Recessed Lighting & Soundproofing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know what the standard response is to putting recessed lights in a room that you are trying to soundproof. However, my home studio/office it is necessary for me to have them for my work. It is located in my lower leve. I am installing multiple LED recessed lights, with a bedroom located directly upstairs. yes, I know, herein lies the challenge. I am up late, and have quite a sound system in my studio. So my quesiton is regarding my planned method, knowing that is isn't perfect by any means. I am using RC with 5/8" DD + Green Glue. Where I have recessed lights, I planed to use another layer of double or triple drywall with GG inbetween my TGI joists the length of the entire cavity that the lights reside. I will also use R19 insulation.

I have looked at the tutorials on building boxes, but I am not qualified to do something like this. Will my planned method be somewhat effective? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-15-2012, 06:17 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurchtt View Post

I have looked at the tutorials on building boxes, but I am not qualified to do something like this.

I'm scratching my head wondering with all the other work you are planning why you can't build a basic 5 sided box?
post #3 of 3 Old 09-17-2012, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
By RC, do you mean the standard resilient channel, not the hat channel with clips? If so, I would find out if it can support 2 layers + of 5/8". Not so sure that it can.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page