AVS Forum banner

Will my HT plan work???

370 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jasonsmithpharmd 
#1 ·
Hello, I need to tap into some of the experience on this site. I know this is a dedicated theater forum. Although my room is not dedicated I posted on this forum because I was hoping to get some feedback from the Dedicated theater people. A similar post with other topics is in the game room/HT forum.

I have had the past year to plan my basement project. Should be able to start in a month or two but now I am doubting my design. I am hoping for some feedback. I want this to simply be a fun room to hang out and entertain friends and family. I want to make the most of what I have on a small budget.

Equipment (So you know what I am working with, not purchased yet but I dont have a sky is the limit budget)

Saymour AV AT DIY 16:9 120 Inch screen ($400-600)

Epson Powerlite 3010 ($1500)

Denon 5.1 ($350-450) - No left wall so 5.1 is really the limit I think

Polk TSI 300 (I have two just need to buy the third for the center $180)

Polk TSI 200 Rears $220/pair (havent found the exact mounting solution yet)

Sub Polk

HDMI 4x4 matrix ($300-400)

Displays Projector and 3 Flat screens (behind bar, Weight room, Bed room)

IR/Controller system not yet identified

Content: BR and Mostly HD cable, Some streaming HD content

Seperate Sterio Receiver with speaker selecter for additional audio zones(wt room, bed room, pool table, bar)

Here is that plan that I hope to execute
BasementPlan.pdf 514k .pdf file

Will the HT as designed work. The plan is to have a false wall with a 120 inch 16:9 DIY AT screen(14 inches for speakers). Distance from eyes to screen is estimated to be 9.6 ft. Viewing angle 48.9 degrees. Is this too close for a AT screen. Should I scrap the false wall and use a traditional screen? If so does anyone have a solution to the close proximity of the sidewalls for speaker placement? Would mounting all speakers above the screen be effective?

Image of viewing angle and viewing distance, I understand that this is up close and personal but I have stood equally close to my TV and I think I like the size.
Viewingangle,distance.pdf 418k .pdf file'

As designed I have the projector back as far as possible for my room, throw ratio is 1.58. The powerlite throw ratio 1.32-2.15, so I may move the pojector up to 11.5 ft from screen and raise screen up as high as possible so it will be easier to walk in front of the screen(must pass screen to get to bathroom... which im not thrilled of). Any limitations to using low end of throw ratio and placing the screen as high as the projection angle allows?
PJ,Viewingangles.pdf 349k .pdf file
3D VIEW of HT.pdf 506k .pdf file
ScreenwallDimensions.pdf 443k .pdf file

Thank you for your thoughts

Ctrl+Shift+minus rotate counter clockwise (the orientation of the pdf files is off)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Sadly I am starting to admit it wont work, I knew that inside ten feet may show the micro perforations, but I did not want to give up on my design. I dont want to risk not being happy. If I ditch the false wall I would be at 10.75 ft eyes to screen, projecting on a non AT screen. I think I Can I be confident that this will be ok on a non AT screen, viewing angle will be 44 deg.

I would need to work out a solution for speaker placement with the walls so close to ends of screen. Thinking of mounting L, C, R all bookshelfs above the screen tilted down toward the seating.

Also is there any issue projecting onto a screen with walls so tight on both sides, about 20 inches from edge of screen to walls.

As far as the projector height above screen. I would love to raise the screen(could always lower the projector a little if needed). Not sure If I need to consider anything besides making the beams of light having a clear path to the screen. The room goes from 9 ft ceilings to 8 ft ceilings right before the projector(not sure what the final ceiling hight will be room is still unfinished). Does the light need to clear the 8 ft ceiling by a minimum amount of distance, or am I good as long as the light is not blocked. The higher the screen and the closer the projector the better for me as I will need to walk in front of the screen to get to the bathroom. This way I figure less picture will be blocked.

Any thoughts

#7 ·
I'm about 9' eyeballs to screen in the front row. I tried a 2' square sample piece of the Seymour AT fabric and could just start to see the weave at 8' on bright uniform scenes (my vision isn't that great). I still plan to do a Seymour screen since the advantages of AT will outweigh occasionally seeing the weave in my situation.

9' distance is great on my 46" tall screen with a JVC RS2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.