HVAC Help Needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need some advice on the HVAC set-up for my basement HT (30x11x8.5). The room has foundation walls on 3 sides and on average is at 68° in summer and 66° in winter. Below is a link to a YouTube video that might help illustrate what I’m about to ask.

I believe I have three options. The first is to build dead vents both return/send that draws air from adjacent basement room, seconds is to tap into existing HVAC system, third is a combination of the two. Mini-split is not an option due to cost. Regardless of the option I go with they all have the same basic construction within the HT. The rear of the room will be empty except for a poker table. I would like to build a soffit that runs the length of the 11’ wall and place both the flex tubes for the send/return in that soffit and fill with insulation then DD it. Vents will be on opposite ends. In this area it will be out of the way from the rest of the room. Any pros or cons to this? Also once the flex tubing enters the adjoining room which is a unfinished storage area can the tube and fan just be kept exposed? Is building a soffit with insulation around it needed if sound in this room is not a concern?

Now for the options:

1. Dead vents to draw the air from adjacent room- The flex tube here would be about 15’ long and I was thinking of adding the fan 3’ from the adjacent rooms flex tube end. This way the fan is as far as it can be from the vent in the HT. Is this sound construction? Do I need a fan on both the return/send or just the send?

2. Attaching to existing HVAC- Here the construction in the HT would be the same as option 1. Difference is that when the flex tube enters the adjacent room one vent will be tied into main trunk for send and the other to the return trunk. Here I may snake the flex tube a little bit since the main trunks are close to the HT wall where the tubes exit, about 5’. So I’ll probably add 10’ and just snake around and then circle back to main trunks. Is this sound construction? Anything I can do here to minimize noise transmition to the rest of house through HVAC?

3. Combination of the two- Here I would set it up the same as option 1, where it differs is that I would add a Y to the send flex tube in the adjacent room b/w the fan and HT. I would then add another flex tube to that Y and attach the other end to the main trunk. I would then add a damper b/w the Y and main trunk. I can close the damper in winter when the HVAC is supplying heat, but still get cooler air from the adjacent room by turning fan on. In the summer, I can open the damper to get the cooler air conditioned air and turn off the fan. I could also open the damper to varying degrees to fine tune the theater temperature. Now with this approach not sure if I should do the same to the return and tie it to the main return trunk with a Y as well?

Any other ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBxbIr6yuSQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-04-2012, 03:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
A lot of missing information needs to be filled in before people can jump in and help. For example what area of the world is this home, is the equipment, projector going to be in the same room or elsewhere, how many seats will be in the room....

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

A lot of missing information needs to be filled in before people can jump in and help. For example what area of the world is this home, is the equipment, projector going to be in the same room or elsewhere, how many seats will be in the room....

Home is in WI, the only equipment in the room will be the Epson 8500 projector. Two rows of three but will mainly just be 1 person in the room. On occasion a few more.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page