3 rows, w/bar and wet bar, theater build. (lotsamount of pics) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After a lot of research I've decided to begin the theater project in the basement. It's not as big as most of the builds on here, but I managed to squeeze 3 rows of seating. Let me know what you think and please give me some more ideas. My creative juices are running a bit low!

It's a work in progress, but I need help!
I need help deciding on what to do with the bar / carpeting. I've tossed the idea of stone and then tiling..but those 2 45 degree cuts are making me hesitant.

Risers and Platforms:
  • All are 5/8 OSB on top glued to the joist. Debating on doubling it up as it feels quite solid now.
  • There's also a fair amount of insulation between the joist with room on the bottom for air to pass-through if I decide to make the 2nd row a base trap.
  • 2nd row is 2x10 rims with 2x8 joists on hangers.
  • 3" Mini riser on the 2nd row to give a grant total of 13-5/8" lift.
  • 3rd row is all 2x6 to help see over the massive front. I re-did the bar in 2x6 as it felt a heck of a lot sturdier.

Audio / Video
  • 7.1 HSU HIW-1 in walls with VTF-3 Mk4 Subwoofer
  • Epson 8350 Home Cinema Projector
  • 110" Acoustically transparent screen from Seymour w/ Jame's frame
  • Still looking for a decent receiver. Right now I'm on an old Onkyo that supports 7.1. It works...

The entire build uses 5/8 sheetrock. The room was built 1-1/2" off the exterior walls to help separate the vibrations. So far this is holding up pretty well. The only noise loss I have is in the ceiling, which I plan to put some GG and 2x 5/8 drywall between the joist.

Now for the build...
The design plans for this half the basement included 3 rows and a wet bar off to the side.

Marked out an estimate of how big of a screen I could fit comfortably without sacrificing the viewing angle.

This was a must. My entire house runs out of this rack. I have thin clients in all of my rooms with MythTV and XBMC frontends. HDMI matrix allows me to watch whatever I want where I want however many times I want :-)

The colors are about to change, I decided on going with a lighter gray and a darker blue as you may notice in the pictures further down.

My girlfriend took her time painting the fascias and the grill of the HIW-1's only to have to re-paint them after we changed colors..oops :-)

LCR behind the acoustically transparent screen

The bar is almost 9 ft in length. It spans 2ft wide. I had 5/8's MDF with a 2x2x1/4 steel square pipe installed to help support the overall weight of the granite we plan to put down. The steel bar eliminated the need to carry load through hangers that you typically slap your knees on.

Went with a coffer drop ceiling. I always end up needed to go back into the ceiling regardless of how much prep I do. Plus I plan on putting up a deck outback and I'll need to run carriage bolts through the joist.

Screen is in and stretched! Wasnt too bad - especially for doing it my self.

This is the crap the that originally there. Ridiculously done. Now it's purdy!

These were left over switches just to get the lights up and going. I have a full set of INSTEON dimmers on their way. That should pair up nicely with my home automation virtual machine / project I currently have going.

Installed some deflectors in the ceiling for the HVAC. They blend quite well with the smoke detector and the LED recessed trims.

We went ahead and brought the 2nd row chairs down. I needed to ensure the fit would work. And there was a Ravens game on...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

I absolutely love the wall wash effect the LED trims give.

The paint splash on the back is what we're thinking of painting. It's much darker and should absorb a lot more light.

These are possible stone tiles for the 3rd row. We're very undecided here and I'm not so sure its even possible to cut these on a 45 degree angle. Looks like a PITA. Suggestions?

This is the proposed wet bar area. It's about 8ft wide, should be plenty for some cabinets, mini fridge and probably a keggerator. :-P

Didnt really have pics of the mount, but here it is. I mounted it a 2x6 standing on 2x4's which are drilled into the joists. I shouldnt have to worry about this coming down.

Proposed grantie for the 3rd row. I love the blue sparkles it has. Suggestions?

Added a 3" mini riser to bring the seats up just a little bit more. Sitting at 13-14" - I forgot.

Decided to add a lip after the fact, ripped some 2x4's in half and secured with 4" decking screws.

Standard step, it works...even has a matching lip!

Pergo finished, in a few days now. Just in time for Thanksgiving!

Painted the back wall black, painted the HIW's to match

CARPET IS IN!

Had to put the chairs down

Finished the roof, finally. Sprinkler system completely dropped for the ceiling. Not too bad.

-- Update 05/14 --
Finally finished off the wetbar!

post #3 of 35 Old 09-26-2012, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved for more pics!!!
post #4 of 35 Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 PM

Liked: 21
The build looks great! I would suggest laying some insulation above the drop ceiling. Standard loft/attic insulation will work great, especially if it is as thick as possible. This can help tame out some acoustic issues inside the space, as well as helping with transmission (and of course, heating/cooling as well).

Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics
post #5 of 35 Old 09-27-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIK Acoustics View Post

The build looks great! I would suggest laying some insulation above the drop ceiling. Standard loft/attic insulation will work great, especially if it is as thick as possible. This can help tame out some acoustic issues inside the space, as well as helping with transmission (and of course, heating/cooling as well).

Great idea, I have some left over r13 but I'll have to go get some r30 for the ceiling.

One problem I'm having right now is the projector mount vibrates when people walk on the floor above it. There's a lot of bounce on the floor and I'm trying to figure out how to eliminate that.
post #6 of 35 Old 09-28-2012, 05:32 AM

fleixius

The theater is coming along! I like the blue color you chose for the walls, not something you typically see here (Nice!).

I was looking at your pictures of the bar and wanted to know if you could explain a litlle more on the construction. I am also planning a bar area and would like to avoid a mid support if possitble.
post #7 of 35 Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexMan View Post

fleixius
The theater is coming along! I like the blue color you chose for the walls, not something you typically see here (Nice!).
I was looking at your pictures of the bar and wanted to know if you could explain a litlle more on the construction. I am also planning a bar area and would like to avoid a mid support if possitble.

Hey Lex,

Thanks for the compliment about the colors, we have had a large battle between the colors of the theater. Finally getting it settled.

About the bar construction, its 2x6 construction wall the way through. I used carriage bolts to connect the bar wall to the riser. Then the entire bar was lagged into the wall to ensure it would hold the weight when pressed on, etc. The bar top was 5/8th MDF on top of the 2x6 and square steel tubing. The square steel spans the entire length of the bar to ensure the weight of the counter top was carried without the need for center supports. (I hate banging my knees on those damn thngs)

Let me see if I can get you some pictures...
post #8 of 35 Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 AM

Liked: 20
Everything looks great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleixius View Post

Proposed grantie for the 3rd row. I love the blue sparkles it has. Suggestions?

We have something similar in our kitchen and we love it, reflects different colors depending on the light hitting it. Looks really nice.

What type of floor is above the HT room? If it's hardwood, you may want to think about adding mass to the underside (ie. strips of drywall) to help dampen foot traffic. Taking down all those tiles would be a PITA, but you'll have to decide if you're getting enough sound isolation. Adding insulation as suggested above is probably a good idea too.

Would you mind sharing the room dimensions and ceiling height? I'm thinking of doing something similar but our ceilings are only 7ft.

Keep up the good work!

XBL: Drunkn Joker
post #9 of 35 Old 10-08-2012, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggrich76 View Post

Everything looks great!
We have something similar in our kitchen and we love it, reflects different colors depending on the light hitting it. Looks really nice.
What type of floor is above the HT room? If it's hardwood, you may want to think about adding mass to the underside (ie. strips of drywall) to help dampen foot traffic. Taking down all those tiles would be a PITA, but you'll have to decide if you're getting enough sound isolation. Adding insulation as suggested above is probably a good idea too.
Would you mind sharing the room dimensions and ceiling height? I'm thinking of doing something similar but our ceilings are only 7ft.
Keep up the good work!

It's hardwood and in the kitchen. Fortunately, it's just me and the laddie that live here. I've given it a lot of thought about sandwiching some drywall up there, but so far the drop ceiling is holding up well. One thing I have noticed is vibrations in the projector mount. I'll have to work something out there.

Dimensions:
Roughly 14x30 down to 11ft in the smallest area by the screen. The ceiling was about an inch or 2 shy of 8ft, so drop another 3-3/4" for the drop ceiling and that's about it. So I'd say 7-1/2 ft.
post #10 of 35 Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any suggestions on what colors/what material to do the bar in? I'm debating tile vs a nice paint job. Any ideas?
post #11 of 35 Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
OC 703 3-4" or equivalent between the studs with both sides of the stud wall finished in acoustically transparent cloth. Might as well turn it into an effective acoustic component. Good for cutting down close reflections behind the rear row heads, and not shabby as a bass trap either.

post #12 of 35 Old 10-20-2012, 09:22 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post

OC 703 3-4" or equivalent between the studs with both sides of the stud wall finished in acoustically transparent cloth. Might as well turn it into an effective acoustic component. Good for cutting down close reflections behind the rear row heads, and not shabby as a bass trap either.

True, but you are then completely getting rid of the isolation the wall assembly provides...not to mention the fire marshall doesn't like cloth walls

Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics
post #13 of 35 Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Are those Palliser Bullets? Man the leds in those things put out some light!
post #14 of 35 Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by me23 View Post

Are those Palliser Bullets? Man the leds in those things put out some light!

They absolutely put out some light, I'm hoping the carpet will diffuse some of the reflections. These are Seatcraft seats, I forgot which model. I'll have to double check but it may be the sienna.
post #15 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Finished the risers. I ended up wanted a little more lift out of my back row so I did a mini 3" riser. Total rise is about 14" Also ended up ripping some 2x4's for a lip around the riser. Looks great!

Oh yeah, windows, paint, ceiling, pergo finished. Carpet next week! Pics added to the first post!
post #16 of 35 Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looking good man! Where did you you get the screen frame?
post #17 of 35 Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Looking very nice!

How do you like the Hsu In-walls?

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #18 of 35 Old 11-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking awesome! Nice handwriting on the drawings and its great that your girlfriend supports and contributes to the theater build. Good luck!
post #19 of 35 Old 11-18-2012, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Looking very nice!
How do you like the Hsu In-walls?

They are extremely sensitive, which makes them appear louder than they actually are. My receiver is only 80 watts per channel while the speakers support 200 watts. I don't think I'll have to amplify any where near that. Also, I set the cross-overs down to 60hz and the low's are excellent. I'd definitely buy them again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragged View Post

Looking good man! Where did you you get the screen frame?

The frame was designed by James. http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com He's now working with Seymour, which will save you on shipping and tilting /cutting the screen material. You'll of course have to assemble and stretch, but that took all of an hour to do. Great price too. I was just over 500 shipped for 110" with a Seymour AT screen. Definitely will order from him again.
post #20 of 35 Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Your space is looking great so far!
post #21 of 35 Old 11-18-2012, 01:32 PM

Liked: 12
Very cool space. And another in-wall speaker design! I need to go look into the HIW-1's you bought. Looking very cool!
post #22 of 35 Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Just got carpet put in and finally decided on some faux stone for the bar area. Just need to get it ordered and shipped here! Pics soon!
post #23 of 35 Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleixius View Post

Just got carpet put in and finally decided on some faux stone for the bar area. Just need to get it ordered and shipped here! Pics soon!

Pics in 2nd post!
post #24 of 35 Old 12-04-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice build! I don't know why I'm just seeing this for the first time, but your making solid progress. You asked:
Quote:
These are possible stone tiles for the 3rd row. We're very undecided here and I'm not so sure its even possible to cut these on a 45 degree angle. Looks like a PITA. Suggestions?

Check out my build thread. I installed stone veneer on the front of my bar. It has 2 angles that are 45 and I found a way to cut the stone so that the cuts look invisible.

CJ

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #25 of 35 Old 12-05-2012, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Nice build! I don't know why I'm just seeing this for the first time, but your making solid progress. You asked:
Check out my build thread. I installed stone veneer on the front of my bar. It has 2 angles that are 45 and I found a way to cut the stone so that the cuts look invisible.
CJ

Checking it now, did you cut with a chop saw?
post #26 of 35 Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope. I used a wet saw, but one with the blade above the item you are trying to cut. Photos in my thread.

Follow my build here: Harvest Ridge Theater
post #27 of 35 Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM

Can't wait to see the finished product. Its looking great so far. I put in a theatre room 2 years ago and also went with the Epson 8350 and the HIW-1's. Very happy with the picture quality of the Epson and the sound from the HIW-1s. If I make any sort of upgrade it will be the receiver because the speakers can handle more power than what I am throwing at them. My only complaint about the epson is that every couple of months I will get a green dust blob on the screen. Need to take out the lamp assembly and blow some compressed air. That usually does it. Getting ready to do a theatre room for my brother-in-law and I am gonna do pretty much the same thing.
post #28 of 35 Old 01-20-2013, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Nice Job so far. I really like the color scheme..
post #29 of 35 Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezwhitey View Post

Can't wait to see the finished product. Its looking great so far. I put in a theatre room 2 years ago and also went with the Epson 8350 and the HIW-1's. Very happy with the picture quality of the Epson and the sound from the HIW-1s. If I make any sort of upgrade it will be the receiver because the speakers can handle more power than what I am throwing at them. My only complaint about the epson is that every couple of months I will get a green dust blob on the screen. Need to take out the lamp assembly and blow some compressed air. That usually does it. Getting ready to do a theatre room for my brother-in-law and I am gonna do pretty much the same thing.

It's coming together. We have the bar countertop and tile coming in within the next week or so. Waiting to take delivery of the tiles. HIW-1's are definitely great speakers. I'm only pushing about 75 watts per channel at the moment. I have no worry about blowing the speakers at max volume on the receiver. Still sound great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGIANTSFAN23 View Post

Nice Job so far. I really like the color scheme..

Thanks, yeah we didn't see many theaters in blue, loved the colors. Wait til you see the bar when its finished. Going to be great!

Just finished doing some of the molding, waiting on the tile guy obviously. Afterwards I'll be ready to show'er off!
post #30 of 35 Old 02-07-2013, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Finished the sprinkler heads, painted behind the screen black. Love the look much more.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page