I made one of these kind of water dust traps today and shop vac'd up all of the drywall dust that was left from the mudding/sanding process. I'm definitely impressed at how well it worked. I filtered out the drywall dust perfectly and turned the water in the bucket into a filthy reconstituted drywall mud-like substance.
Today's fun: I got a delivery of 35 sheets of OSB, 5 MDF, and 3 plywood. I started laying down my Delta-FL in the basement and carrying all those sheet goods inside. Either I'm getting old, or that was a lot of wood to carry, or both.
I've got the landscape fabric, Delta, and OSB down now in the whole large room area, just need to finish the OSB in the hallways. I also still need to tapcon the OSB down (can't wait to do that!).
Might as well update the movement of this glacier...
The theater has seen no work for quite a while. I finished building out the inside and face frames of my cabinet/shelves that hide some of my plumbing and HVAC in the family room. All walls and ceilings were primed, ceilings painted, and a couple of walls have been painted.
Still working on the general basement areas. Paint is done. Built in shelves are done except for removable shelves and cabinet doors. I've got some doors painted and hung to the bathroom and mechanical rooms. Flooring is going in. I hope to have most of the flooring and a good dent put in the trim work this week. Outlets are all wired and installed. I do need to terminate all the CAT6/Coax drops still.
The theater hasn't changed much for a while. I have a 2x2 ledger up around the perimeter of the room for soffits. I also picked up a roll of Linacoustic a couple months ago while I was in VA for work. (Completely getting ahead of myself).
I am still almost done with the non-theater parts of the basement. Just need to do some cleanup and get the carpet installed. I'm also working on getting the cabinet doors and removable shelves made up for the built-in cabinets. Hopefully within the next few weeks I can get back to tackling the theater.
One of the small things that still needs to be finished up in the basement is the cabinet that I built to hide my HVAC return and some plumbing. I made an attempt at making some DIY raised panel cabinet doors for some of the bottom shelves.
Panel blank glue-up:
Dry fit doors:
I made the doors out of pine. They didn't come out perfectly in some cases.... Mostly because I am using a crappy router in my router table and precise height adjustments aren't so great. I'll probably upgrade that if I ever decide to make some nicer stained ones for any future projects. Everything should look fine though since these will just be painted white to match the cabinet.
Yesterday we got furniture delivered for the basement:
We also ended up picking up some seating for the future theater at the same time. They are sort of glorified couches with power recline. I was previously planning to get some Fusion Jive's for seating, but these were a bunch cheaper and still work with my narrow room width. The single couch seat might also work out better for situations where we want to cram a bunch of kids in the front row or something (instead of the 3 separate Jive seats).
It's been quite a while since an update, but I have gotten a bit of time here and there to work on the theater again. I ran all the wire for the in room lights, put flex duct in for the supplies/return, built a couple of supply register boots and lined them with Linacoustic, and began boxing the HVAC/wiring in with soffits around the room.
Not much major progress really, but I look forward to finishing the soffits someday so that I can move on to columns, riser, stage, and the rest of the more theater-y stuff.
I got my HVAC register boots hooked up and closed up the bottom of the soffits. I'm planning to do a small drywall light tray past the soffits on the sides to house 4" recessed cans in front of where the columns will be. The front will get a curved front added for the screen wash cans.
I've been thinking and mocking up some light tray details. I was waffling between using the 3" Utilitech lights and the 4" version. One interesting thing: it looks like my Lowe's is getting rid of the 4" lights with a fixed baffle. They only had two of those left on closeout. The 4" gimbled version looks like it is sticking around, and no apparent change to the 3" version.
So, I built up a quick mockup of a 6" wide light tray past my soffit and installed one of each light. Here's a good comparison shot to show the height difference in the two lights:
and a bottom view of the lights:
The 3" cans really are tall in comparison. I think I'm going to go with the 4" cans so that I'll need less extreme crown on the front of the tray to hide the lights. I'm thinking of doing something like this for trim on the front (although probably with different base/crown profiles, or maybe just a single bigger crown):
I'd also have some 2x4 supports for the cantilever every so often, and put an LED strip on the back of the crown.
Holy crap, it's been a while since I did much of anything with the theater!
I'm always sidetracked by other priorities that eat up my free time to spend on the theater room. I spent a bit of time building out and finishing the half bath in the basement:
I also had some crappy wire closet shelves collapse and rip the wall apart, so I've been making new wood shelves to get my wife's clothes off of the floor:
I did finally get in the theater yesterday for the a few hours and continued adding the second layer to my soffits. I've got all the vertical faces done, just need the second layer to cover the bottom of the soffit and extend out as a light tray.