Connecting JBL Pro Cinema Loudspeakers to a Home Theater Receiver - Good Idea? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-21-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I am a frequent reader of AVS Forum but this is my first post so go easy on me. I am working on a dedicated media/home theater room and wanted to get some feedback on what I’m planning. The room is 17 feet wide, 15 feet deep, and 8-1/2 feet tall. I will probably be able to sit around 10-12 feet from the L/C/R speakers in front. I will probably be using a flat panel television in this room instead of a projector for the time being so the speakers will not be behind a screen. I was planning on using JBL pro cinema loudspeakers for a 5.1 system (JBL 3677s for L/C/R and JBL 8320s for surrounds). The subwoofer will be a JL Audio F112. I would like to use a Denon AVR-2809CI home theater receiver for this project without any external power amplifiers. This brings me to my questions..

1.The JBL 3677s have a power capacity of 250 watts, 8 ohms. The JBL 8320s have a continuous power capacity of 150 watts, 8 ohms. The Denon AVR-2809CI handles 115 watts/channel into 8 ohms. Can anyone think of a reason why this receiver/speaker pairing would not work? Are there issues with not having the amplifier power match the power capacity of the speakers it is driving? I have listened to an AVR-2809CI powering some older Beovox S45s which I believe are rated for around 45-75 watts. I was relatively satisfied with how these sounded and how loud I was able to listen to them without hearing distortion and that is why I was thinking that 115 watts/channel should be more than adequate for me even though the JBL 3677s are rated for more than twice that. Yes, I could probably go with smaller speakers, I just really want to use JBL pro gear here if at all possible. I know under powering speakers is one of the worst things you can do and that is why I wanted to ask the question. I just don’t think I will ever need to turn the volume up so loud to require more than 115 watts/channel. That said, I also don’t want to burn up the AVR-2809CI or run into distortion problems and damage the 3677s.

2.If I were to connect external power amplifiers to the pre-outs on a Denon AVR-2809CI, would the Audyssey Multi EQ XT processing be applied to speakers connected through these external power amplifiers? Has anyone tried this?

3.Any general thoughts/concerns with using the speakers I mentioned in the space I have? Does the 10-12 foot seating distance from the JBL 3677s raise any concerns? Does not having the 3677s behind a screen raise any concerns? Any substantial benefit to using JBL 3678s instead of 3677s?

Any comments/feedback are much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

Theater42
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-21-2012, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
so I had to look (since you didn't include in your post) your projected front channel speakers are 99dB sensitivity, the surrounds are 91 dB sensitivity, both relatively efficient 8 ohm designs. Assuming no big dips in the impedence curve, I would think a Denon receiver would be able run these at more than comfortable levels in a room your size, just use some sense with the volume control, if it starts sounding distorted, turn it down.
I'm sure there are plenty of more seasoned and opinioned viewers that have suggestions aplenty, but as long as you run the system with a sober hand you should be fine.

underachiever extraordinaire
post #3 of 3 Old 09-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You will be fine with the receiver. There are a lot of members here who use the JBL pro stuff and power them with receivers. They are very efficient speakers. Here is one example of a member using 4722's and a Denon receiver:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1175656/nyts-theater-game-room-build/0_100

War Eagle!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page