Basic Family Room Audio Design/Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm doing a small extension to my house and one addition is a 17x12 family room. Keep in mind that this is not a dedicated home theater room or anything like that. Just a family room/den that will have a TV and hopefully a nice 5.1 or 7.1 audio setup. I'm attaching a picture of the room drawing but there's really no detail to it. It's just a rectangle with windows and a large opening. The flooring will be hardwood, possible with a rug, and it will be built on top of a crawl space.

I'm trying to figure out how to design the rear speakers. I assume I'll just use a standard center channel and front speaker set (either bookshelf or floor standing depending on budget) together with the TV stand on the top wall in the middle (part by the 11'7" in the picture). But I don't want wires or clutter for the rear speakers. I'm figuring that the couch/seating will run parallel with the top wall about 13' or so away from the top wall.

Initially I was planning in wall speakers on the sides for the 5.1 surrounds and then in wall speakers on the back wall for the 7.1 surrounds. But as you see the opening to the room is on the left side so I can't use in wall speakers where no wall exists. So my current thought process is to put in-ceiling speakers for the 5.1 surrounds above the ends of the couch and then still use the in-wall speakers on the back wall behind the couch to complete the 7.1 surround sound.

So any comments on the above? How would the in ceiling and in wall speakers mesh? Should I just dump the 7.1 idea and go with 5.1, and if so which sets of speakers do I dump?

I'm not doing personally (not that handy) doing any of the actual construction but will probably do the speaker wiring for the 4 rear speakers. I'll do the wiring before the drywall goes up so I'm not imagining too many issues there and I might even use brackets for the in-wall and in-ceiling speakers so I don't have to cut any drywall after the fact. Any thoughts on the project? Any thing I'm missing here?

Thanks for all the help.

Family Room.jpg 21k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Family Room.jpg (21.2 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 359
(probably belongs in the General Home Theater forum below...)

Positioning for 7.1 in a non-dedicated theater is tough, and yes, the ceiling is a good solution. In-ceiling speakers are NOT known for their sound quality, but they can do fine for the surround channels. If your seating will allow you to position 4 ceiling speakers for 7.1, go for it. But I wouldn't mix in-wall and in-ceiling for those channels - do all of them in the ceiling or on the walls.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 Old 10-05-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice.

Sorry about the wrong forum. I don't see how I can move the thread. Is it something I can do or should I just repost on the general forum?

Edit: I've reposted in the general forum. Any moderator, please lock this thread. Sorry for the mixup.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page