Dry Lake Cinema - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, where do I start.. I began a build thread here under the Theater/Game Room build thread a few years ago (01/09/09) the assistance and opinions of the people on this great forum was unbelievable. Not too mention the sense of humor to help alleviate stressful times. Well after three years of enjoying our theater/game room/bar my wife and I decided to sell our home and purchase something a little closer into town and on the lake. We found a home we loved, and the owner (an investor) was willing to do a trade with us, his only condition was he wanted to go ahead and list our home to help speed the process of him selling it. So a few weeks ago, our home was listed on a Friday night, and by Saturday evening we had an accepted offer. I'd like to think my stellar basement planning and theater design made the house sell so quickly. smile.gif Honestly we just got really lucky and the right people found us at the right time.

So moving ahead, I haven't honestly even thought about the new theater in the new home. The nice thing is that there is a dedicated theater room in the new home, and there is even a seating riser in place. The builder ran some cable, but I'm not real thrilled with the quality or location of the cables so I'm thinking I'll just rewire everything. The room is finished though and I'm hoping the floor joists in the ceiling are running the right way, if not I may rethink rewiring.

At this point this thread is a place holder for now. Where I'll bounce idea's off of you guys (and gals) and see how it goes. It's been a long time since I've looked at hardware, room layout, screen placement, furniture, etc. Honestly acoustics were never a concern for me in the past as the current theater was really more of a sports bar set up. However, the new theater is separate from the bar and will be a true dedicated theater room.

I have taken some pic's and I'll include those in a moment. Next time I'm at the house I'll map out the room and translate it to Visio, then post the details here.

First Picture, the inspiration for the thread and theater name.

Potential Future Screen Wall

Screen Wall from opposite corner

Seating Riser

Possible Equipment Room (behind the hidden door bwahahaha)

Bar Area

Another Bar Shot

Place holder for various threads (I bounce between about a dozen devices daily)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/255432/acoustical-treatments-master-thread

http://www.triadspeakers.com/howtobuy/usamapfolder/repslist/hobbs.html

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1377216/bigmouthindc-travels-to-ohio-to-help-build-a-dennis-erskine-designed-space/120

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409425/small-diy-dedicated-theatre-post-build-and-retrospective

Thanks,

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanesamatized - June 29th, 2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What are the dimensions of your new room? It's always hard to tell from empty room photos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Honestly, I haven't measured the room yet. I plan on going back out later this week and mapping the room and translating the dimension to Visio. I'll post a dimension layout once I have it.

Thanks!

Thanks,

Mike

post #4 of 25 Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Ha! Found you, Mike! You can run but you can't hide!

funny-celebrity-pictures-u-mad.jpg

So here you go with yet another build thread! Does this one have phases like the last house? rolleyes.gif

The brick archways look great, and remind me of the cool arches & barrel ceiling in your old place. Of course, no one can see those photos anymore if they go to your old build threads in your signature because almost all of them have been 'de-linked." Sup wit dat, dude?!

Congrats on the new home! That's some fancy lake you've got there! Where are you hiding the water? rolleyes.gif

Obviously great minds think alike. We, too, are in the process of moving to a new place on a lake, although our lake has got this funky wet stuff in the middle of it. Think it's called water or something. It's awesome - you should look into that sometime!

Subscribed ... so be warned!

Stalin205.jpg

post #5 of 25 Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote name="hanesian" Ha! Found you, Mike! You can run but you can't hide!
So here you go with yet another build thread! Does this one have phases like the last house? rolleyes.gif
The brick archways look great, and remind me of the cool arches & barrel ceiling in your old place. Of course, no one can see those photos anymore if they go to your old build threads in your signature because almost all of them have been 'de-linked." Sup wit dat, dude?!
Congrats on the new home! That's some fancy lake you've got there! Where are you hiding the water? rolleyes.gif
Obviously great minds think alike. We, too, are in the process of moving to a new place on a lake, although our lake has got this funky wet stuff in the middle of it. Think it's called water or something. It's awesome - you should look into that sometime!
Subscribed ... so be warned!
quote]

Ok, no phases this time I promise it'll be one contiguous thread. It may be another "never ending build" to honor RTRose and Logan, but it'll be unique in it's own right I'm sure.

Funny you mention the old pictures are all gone, I cleared out Photobucket to make room for pics of the new house. However, to maintain my drive and sense of "I can do it, I can do it, I can do it" I'm bringing a few of the pics back for this thread.

In regads to the Dry Lake... our funky wet stuff hasn't been falling from the puffy white things in the sky for a long time and now my lake is 10' low. I won't even mention the mismanagement by the Army Corps of Engineers.... We did get a couple of good days of rain, and the lake is up 2 feet this week, however, I need another 4' to get my boat in the water and tied to a hopefully floating dock.

So the real reason you pushed through to finish your build is now apparent, you too are moving and had to finish so you could sell !!!!! When are you moving, and where is your new thread?

Here are the pic's Hanes my good and excellent virtual friend has asked for. It was an open game room sports bar setup and as all good AVS'ers do I borrowed inspiration from several threads at the time. Forgive the mess as the basement is 80% packed for the impending move.

Screen wall

Back wall of theater open to game room

Bar

Thanks,

Mike

post #6 of 25 Old 10-04-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
It may be another "never ending build" to honor RTRose and Logan,

You've gone and done it now. I'm watching you right off the bat.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #7 of 25 Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I promise this will be a multi-year effort (based on budget). Starting over with no equipment at all (had to leave everything with the existing home) and a dedicated room this time. I have lot's to learn for this build, like when did the fabric wall panels become so popular? I love the look of the new theater Big is working on, but have no idea how to create the panels. Are they simply wooden frames with GOM covering them, or are they stuffed with acoustic material behind the GOM and then hung on the wall? Is there a good thread on how to build them? I also have a million questions on building a screen wall with acoustic screen and speakers behind the screen. All this and much much more, stay tuned!

Thanks,

Mike

post #8 of 25 Old 10-04-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Great news on the house front, and also very good to hear that there is already a built in theater type of room. As for the never ending build thread Logan and I will pledge our support (and heckling) to you and your thread for good measure. I actually like threads/builds that span YEARS because these things are truly an adventure/journey and what fun is it if the journey is over so fast?

Congrats, and keep us posted.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #9 of 25 Old 10-04-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
This looks like it will be a fun thread to follow! biggrin.gif

That picture of the dock sitting in the dry lake bed is weird, almost eerie. Were there any fish in the lake that ended up flopping around on the bottom?

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #10 of 25 Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Great news on the house front, and also very good to hear that there is already a built in theater type of room. As for the never ending build thread Logan and I will pledge our support (and heckling) to you and your thread for good measure. I actually like threads/builds that span YEARS because these things are truly an adventure/journey and what fun is it if the journey is over so fast?
Congrats, and keep us posted.
Regards,
RTROSE

Thanks RT. I'm a little torn on it having a completed room already. I really wanted to try my hand at decoupling the walls and having a nice acoustic;y sound room. However, that being said, I'm not going to rip out the drywall, carpet, riser, and start from scratch. At least I'm not planning on that at this point, it's too hard for me to justify that cost. Also I don't kid myself, this isn't going to be at the level of a BIG or Dennis build, although don't think I'm not going to use some of their amazing design ideas. I really really love the fabric paneled walls that I'm seeing the dedicated theater spaces now, absolutely beautiful. Since I'm not ripping out drywall I think I might need that little extra touch. I fully intend on this being as much DIY as possible, last time I had time constraints and hired out the work completely. To be fair though, there won't be a lot of DIY since the carpet is in, the riser is built, and even the sconces are wired. We'll see what happens after we move in and I get a chance to sit in the room and just let my mind wander with possibilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaustin View Post

This looks like it will be a fun thread to follow! biggrin.gif
That picture of the dock sitting in the dry lake bed is weird, almost eerie. Were there any fish in the lake that ended up flopping around on the bottom?

aaustin, I may have misnamed my thread, the lake isn't really dry, just the cove the house sits on. However, about 50' down the shoreline docks are floating and boats are in the water. While I would have loved year round access to the water that easily adds another $100k to the price of the house or lot. The other factor for us is most of the lake homes in our price range (on deep water) are very old, small, and out dated. Although we did just get anywhere from 2" to 7" of rain over the lake and the water level rose over 2'. We are hoping it's back to full pool by spring in which case our dock should be floating in about 6' of water. I'll have to add a post for raising and falling water levels and update pictures as the lake fills up (hopefully)!

Thanks,

Mike

post #11 of 25 Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, finally had an opportunity to go back out to the house and measure the theater room.

The room is 11'3" wide by 19' long. The riser is 6' deep and 8" high.

Any suggestions? My current theater is an open design and this just seems really small to me. Plus I've never really worried about dimensions and audio, but I don't want this to sound like a cave either. I think I may have a lot of work ahead of me to 'fix' what someone else thought a theater room should be....

I've been thinking of flipping the room and using the riser as a stage, but then I would have to flip all the prearranged wiring. Although truth be told I'm pretty positive I'll run all new wiring instead of the cheap builders grade that exists now.

Thanks,

Mike

post #12 of 25 Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Help? Advice? Suggestions? My first dedicated theater, not sure where I should focus first, acoustic treatments? Proscenium or not? 11.2 worth it or should I just go with 7.2 or 5.2 given the size of the room? Flip the room use the riser as a stage?

What would you do?

Thanks,

Mike

post #13 of 25 Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
If it was me and I had the resources to do it, I would take out the carpet and do a small stage and false wall in the front. Then I'd do fabric walls with acoustical treatments and get a darker colored carpet. Top it off with an AT screen and a 7.1 or 7.2 system.

I would not flip the room and would reuse the riser, though it may need to be extended to comfortably fit chairs. Generally, 6.5'-7' is recommended.

If you want to do soundproofing then you'll likely have to remove the drywall to install a clip and channel system for decoupling. Then two layers of drywall with Green Glue on that plus all penetrations sealed.

A DIY high school project (now complete and being enjoyed everyday)

post #14 of 25 Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Do you have any specific questions? When I read your posts the first time, i got the impression that you intended to just put speakers, a PJ, a screen, seats, and maybe some treatments and call it good.

I've been saying this a lot lately, but aaustin has the right idea. You first need to decide if you intend to soundproof the room at all. If so, then you're looking at tearing out the DW. Otherwise, I don't know that there's any point any trying any soundproofing. That's not a bad thing, just something you need to make a decision about. There are plenty of theaters with no sound isolation.

Next, I'd start thinking about equipment placement (NOT specific equipment, just placement). How many rows of seats do you plan to have? Again, as aaustin mentioned, the riser is a little short, so if you want recliners you will need to consider making it longer. Do you have a screen size in mind? If you take 80% of your room width, you'd be looking at a 9' screen. If you go 2.35, then you can put your front row at 1.2W, which is 10'-9 1/2". So far so good. Looks like you might be able to squeeze in a false wall with an AT screen so you can hide your speakers behind it. Let's say 2' for the false wall, and we know we need a 7' riser, so that gives us 10' from the front of the riser to the screen. For a 9' screen, and a 10' prime seating position, you'll be sitting a little close. If you like sitting close, then you're golden. If not, then you need to either ditch the AT screen or go with a slightly smaller screen, or make your false wall shorter, or, or, or biggrin.gif You get the idea! Also, that door might limit the number of seats in the front row, but at least it opens in the right direction to not interfere with the riser.

You can use the THX recommendations to decide where the speakers go. Where is your existing speaker wire run? You may have a problem there if it's not in the right spot. Are you thinking in-wall or columns?

And finally, we've got to talk about colors. I know you mentioned that you don't want to pull out the carpet, but light colors in a dedicated theater........... you don't see that so much. There are several reasons, but most here would recommend a dark carpet. Along with that carpet, you'll need to go with darker colors on the walls and the ceiling as well. Even if you're planning fabric panels, it's probably a good idea to paint them a dark color so that they don't show through the fabric.

That's a ballpark first past. Before any specific recommendations can be made, you really need to give us an idea of what your goals are for the room, and just how much are willing to change about the room.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #15 of 25 Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you both aaustin and J_P_A, you are both on target for my very general questions. I do plan on replacing the carpet, but not the drywall. The theater will be in the basement and the bedrooms are on the second floor. Plus all the doors in the house are solid core and the ac duct is flex duct, based on our listening levels in our current theater I don't think we'll have to worry about soundproofing. I would like to do some acoustic treatment, mainly because I haven't done that in my current theater. Also I love the look of the proscenium and stage, I've even been thinking of having the ceiling match the stage shape and depth. I hadn't planned on lengthing the riser, but didn't realize it wasn't long enough. I can see how an extra foot will make a huge difference. I am planning on two rows of seating but that may change since the room is so skinny. While I would love to have theater seats I think a back row of four seats would be really tough to fit. (I haven't measured seating yet so I'm most likely incorrect).

We just got our closing date confirmed today so the next couple of weeks are going to be super busy with packing and arranging all the services required. The costs associated with moving and closing on a new home may have me dreaming of equipment placement for a long time smile.gif Hopefully not, but I'm sure my wife has many other priorities!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the responses and have a lot to think about now.

Thanks,

Mike

post #16 of 25 Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

When you say "theater seats," are you talking about recliners or the seats you find in an actual theater? If it's the latter, then your existing riser is probably plenty deep enough. The 6-1/2' to 7' recommendation is for reclining seats to have enough space to recline.

post #17 of 25 Old 10-09-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Has to be recliners! Our current theater is primarily for watching college football, followed by NFL. We spend a lot of time in the theater on weekend.

Although I may consider a couch for the back row and recliners for the front row as a last resort.

Thanks,

Mike

post #18 of 25 Old 10-14-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was super excited earlier in the week when I found out the people selling us the house had purchased a projector for the theater room and were willing to leave it with the house. New in the box, never used, they just didn't want to install everything. Then he told me that he had paid just under $10k, so I'm thinking sounds like it should be a really nice projector, right?

Well I got the specs today, and I'm a little bummed... It's a Crystal 3D-7000 projector, and a Crystal HY-650 6 piece home theater system. Searched all over AVS and my post is the first one that mentions Crystal....

Ok not so excited anymore... Any thoughts? Ever hear of Crystal Hybrid Dynamics?

Thanks,

Mike

post #19 of 25 Old 10-14-2012, 03:19 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba View Post

I was super excited earlier in the week when I found out the people selling us the house had purchased a projector for the theater room and were willing to leave it with the house. New in the box, never used, they just didn't want to install everything. Then he told me that he had paid just under $10k, so I'm thinking sounds like it should be a really nice projector, right?
Well I got the specs today, and I'm a little bummed... It's a Crystal 3D-7000 projector, and a Crystal HY-650 6 piece home theater system. Searched all over AVS and my post is the first one that mentions Crystal....
Ok not so excited anymore... Any thoughts? Ever hear of Crystal Hybrid Dynamics?

Sorry to hear about that...but at least it is "something". Here is the only thing I could dig up fo new value of the whole system, fyi:
-BRAND NEW CRYSTAL 3D-70000 HOME ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE ( VALUED@ $ 5,995.00 ****3D GLASSES INCLUDED , HDMI , 1080 P ,3D COMPATIBLE)
-72" WHITE MATTE , HIGH DEFINITION 3D-PROJECTOR MOTORIZED SCREEN, CRYSTAL HY-650 @ $ 3,495.00

It could be a great secondary projector to use for an outside inflatable screen for a neighborhood outdoor movie night, but definitely not for your theater, judging by your last setup. Last know sale on eBay is $207 for one with 10 hours on the bulb: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRYSTAL-3D-7000-PROJECTOR-KIDS-ROOM-VIDEO-GAMES-ENTRY-LEVEL-/170901705757?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item27ca89141d&nma=true&si=JC2Rq6u82F0Il6JP9yukZ%2FjQNSU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

post #20 of 25 Old 10-14-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I figured worse case it may be the centerpiece of my next thread 'The Dock Side Theater'. We still love the house, and the dry land dock, is a party dock, meaning the top is a huge deck area, so worst case add an infallible screen and it would be a cool place to watch some family movies.

Love the trombone.... Nice touch Made me laugh!

Thanks,

Mike

post #21 of 25 Old 11-02-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Whoo Hooo, finally closed on the house and moved in. Now the unpacking fun starts, and my wife threw down the gauntlet "no theater dreaming until we are unpacked!"!

Thanks,

Mike

post #22 of 25 Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

So, I take it we should expect pictures of the unpacking process, right? I mean, the way I read it, unpacking is now progress towards your theater being finished biggrin.gif

post #23 of 25 Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
+2 on the unpacking process photos,
We need those photos to start the timer, for elapsed-time to HT mode smile.gif

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my

Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #24 of 25 Old 11-02-2012, 03:18 PM

I to bought a house with a media room already finished. I'm stuck with not being able to sound proof what is aleady there. Just figuring out all the layout and plans now.

My current stress is projector placement for the planned 136" wide 2.35 aspect screen, coupled with a desire for quality 3D in 16:9....on a realistic budget without the projector sitting in the lap of second row viewers.

Looks like you have some nice ceiling height.

Planning is fun though!
post #25 of 25 Old 12-13-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba View Post

Whoo Hooo, finally closed on the house and moved in. Now the unpacking fun starts, and my wife threw down the gauntlet "no theater dreaming until we are unpacked!"!

It has been over a month, how long are you going to use 'unpacking' as an excuse for no progress? tongue.gif

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page