The Medley's Neck Theater - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes
post #151 of 180 Old 07-06-2016, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Beautiful work !!
May I ask what are the dimensions of your room ?

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 180 Old 07-06-2016, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by james27587 View Post
Beautiful work !!
May I ask what are the dimensions of your room ?

James
Thanks!
The room is about 24'L x 12.5'W. The basement has nominally 9' ceilings (about 8'6' in reality).
post #153 of 180 Old 07-06-2016, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Just accidentally tripped over your thread and wanted to complement you on the design and build. Great progress so far. I'm sure you'll love the HW45 .. I have an HW40 and couldn't be happier.
Make sure you put a picture of the finished project in the 'completed theaters' thread .. others will be inspired.

Ian

My finished "Media Room"

post #154 of 180 Old 09-02-2016, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Almost There

I am always surprised at just how long I manage to go between updates, but the good news is that I've actually been making some progress on the room.

All the trim/wainscoting got another coat of paint. I framed up some posts with french cleats and hung my spandex screen in its actual location. I also finished two subwoofer boxes with an Infinity 1262w driver in each. I got those hooked up and installed behind the screen.

Next up, I hung my new Sony HW45 projector. I also got my surround speakers installed in the column. Here's the obligatory first shot of the projector all fired up:

Awesome! I think I'm honestly more impressed by the kick ass sound. I spent some time downloading the THX deep note intro and all the Dolby/DTS trailers and just sitting and watching those. The THX deep note intros are just amazing.

I showed my son the working theater one day and he spent the next hour and a half sitting on the dirty riser watching Avengers.

We are still struggling to pick out a carpet that we like for the room. I'm almost thinking of just finding a cheap solid color carpet. I've had a preconceived vision of something similar to the Masland Quadrate that many of the classics here use, but I can't find anything I really like, and most things that we do like are all ridiculously expensive and probably not worth it in terms of value.

I've started to wrap some of my fabric panels too. Here is the first two wrapped and put up on the wall:

In non-theater news, we got a pool installed. Unfortunately that means even more new projects (landscaping) to add to the list of stuff that I already have on my plate.

The pool is awesome though. We definitely need it and use it, especially with the brutal summer we've been having. We had hoped to have the install done earlier in the summer, but they delayed because of backups from the rainy spring/early summer. Thankfully the actual pool install went crazy fast (only took them 5 days of actual work spread out over 2 weeks).

To do list:

-Finish caulking
-Trim out the front edges of the riser and stage (I'm thinking dyed black hard wood)
-Paint columns and wainscoting
-Paint ceiling
-Make Fusion 12 speakers
-Build minimalist screen wall framing
-Mount surround speakers in the columns
-Make wall fabric panels
-Make column insert fabric panels w/ trim
-Build a screen (planning on DIY spandex)
-Build a sub x2
-Buy/install projector + receiver
-Carpet
-Watch movies
texpilot likes this.
post #155 of 180 Old 09-02-2016, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Looking good. Thanks for the update.
post #156 of 180 Old 09-09-2016, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Fabric Panels

I made some more progress with my fabric wall panels, and got my first wall sconce installed:

prican2000 likes this.
post #157 of 180 Old 09-10-2016, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Your theater is looking amazing! How are you liking that 45es and Spandex screen combo?

That's not science! - Cyborg

Steam ID: The Barbeerian

Rivers Edge Theater
post #158 of 180 Old 09-10-2016, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Your theater is looking amazing! How are you liking that 45es and Spandex screen combo?
Thanks! I think the projector and screen look great. It's my first setup though, so I have a poor frame of reference vs other home projectors.

Building the spandex screen worked out well and it was cheap, so I'm glad I went that route. I do have a little swatch of Seymour screen fabric. I'll have to put that up against the spandex some day for comparison.
brian6751 likes this.
post #159 of 180 Old 09-11-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjagox View Post
Building the spandex screen worked out well and it was cheap, so I'm glad I went that route. I do have a little swatch of Seymour screen fabric. I'll have to put that up against the spandex some day for comparison.
When you compare the Seymour make sure you have a black backer. The white from the spandex will show through and skew the results. May appear just slightly brighter and the weave pattern may not be as obvious. Black backer will give you a more real world comparison.
brian6751 likes this.

Last edited by DavidK442; 09-11-2016 at 09:42 PM.
post #160 of 180 Old 10-24-2016, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still not quite done with my red wall fabric panels, but I did get the room all cleaned up:

...because...

CARPET!

I promptly got the seats moved into the room and put in place so that we could have our first real movie night in the theater.

Now, I just need to keep a little bit of motivation to get the last two wall panels done, get the area around the screen false walled in, fill in the black panels in the columns, and finish up the trim work around the door to the theater. Almost there!
KillerBee and jessewendt like this.
post #161 of 180 Old 11-05-2016, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

I got the final two wall panels wrapped and the wall sconces installed:

To do list:
-Finish caulking
-Trim out the front edges of the riser and stage (I'm thinking dyed black hard wood)
-Paint columns and wainscoting
-Paint ceiling
-Make Fusion 12 speakers
-Build minimalist screen wall framing
-Mount surround speakers in the columns
-Make wall fabric panels
-Make column insert fabric panels w/ trim
-Build a screen (planning on DIY spandex)
-Build a sub
-Buy/install projector + receiver
-Watch movies!
-Tie tray lights into Grafik Eye
-Add step lighting
-Build false fabric panels around screen
-Finish trimming out the inside of the door
brian6751 and DavidK442 like this.
post #162 of 180 Old 12-03-2016, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey, more pics please :-) Great room and nice work!

Wanted: M&K Sound MPS-2510P, S-150P, MPS-2525P, SS-250P
Stereo Integrity HT18 D4 subwoofer drivers
post #163 of 180 Old 12-03-2016, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcat View Post
Hey, more pics please :-) Great room and nice work!

Thanks! I'm definitely in the "use it too much and not work on it enough" phase now.

What do you want pictures of?
post #164 of 180 Old 12-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
CARPET!
Good looking carpet! What brand is it?
post #165 of 180 Old 12-04-2016, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
Good looking carpet! What brand is it?

The Dark Mystery color
KillerBee and mikela like this.
post #166 of 180 Old 01-31-2017, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

The good news:
The theater is fully operational and we have been enjoying it!

The bad news:

Progress at the Medley's Neck Theater is even slower than ever!

I do occasionally try to knock out some of the small details that are left. First, I've been trying to finish up the removable fabric panels that are meant to fill in the holes in the columns.

I glued some scraps across the corners of each opening. I put a drywall screw into each of the corner blocks.

Then, I built some wooden frames and drilled holes in each corner for a neodymium magnet. I epoxied a magnet in each corner and stapled some black GOM 701 fabric to the front of the frame. I cut up some panel molding into a picture frame to cover the staples and overhang onto the column face.

This has worked pretty well. The panels snap in nicely and the magnets hold them against the drywall screws. So far I have three upper fabric frames done, all 8 lower frames done, 2 upper frames fully trimmed out, and 3 of the bottom ones with trim.

Here are the two fully completed columns:
texpilot likes this.
post #167 of 180 Old 02-18-2017, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Securing my Grafik Eye

Up until now, my Grafik Eye has been kind of flapping in the breeze, just supported by all of the wires going into the box.

To hold it in place so that I can cover the column opening with a fabric panel, I built some little wooden C-brackets with holes in the top and bottom to run a screw through.

I screwed these brackets into the wall behind the GE. You can move the GE around to level it and adjust the depth. Lightly driving the screws in clamps the metal box into place.
texpilot likes this.
post #168 of 180 Old 02-18-2017, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
How did you attach the red fabric to your walls?

Looks great BTW!
post #169 of 180 Old 03-04-2017, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibze View Post
How did you attach the red fabric to your walls?

Looks great BTW!

I made wooden frames with 2 layers of 1/2" plywood, with lap joints on the four corners. The fabric was stapled onto the frames, and the frames got slid into place on the walls. I left a 1" gap behind the crown molding at the top and behind the top half of the chair rail. The frames sit in those gaps to be held in place.
post #170 of 180 Unread Yesterday, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Almost Done

I'm inching closer to completion on the room. I put black GOM panels forward of the front columns, and put black GOM fillers on the sides of the screen and under the screen on the false screen wall. I have the top filler panel built but just need to staple fabric to it. Pretty much all that's left is cutting the rest of the trim frames to hide the edges of the column inset fabric panels.

brian6751, NotShorty and DavidK442 like this.
post #171 of 180 Unread Yesterday, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Your theater has really turned out well. With the myriad of room layouts considered it certainly looks like you made the right choice.
Five years in the making; I commend your perseverance. Five months is about my limit for any project.
Did the end result of your sound proofing effort live up to expectations?
Any thing you would have done differently in the room?
post #172 of 180 Unread Yesterday, 03:34 PM

Liked: 1
Very Nice! Just happened to look and saw this thread in the Active Topics sidebar. It caught my attention as my best friend lives off of Medley's Neck Rd. I just finished our media room recently ran across your thread as I was researching DIY subwoofers (the only thing I'm not happy with yet). Anyway, it's good to see a 'county' build thread here.
post #173 of 180 Unread Yesterday, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Your theater has really turned out well. With the myriad of room layouts considered it certainly looks like you made the right choice.
Five years in the making; I commend your perseverance. Five months is about my limit for any project.
Did the end result of your sound proofing effort live up to expectations?
Any thing you would have done differently in the room?
Thanks!

I'm completely happy with the (almost) finished product. The theater was part of a whole basement project, and between kids and work it is easy to drag a big project like this out for a long time. I'm also really bad about starting 3 or 4 other projects while I'm completing project #1.

Soundproofing:
I think it turned out great. The door is definitely the weak point. If you are in the rest of the basement, you can hear sound leak out through/around the door. With the hollow core door at the top of the basement shut though, it is basically quiet in the rest of the house. Some bass gets upstairs if it is reasonably loud. I have been able to run nail guns, compressor, and saws in the room for a while without waking the kids when they were sleeping. My wife claims she couldn't hear that stuff upstairs.

Nothing major that I would have done differently.
  • Some of my fabric is a bit overstretched on some of the panels. It doesn't bother me enough to try to go back and fix it right now.
  • I just barely had enough black FR701 GOM. Literally none left on the roll when i laid it out to do the last couple panels.
  • It would be nice to have a separate mini split for the room. It gets hot if the heat is running in the winter. Probably not worth the extra cost and complexity though.
  • I wish i had a bit more space to work with. I was pretty width limited. No room in the columns for lots of possible surround speaker choices.
  • My plan for fitting the fabric frames behind the trim after the fact was a bit difficult in some cases. I had to bevel the backs of some of the frames to get enough clearance to get them in place. I had to rebuild a couple after the fact and wasted some time.
  • I could have gone even bigger with the screen, but I don't think that is really possible without a higher ceiling and/or bigger room.
DavidK442 likes this.
post #174 of 180 Unread Yesterday, 06:17 PM

I don't have enough messages to reply to PM's yet, but it looks like you live right next door to him.
post #175 of 180 Unread Today, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojitoskipper View Post
I don't have enough messages to reply to PM's yet, but it looks like you live right next door to him.
Like, literally right next door? Roger?
post #176 of 180 Unread Today, 03:02 PM

Yep, that's him. We've been friends for 30 years and I was the best man at their wedding. Small world huh? I sent him a text last night and asked if his neighbor was building a theater in the basement and he had no idea.
post #177 of 180 Unread Today, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

That's funny. We've known them for a long time, our wives worked together for a few years at Tidewater.

You're welcome to check out my room in person if you're ever interested. I've got DIY Infinity 1260 subs, although that probably won't help you because the drivers are discontinued.
post #178 of 180 Unread Today, 03:53 PM

Quote:
That's funny. We've known them for a long time, our wives worked together for a few years at Tidewater.

You're welcome to check out my room in person if you're ever interested. I've got DIY Infinity 1260 subs, although that probably won't help you because the drivers are discontinued.

Yes, I'll have to come check it out soon. I went through your thread again and it reminded me how I first framed my basement 9 years ago and just finished it this past fall/winter. Wife was worried that the kids would be out of the house before it was done so I was mandated to get it done. I got side tracked and started building a boat so I had to put the boat on hold for a year but I'm about to get back into boat building mode. I'm really happy with the way it turned out but just need to build a pair of decent subs to finish it off. Here is a pic of my basement with 3 TV's on the front wall. It is really a great mixed purpose room for games and movies. Also attached is a pic of the boat that I built from scratch. Told my wife that I would have that done it 1 year and I'm on year 6 (but I did take a year off).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	2010729   Click image for larger version

Name:	progress - december.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	2010737  
post #179 of 180 Unread Today, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that looks like an impressive boat project. Did you build the whole hull from scratch?
post #180 of 180 Unread Today, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Wow, that looks like an impressive boat project. Did you build the whole hull from scratch?
Yep, if you go to youtube and search Flats Boat Build you'll see that I've done 63 time lapse videos. It really makes me laugh as my son was so tiny standing next to me in the early videos and now he's almost as tall as me and entering high school next year. He's the same age as Grace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction