• 1 Post By ohiodaveht
  • 1 Post By domz777
  • 1 Post By NightSkyMurals

post #1 of 28 Old 09-15-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello all! I'm new here and started lurking around the HT threads. I am simply amazed at the amount of craftsmanship, creativity, and artistic ability of people on this forum. You have inspired me to improve my home with an upgrade. I do not have funding for a home theater, as I am only 3 years out of college and paying back some hefty student loans. However that will not deter me from improving my home in an economical way.

here is some of my thought process for building a soffet/recessed ceiling.
the room is 133 in x 191 in or 11ft x 16 ft

I plan on making a 24 inch wide x 10 inch depth soffet with 8 recessed can lights.

2 or 4 wall sconces at the head board to provide individual light for each side of the bed.
I plan to have a spot in the soffet to add a light to shine on a 24 x 36 inch painting to hang over the bed that I'm currently working on.

I plan on painting a sky and a glow in the dark "night sky mural" (credit to Jeff for the name) overlay inspired by his thread, as well as dimable LED lights and a pair of 48" black lights on a timer to charge the phosphorous in the paint. I plan on putting 2 outlets in the soffet for the black lights and LEDs to plug into. As of right now I plan on using simple Christmas light timers, unless someone can suggest a better timer. The black lights need only be on for 5-10 minutes to charge the stars and i would like the leds to mimmick day and night... ie sunrise and sunset. The closest thing i have found that resemble this function, is an aquarium LED cover that mimmicks the sun and moon cycles, any economical suggestions on this task would help greatly.

here are a few products i plan to use

http://www.cheapdjgear.us/48_Blacklight_Fixture_p/f48a.htm

http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=86

http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-TT-SL001-Waterproof-Changing-Controller/dp/B004T0BM0O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=X6QNC4OL08&coliid=I3FOMSZ1JS4ZTE

http://www.amazon.com/LEDWholesalers-LED-Lighting-Wireless-3317-DM/dp/B004T9T1XA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=X6QNC4OL08&coliid=I1SQ31HQS01K92

http://www.menards.com/main/lighting-fans/indoor-lights/recessed-lights/5-recessed-cans-for-new-construction/p-1728564-c-6358.htm

http://www.menards.com/main/lighting-fans/indoor-lights/recessed-lights/5-steel-mini-housing-can-w-baffle/p-1728567-c-7499.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to play around with SketchUp to build my design for my Master bedroom. Enjoy!

Of course the wall sconce will be different and the fan has a bowl light. there will be light dimmers for each sconce below those lights, and one for the canned lights next to the existing light switch.
post #3 of 28 Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well the remodel has officially begun! I do not have the drywall yet, but I do have everything else
to get the project started.

I first started with the wall plate after locating and marking all the studs and rafters, and marking them with pencil and a chalk line.

My son decided to help me out today as well biggrin.gif

I used 2x4's for the parallel runs, and started here because it would result in the most cuts and drilling. These
2x2's have forced me to pre-drill all my holes, so there is a lot of bit changing.

I had to take down and redo the front wall. I miss measured and needed to remove 1 7/16 ths of an inch to accommodate for the lower shelf.

Now that the first wall is done I can start on the opposite wall tomorrow. Gabriel started getting crabby and Mommy was
at work, so I needed to pay attention to him... He did not like the drill too much either. tongue.gif
post #4 of 28 Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 PM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I didn't see this mentioned, so let me suggest this in case you hadn't thought about this. I would suggest either two different outlets, or one that can have the upper outlet connected to one switch, while the bottom is connected to another. Here's why... Black lights will blow out if they are put on a dimmer, so you will need a regular on and off switch for those. Then, you will probably want the rope lights to be on a dimmer to get the right look and feel. So, either two outlets, or the little wire clipped in one so that you can connect eachone to a different switch.

Also, I have a good source for black lights (low profile that connect together - so you don't need a cord for each light) that is very reasonable to begin with, and has told me that they will give 5% to anyone who mentions my name, or business (I get nothing from them... I just worked out the deal). Then, after so many people order lights, they will bump up the discount to 10%.

Wow, your soffit looks very much like the one that I built in my office. You'll love it.

Good luck.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook
Hairs On Neck... Please Stand!

post #5 of 28 Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Jeff! I did plan on having two seperate outlets. I have a pair of electronic timers I got at the hardware store that will be used to
turn the black lights on every evening for about 15-20 minutes. As of this moment I have two LED stips of 15 foot lengths, and I will be looking to
get a 3rd when the money comes in to do so. I have not purchased the black lights yet, what is the link to the company you recomend?
I appriciate your help, the design looks like yours because I may have been looking at your exterior office build for insperation ^_^ Hope you
don't mind ~_^

Heres the Valentines day update. The 2nd wall when much quicker then the first. This side of the room had a rafter right along side my
24 inch mark which allowed me to just screw the 2x4 right up to it.

and just like that the other wall is up. I wanted to build the 2 side walls as well, but my wife was comming home
and she had plans. I will probably change my canned light config to be 3 on either long side and 1 on the short sides.

Work will have to persume after work today. ^_^
post #6 of 28 Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

I finished the 2 side walls yesterday afternoon. I'm looking forward to building the shelf and getting all of the wiring mapped out.
It's nice to get a visual of how large the mural is going to be.

post #7 of 28 Old 02-19-2013, 03:45 PM

Location: Based in Salt Lake City, UT... but most of my work is done all over the USA and Canada. I cover all areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFSemicolen View Post

Thanks for the info Jeff! I did plan on having two seperate outlets. I have a pair of electronic timers I got at the hardware store that will be used to
turn the black lights on every evening for about 15-20 minutes. As of this moment I have two LED stips of 15 foot lengths, and I will be looking to
get a 3rd when the money comes in to do so. I have not purchased the black lights yet, what is the link to the company you recommend?

OK, for now... this is just a suggestion. A customer was looking for an alternative to Wildfire black lights... and was very happy with this company (Just remember that the lights work much better with the covers off of them). The web address is www.slimfluorescent.com which I believe is a subsidiary of Savio Lighting. Now, you can't get the discount from the web site... but you need to call the sales guy himself (because they normally don't do discounts like this). His name is Steve and his number is... actually, let me post his email address instead. His email is SWinrow@SavioLighting.com

Tell him that you want the Night Sky Murals discount, which should be 5% now, and will go up as more people get lights. But, they are already about half price of what WildFire is, so it sounds like a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulFSemicolen View Post

I appriciate your help, the design looks like yours because I may have been looking at your exterior office build for insperation ^_^ Hope you
don't mind ~_^

I thought they looked the same. Very cool... and no, I don't mind. I'm just happy that I was able to post something in this forum that actually helped someone else. I was feeling a little greedy by using lots of ideas from here and didn't feel like I was contributing. Now I feel better. :-)

Good luck!

Jeff
dabsabre likes this.

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #8 of 28 Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 PM

Just an update on the black lights and the discount. The customer who suggested them is having a problem with a couple lights and I want to see how they handle it with him. So, if I don't add another comment... then they will have handled it to his satisfaction.

Jeff

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #9 of 28 Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the update Jeff!

I would have worked on the soffit last week, however my Grandpa passed away last Sunday and I was honored in being a pallbearer for him on Thursday.
I did get to work yesterday though for about 4 hours and finished the side shelves.

It was rather comical for me to lift and mount these shelves by myself. they measures in at 128"x28" or 10.5'x2.5'
I only dropped the first one once and was bonked on the head ^_^

Pardon my mess. My wife has not put her clothes away yet. She might have to rewash some of them
with excess saw dust and drywall dust that fell down. o.O

dabsabre likes this.
post #10 of 28 Old 02-25-2013, 01:29 PM

Looking great!

BTW... for the record, you mentioned my "exterior office build" as inspiration for the soffit idea. Just want to be sure that Xzener get's credit for that. I got inspiration from the soffits in his theater build, for my office soffits. I guess... that's what this forum is for, right? Everyone sharing and stealing ideas? :-)

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #11 of 28 Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Milestone acheived! Finished framing the soffit today. ^_^

I'm still researching on how to do my Sunrise Sunset effect using my LED track lighting. I'm getting
sloser with some Items I've found on Ebay, but still no definitive answer. Again if anyone knows how
to accomplish this please let me know.

Here is the controller I've found that is closests to what I want.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-product-12V-24V-12A-3-Channels-Touch-Panel-Multi-function-Controller-/360549516424?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f26d0488

I am trying to accomplish a sunrise/ sunset in real time using these LED strips that is hands free
set on a timmer to dim in/out with changing colors to mimmick Day/Night cycle.

On with the pictures!
I planned just enough wood to get the framing completed.

I started to pre wire the canned lights and out lets. I need more wire though...

post #12 of 28 Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Great work so far. How have you found working with the 2x2s? Did you have much trouble finding straight ones?
post #13 of 28 Old 03-11-2013, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I was sitting at the lumber yard for about 45 minutes going through them to make sure most were straight. Of the ones that weren't straight, I kne I was going to chop up, most of my cut pieces wound up being under 35 inches. So the little bit of arc or curve was not going to matter too much. as far as strength, I'm able to do pull ups any where on the soffit. I'm 6'5" and 210 lbs, so not bad. ^_^
post #14 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

I was able to make some major head way on the soffit this weekend. IE. my weekend Wed-Fri.

It started out with the purchasing of my drywall and a few more electrical supplies.

Yup I have a 5 speed Mercury Cougar with a hitch I had installed to pull my 4x6 trailer, to which I use for my Hot Air Balloon Hobby/Business. ^_^

I put togeather the first junction box and sealed her off as the wire is now HOT. I still need to wire 2 more switches from the lower wall
before I seal all this up. one for the Soffit canned lights, and the other for the LED light strip.

Junction box number 2 set up for the outlet and bed side wall sconces.

Dimmer switch installed and ready to go. I will remove the wall plate for paint. I will not install the Sconce until the walls are painted.

Just to show what we decided on for the bed side sconce

There was enough slack in my HVAC that I was able to just pull it down 10 inches and remount it on the frame. I will sitll need to go
back and seal up the hole to the attic from where the register once was.

Gabriel was Happy to help out today =P

I plan to start doing some drywall today, but I have to find a friend to help with the longer pieces that I'll
have to lift over my head. ~_^
post #15 of 28 Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Just some drywalling. I had a few hours to work yesterday. I've cut the peices to size and they are small
enough that I can pre set a few screws, lift the board over my head, hold in place with one hand, and drill
with the other. I little tiresome, but I'm moving right along. =P

post #16 of 28 Old 03-30-2013, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

No pics yet, nothing really note worthy, I just worked on electrical this weekend and tried to get my dimmers all set up. 1 of the 3
i purchased was defective. No real lose, I was able to return it. The dimmer was discontuned so I picked up 3 1000W rotary dimmers
for 15 bucks. Not bad, but one did not work =/. Hopfully I can finish up the drywall this week, it's tough having a little one who is
starting to crawl. I need to be in the garage to cut the drywall and I can't leave him by him self for too long ^_^
post #17 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Wow what a busy month its been!
I've been working a lot on my Hot Air Balloon rebuild and in what is left of my free time
I've been able to work a little on the soffet.

I got a package in the mail APR 03. ^_^ Gabriel was happy for the bubble wrap!

Of course I had to try them out.

I started with my big pieces first.

Was a little tricky getting the register to line up, but We got her done right.

Just a few days ago I nearly finished the drywalling, obligations took me away for the
remainder of my time.

Almost ready for Mudding and paint. ^_^
Till next time!
Paul
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #18 of 28 Old 04-23-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

So I finished all of the electrical and I've run into an issue.
I'm running all of my lights on an existing 15 amp Circuit Breaker.
this breaker currently powers the Master Bedroom, Closet, and Master Bath.
which currently has about 5 outlets, a cieling fan/light, closet light, Bathroom GFI,
Bathroom fan, and Bathroom Vanaty light. I'm adding the 2 new outlets, 8 canned lights,
amd 2 wall sconces.

Here's my delema. The dimmer switch controlling the canned lights
has power going to the switch. Verified by an flow detector. However I cannot
get the canned lights to come on. After turning the power on, when I turned
the dimmer on, I heard a pop and the switch smelled of electrical burns... never a good thing.
so I swapped the dimmer out with a normal (mind you used) switch I had laying
around and still nothing... This is my layout. any input would help me out greatly!
Paul

PS the wall sconce set up works as planned and looks fantastic!
post #19 of 28 Old 04-24-2013, 06:28 PM

Liked: 14
Do you have a meter you can use to make sure you're getting power through the swapped out switch? Probably the simplest place to start is testing to make sure the switch works.

I did a few searches and came up with a site that shows some differert wiring configurations. It isn't the best, as I've found others when I had to wire my bonus room that had more options, but was what I could find.

http://www.make-my-own-house.com/light-switch-wiring.html

Good luck.
PaulFSemicolen likes this.

post #20 of 28 Old 04-24-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

silly me. that extra switch I found is a 3-way switch. And I connected both hot wires (The one in and out) to the travelers wire spot and nothing to the Hot terminal. I will have to get another single pole switch to test out my connection from that point. Thanks for the help Dave! smile.gif
post #21 of 28 Old 04-25-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Is it a three-way or a four-way? How to tell the difference: Excluding the ground, if there are three wires, it is a three-way. If there are four wires it is a four way (has nothing to do with the number of switches controlling the circuit.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #22 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

I should update everyone on my build. ^_^ pictures to come soon, but I have figured out the electrical issue! Yay!! At the location of my tie-in to the existing HOT, My wire nut I was using in the junction box was a little too small for 4 14 gauge wires and one wire was not making a good connection. It was very pleasing when everything came on after tracking that lil' guy down. I have a three day weekend to start Mudding and finishing up the drywall. My son is now 15 months old and is into EVERYTHING. and when my wife isn't around to watch him, I really can't get too much done with the remodel. Also now that that the cold and winds have started to come back to the Mid-West, the ballooning season is about over, which will give me a lot more free time. =) I will continue updating this thread from here on out. For my track lighting project, I will have to wait to the end, but I've decided to go the route of using a Rhasberry Pi micro computer and writing my own program to create the effect of the sun rising and setting for my LED strips. It should be fun! smile.gif
post #23 of 28 Old 11-08-2013, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I know this is a bit off topic, but what the heck happened to the hood of your car? Did you come down on it with the balloon or something?
post #24 of 28 Old 11-09-2013, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

lol, I hit an 8-10 point buck in Iowa after an 8 hour drive to the National Balloon Classic. I was 15 minutes out, driving through some fog at 30 mph.... And he didn't even die!!! I got a replacement head lamp the following year for my birthday. ^_^ I have the worst luck with cars... if the car was red, it would have been totalled for sure. lol.
post #25 of 28 Old 11-09-2013, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If your right about you luck with cars, be glad it wasn't red, other wise you prolly would've attracted a BULL instead of a buck LOL
post #26 of 28 Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

We have working lights!!!!! I also started mudding up the soffit! I think I'm going to stick with the stucko look on the bottom side of the soffit. The whole house is finished this way, so why not. Plus I'm not the greatest at mudding, I figured this would hide some of my mistakes. The Green blanket was put up because the blinds have dry-rotted after 10 years of staying in that spot. I planned on replacing those with the 2 Inch white wood blinds that are in Gabriel's room.

More mudding this weekend, and hopfully painting!
post #27 of 28 Old 11-15-2013, 09:04 AM

I love soffits! We just finished a room for my son and put some around his room too (now the other kids want them). frown.gif

Yours look great. If I didn't have a sloped ceiling I'd put them in my master bdrm. too.

Nice job!

Night Sky Murals

FaceBook

post #28 of 28 Old 03-24-2014, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Funny how time gets away from you! I've made some good head way on the soffet build this weekend. I textured the lower ceiling and got the room cleaned up. Next weekend I'll finish the rest of my seems and hopefully prime the walls and soffet for paint. It's amazing how junk can clutter and occur even when a room is cleaned regularly. Found a few socks that had evaded the laundry bin some time ago ^_^

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page