Landsman's Theater and Reef Tank Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-24-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone, I have been looking at this forum for at least the past 4 years or so. I am from Baltimore MD and first decided to put a home theater in my basement fresh out of college. Needless to say that Big 4 publie accounting and the CPA exam required a little more of my time than I imagined..who would have thought?! Anyway I first wanted to thank everyone on this forum you guys are AMAZING. I have gained priceless knowledge of the correct way to do things, ideas I would have never thought of (for one filling a stage with sand...what a pain in the neck and well worth it) and countless other items. I was able to save a ton of money because of the knowledge gained on this site!

So on to my theater. First things first I finished about 700 Sq feet in my basement including an extra bedroom and full bath. I did all of the work myself including the electrical wiring of my basement, installing the bathroom all plumbing for bathroom, framing, wood floors, painting etc. I did sub out my drywall and carpet because well I did not want to learn drywall or carpet. If anyone has any questions on any of these things just let me know as I did lots of research and can help anyone embarking on their own build. When I first moved into my house I had a very large open basement and knew that I wanted a in wall reef tank (another hobby). So the planning began. My theater ended up being the one side of my basement when you come down the stairs. The right side of the basement has the reef tank in wall, and a bar area. I am still in progress of deciding if I want to build in a wet bar or get a free standing bar. I put the plumbing in the wall but haven’t decided whether a wet bar would add any value to the house yet. Some of the facts about my theater are below let me know what you guys think. The only thing I have left to do is build my frame for my screen and order my last 3 seats and projector this week.

I also decided to add two funny pictures below, one was when I decided my buddies and I could use my basement to paint our Halloween costumes (Green army men) and the other was my Christmas party in which we created a game involving air soft guns and a can hung from a string in the basement haha. Enjoy!

Theater : 12 feet wide 19 feet long 8 foot ceilings
Speakers: Klipsch HD 1000 Speakers and Sub (for now), had to make speaker boxes in the back of the theater gigantic to hide my breaker box.
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR608 7.2-Channel 3-D Ready Home Theater Receiver
Screen: 105" MaxxMud V.2 LL Mix Rolled on, thanks a ton for this paint mixture!
Projector: Optoma HD33
Seats: 7 Lane Matinee seats manual recline
Reef tank: 90 Gallon reef ready, 55 gallon sump, 250W Metal Halides, dedicated fish room (8'x6' with utility sink)
Component storage: In wall shelves built by me with a giant granite counter to separate the bar area from the theater area

And here are some pictures, give me some feedback and ideas! Thanks again everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 9 Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 AM

Room is looking good, I love the reef tank, I would love to have one some day.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-24-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, as soon as I get the last few seats and projector ordered this week I am going to start stocking the fish tank.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Got my seats and projector in finally all done! Heres how it ended up looking:

post #6 of 9 Old 10-08-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

What was your time frame on builing this? And estimated building cost, just materials

post #7 of 9 Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

well my time frame was a little all over the place lol. I built the fish tank room a long time ago with the intention of finishing the rest of the basement shortly after, ended up spending way more time at work than expected. It ended up taking me about 2 years but I could have easily gotten it done in about 4 to 6 months if I didnt have to save as much and if I had weekends free to work on the project. As far as budget I really didnt have one I just kind of picked up what I needed when I needed it. Id say for the total 750 Sq feet with bath and extra bedroom I spent close to about $9000 or so on material. Most expensive things were carpet, laminate flooring, shower, toilet, granite. I did get a few things online much cheaper, I got my granite 8' x 3' used for $375 and I got my one piece fiberglass shower for $150 on craigslist (had a chip in the corner you can not even see now because its behind the drywall). They both saved me a ton. Seating, speakers, screen, projector and receiver cost me about another $5k so all in Im around $15k but that is a very rough estimate.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-09-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Liked: 12
Nice room, it's nice to see another reef tank included in a theater build!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page