6000 cuft HT (27L x 22W x 10H) BassTrap Question - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Dennis, that shouldn't be a deal-breaker, should it? It will complicate the process, but not limit the potential, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 03:04 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
rms8,

Some good advice.

I'm somewhat unclear as to your amplification scheme.

However, if you really want to fully take advantage of the multiple positioning of the subs for response smoothing, you'd benefit greatly having individual phase (and amplification) control for each quadrant of the subwoofer system. As much individual phase manipulation as you can get will really help facilitate a nice final result. I say acoustic quadrants because it's my experience that if one can drive each side of a mid-point axially in any one room dimension, and then maintain full phase manipulation per quad, then the subsequent result seems more likely to be smooth.

Amplification is relatively inexpensive, even a good 8x8 processor, would seem reasonable in this situation. I like Sabine, Xilica. Audyessy, otoh, seems a bit unpredictable for me, but what do I know, ...I've never used it. I've seen before and after graphs with odd, unpredictable results. I've seen huge amounts of Linkwitz Transform boosting below the knee, entirely unwarranted in some situations.

I would agree with the advice stating you need one unified point of control. The gui for the Sabine/Xilica is wonderful, and you can get full sized XLR connectors on the back panel.

I've no experience with the miniDSP, but it's been quite well received.

Good luck

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

I want to add.

I've seen fantastic results with Audyssey as well.

If you want to use the Denon Audyssey in two discretly controlled/manipulated outputs, and two amp circuits, I have seen very good results in multisub scenarios. Individual control is a luxury and perhaps the results would be ok with the two output Audyssey config, I don't know.

A lot of enthusiasts rave about it. In your situation though, with the permanently mounted IB drives, I'd want as much individual control as possible.

Good luck

Old 09-29-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

I like Sabine, Xilica.

I don't know which of their products would be what I should look at.

Are they similar to the Behringer FBD ?

## DIY Rustic ConcreteBunker HT Build w/8 x 18" IB subs & 25KW ##

Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Elite Screens 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Buttkicker BKA-1000(3x) | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
Supercharged 10 second II
Old 09-30-2012, 10:12 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post

I don't know which of their products would be what I should look at.
Are they similar to the Behringer FBD ?

They're nothing at all like the Behringer FBD.

Check out this overview page, then check out this link detailing each model of interest. On the second link you can download and explore the GUI. As far as user interfaces go, the Gui is simply wonderful. You can download it and mess around and clearly see how a unified approach these Navigators are.

I searched around for a method to properly blend and optimize my multi-sub, system re-tool that I'm in th middle of currently. I'm blending three current subs (a quad 18 IB, two dual opposed 15s) and I'll very likely add a tactile transducer totalling four outputs for now. Depending on the finalized response, it's possible I may need more sources for additional smoothing (not for added output eek.gif ) I haven't purchased mine yet, as I just this past week got my subs and mains up and running using my current signal processing tools.

If you're not interested in running your mains through the processor, then the smaller 240, or 360 may be well suited for your needs. I've not examined the smaller models that close, but as far as I know they'd serve the purpose quite well. You can have global EQ on the input side, individual manipulation in the time and frequency domain on each output, and with the right measurment tools, you should be able to get a nice, workable end product.

Here's a Nav360. I don't know anything about pricing. I'd think the 240 would suit you also, but again i've not really examined the low I/O count processors offered.

Also, there's a vast assortment of processors like this Navigator line. MiniDSP kinda being the new kid on the block, really somewhat geared toward the diy crowd. I've not explored the gui of miniDSP, it may be just fine. It does have parametric/shelving down to 10hz, IIRC. That may, or may not be of use. The Fi drivers can use a bit of "LT" boost down in that range.

Dennis and SMB offer up some good advice, I do not want to muddy up the waters.

BTW;
What mains loudspeakers will you be utilizing?

Best of luck

Old 09-30-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

THANKS FOH for all the great links! I'll be sure to look into these!!!

Unless something changes, I'll be using my Phase Tech and Niles speakers :

Front L/R = Phase Technology PC-500
Front C = Phase Tech PC-3
Side Surround =Niles Stage Front Pro770FX
Rear Surrounds = Phase Tech PC-Surround
Wide Chnl = Niles PHD42
Height Chnl = Polk M3

Denon AVR-4520 11.2 | Sony VPL-HW55ES | Elite Screens 11' screen | Sanway FP-14000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350 | Buttkicker BKA-1000(3x) | Behringer iNuke NU1000DSP | GR Research LS-9 + LS-C | 8x IB318's | Buttkicker Original(2x), LFE(2x), MiniLFE(8x) | MinDSP 2x4 | 21'W x 27'L x 10'H | MiniSplit
Old 10-01-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

They're nothing at all like the Behringer FBD.
Check out this overview page, then check out this link detailing each model of interest. On the second link you can download and explore the GUI. As far as user interfaces go, the Gui is simply wonderful. You can download it and mess around and clearly see how a unified approach these Navigators are.
I searched around for a method to properly blend and optimize my multi-sub, system re-tool that I'm in th middle of currently. I'm blending three current subs (a quad 18 IB, two dual opposed 15s) and I'll very likely add a tactile transducer totalling four outputs for now. Depending on the finalized response, it's possible I may need more sources for additional smoothing (not for added output eek.gif ) I haven't purchased mine yet, as I just this past week got my subs and mains up and running using my current signal processing tools.
If you're not interested in running your mains through the processor, then the smaller 240, or 360 may be well suited for your needs. I've not examined the smaller models that close, but as far as I know they'd serve the purpose quite well. You can have global EQ on the input side, individual manipulation in the time and frequency domain on each output, and with the right measurment tools, you should be able to get a nice, workable end product.
Here's a Nav360. I don't know anything about pricing. I'd think the 240 would suit you also, but again i've not really examined the low I/O count processors offered.
Also, there's a vast assortment of processors like this Navigator line. MiniDSP kinda being the new kid on the block, really somewhat geared toward the diy crowd. I've not explored the gui of miniDSP, it may be just fine. It does have parametric/shelving down to 10hz, IIRC. That may, or may not be of use. The Fi drivers can use a bit of "LT" boost down in that range.
Dennis and SMB offer up some good advice, I do not want to muddy up the waters.
BTW;
What mains loudspeakers will you be utilizing?
Best of luck

I looked into those devices. Pretty darn powerful, but also pretty darn pricey. Looks like they could correct pretty much any anomaly you might run into. I think I'll try a miniDSP first given their low cost, but rest knowing there IS a solution.

Thanks FOH!