with Linacoustic, and began boxing the HVAC/wiring in with soffits around the room.

Not much major progress really, but I look forward to finishing the soffits someday so that I can move on to columns, riser, stage, and the rest of the more theater-y stuff.

Updated pic of screen wall:
ellisr63 likes this.
post #104 of 117 Old 10-24-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I got my HVAC register boots hooked up and closed up the bottom of the soffits. I'm planning to do a small drywall light tray past the soffits on the sides to house 4" recessed cans in front of where the columns will be. The front will get a curved front added for the screen wash cans.

ellisr63 likes this.
post #105 of 117 Old 11-13-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mocking up light tray

I've been thinking and mocking up some light tray details. I was waffling between using the 3" Utilitech lights and the 4" version. One interesting thing: it looks like my Lowe's is getting rid of the 4" lights with a fixed baffle. They only had two of those left on closeout. The 4" gimbled version looks like it is sticking around, and no apparent change to the 3" version.

So, I built up a quick mockup of a 6" wide light tray past my soffit and installed one of each light. Here's a good comparison shot to show the height difference in the two lights:

and a bottom view of the lights:

The 3" cans really are tall in comparison. I think I'm going to go with the 4" cans so that I'll need less extreme crown on the front of the tray to hide the lights. I'm thinking of doing something like this for trim on the front (although probably with different base/crown profiles, or maybe just a single bigger crown):

I'd also have some 2x4 supports for the cantilever every so often, and put an LED strip on the back of the crown.
post #106 of 117 Old 03-28-2015, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Return of the Theater?

Holy crap, it's been a while since I did much of anything with the theater!

I'm always sidetracked by other priorities that eat up my free time to spend on the theater room. I spent a bit of time building out and finishing the half bath in the basement:

I also had some crappy wire closet shelves collapse and rip the wall apart, so I've been making new wood shelves to get my wife's clothes off of the floor:

I did finally get in the theater yesterday for the a few hours and continued adding the second layer to my soffits. I've got all the vertical faces done, just need the second layer to cover the bottom of the soffit and extend out as a light tray.
post #107 of 117 Old 05-08-2015, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

I finally finished hanging the second drywall layer/light tray on the bottom of my soffits. I still need to trim the cantilevered part to its finished length.

One milestone I reached is that I finally used the last sheet of drywall from my original 2x 4' high drywall piles for the basement. I just need to get rid of my wall of sheet good scraps at the dump and then hopefully I can start having a bit of a cleaner, more organized room to work in.
post #108 of 117 Old 06-05-2015, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Let There Be Lights!

I've started taping and mudding the drywall, hooked up a few lights (not yet on a real switch yet though), and I started cutting up some MDF to use for the columns.

post #109 of 117 Old 06-10-2015, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

A week or two ago, I painted some of my recessed light trims and my HVAC vents flat black. I'm using the 4" lights from Lowes for most of my lights, and the 3" versions for my screen wash, but I haven't painted those yet. I got the linear bar register supplies from HVACQuick and a couple of standard grills from Lowes for return duty. I used a normal Rustoleum flat black for the HVAC pieces and some black grill paint that I had left over for the lights just in case. They all look kind of grey in the pic, but they look good and black in person.

I also updated my plans a bit for the rest of the room construction. Here's my current thought:

I'm planning to copy the Cinemar, Merrimont Trace, etc. style of columns, bottom wall paneling, and top wall fabric panel motif. A few decisions that I'm not sure on:
  1. Column depth- I cut some pieces for a first column. I made the sides 8", with an extra 3/4" MDF piece as the front face, so 8.75" deep total. I think that's about the max depth I would consider going, but I think it might be a good idea to cut them even shallower. My room is narrow (~12.5'), so less would likely be better, but I do want to hide surround speakers in them.
  2. Chair rail height- In the above drawing, I scaled the height of each panel to keep the chair rail at 1/3 the distance from the floor (or riser) to the underside of the soffit. I've also seen people just keep the chair rail level on both the floor level and the riser level and just shrink the bottom panel of the column down to fit.
  3. Step up to the riser near the entrance- Any ideas for a better way to make a step up to the back riser after entering? The theater door is at floor level and swings out of the room. I'm thinking that the riser will be a 2x10 frame on the perimeters. I was tossing around the idea of an angled step or some sort of radius?
post #110 of 117 Old 06-11-2015, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Nice build. Keep the posts coming, we are watching.

I plan on painting my HT with the same neutral type of color as in your color choice here.
What color are your walls here?

post #111 of 117 Old 06-11-2015, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjagox View Post

I'm planning to copy the Cinemar, Merrimont Trace, etc. style of columns, bottom wall paneling, and top wall fabric panel motif. A few decisions that I'm not sure on:
  1. Column depth- I cut some pieces for a first column. I made the sides 8", with an extra 3/4" MDF piece as the front face, so 8.75" deep total. I think that's about the max depth I would consider going, but I think it might be a good idea to cut them even shallower. My room is narrow (~12.5'), so less would likely be better, but I do want to hide surround speakers in them.
  2. Chair rail height- In the above drawing, I scaled the height of each panel to keep the chair rail at 1/3 the distance from the floor (or riser) to the underside of the soffit. I've also seen people just keep the chair rail level on both the floor level and the riser level and just shrink the bottom panel of the column down to fit.
  3. Step up to the riser near the entrance- Any ideas for a better way to make a step up to the back riser after entering? The theater door is at floor level and swings out of the room. I'm thinking that the riser will be a 2x10 frame on the perimeters. I was tossing around the idea of an angled step or some sort of radius?
Just my thoughts
Column depth - this will depend on the surround speaker that you are putting in them as to how shallow you can go
Chair rail Height - I have always been partial to keeping it at the 1/3ish height and transition from lower to upper level.... but that's me
Step up - between the two I like the radius it gives you more room when you come in the door, but another option is to come out from the door perpendicular then do a 45 degree to the riser

One day I will start the new theater....... one day..... THAT DAY HAS ARRIVED
Family Cave Theater
Automation Thoughts/ Questions
post #112 of 117 Old 06-12-2015, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLCMT View Post

I plan on painting my HT with the same neutral type of color as in your color choice here.

I can't find the sample paint chip to find the name, but here's the label:
post #113 of 117 Old 06-12-2015, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I can't find the sample paint chip to find the name, but here's the label:
Thanks!
post #114 of 117 Old 06-26-2015, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLCMT View Post

Found the paint chip for the basement walls. It is "Bristlecone" from the Olympic color palette at Lowes. I had them use that paint chip to mix the color using their Valspar paint though because I don't like the Olympic paint (smells bad and doesn't apply as well).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150625_184844.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	796322  
post #115 of 117 Old 06-26-2015, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Found the paint chip for the basement walls. It is "Bristlecone" from the Olympic color palette at Lowes. I had them use that paint chip to mix the color using their Valspar paint though because I don't like the Olympic paint (smells bad and doesn't apply as well).
Thanks!
post #116 of 117 Old 07-02-2015, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Primer

My drywall finishing jobs normally seem OK, but then look disappointingly bad once they get painted. For this room, I spent a lot of time putting a million coats of mud on my soffits to try and get them as smooth as I could to hopefully make an improvement over my past attempts. I got some BIN drywall primer tinted grey, and put it on the ceiling and soffits once I felt confident enough in the mud job. I primed all of the accessible portions of the walls too, even though they won't be exposed. I didn't bother with multiple mud coats on the wall joints past the initial tape coat. I also didn't bother cutting in the corners between ceiling and walls, because I'm planning to install crown molding over all of those joints.

I also didn't prime the front soffit over the screen because I hadn't fully figured out how I would handle the screen wash lights and light tray. I think I've decided to just square the tray above the screen instead of creating a radius on it.

Things look OK so far, so hopefully my extra mud coats did the trick. I hung a piece of cardboard from the ceiling at the planned screen depth (not actual size though, thank god!).
post #117 of 117 Old 08-02-2015, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Stage Framing

The stage is mostly framed. I used 2x8s for the top part of the stage, and I'm going to add a lower step to the front- same basic design as a bunch of other AVS theaters. I plan to use a hardwood lip for the front edges, so I just bent a piece of scrap wood in place on the curved vertical face to give me something to trim the OSB to. My plan is to replace that with painted hardboard in the finished version. No sand in the stage for me. I just filled the stage up with insulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page