new hometheater contruction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi im building my new home theater, this is the seating arrangment im thinking on doing need help regarding the screen size i could get in that room. height is around 9 1\2 Ft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Are you planning on a 16:9 screen or a widescreen 2.35:1 ratio?

8 Feet 3 Inches to the screen from the front row is kinda close. Personally, I would not go any wider than about 90" wide... (about 100" diagonal)

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #3 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

ill like 2:35 but im worried that when gaming the screen on 16 by 9 is going to be to small by the size of the screen what do you think? maybe 106? if 2:35 by 1 what would you think i could get in that setup. dont want to take the first row out because ill loose half of the seats.
post #4 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Pick your projector, get it mounted, then test the screen size by using a blank wall or a sheet of white photographer backdrop paper, before you order a screen. 8' is pretty close to the screen, highly recommended you test some sizes to see what your preference is. I agree with Dmark1 that you probably don't want to go larger than 100" diag given that distance. My 108" at 10' viewing distance is plenty big...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
You will also need to choose your screen material carefully, as some will have a visible weave at that distance. As others have mentioned, get your pj and test different sizes. Also get samples of different screen fabrics so you can test those as well. I don't know much about the new 4K screen fabrics except that they are very smooth (no visible weave) compared to some others out there.

I'm assuming you are doing in-wall speakers behind an AT screen, since floor standing speakers don't really work with your door placement.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 90

At 8' I can see the weave in my Semour XD material.....  At 10' and beyond I cannot......  Looking at your drawing it looks like your not using AT though?

Good advice here already just some comments:

• mount projector and experiment
  • order samples of the screen materials your considering
  • your zoom on the projector might come into play for maximum screen size.  For example My AE4000 is maxed out on zoom when shooting a 120" 2.37 @15'.  IOW, thats the largest 2.37 I can get with that throw distance.
  • Your room is nearly square and your tolerances don't leave any real estate avail for bass trapping or other acoustic treatments
  • I have four seats in my theater and can count on both hands how many times I've filled all the seats.....(Disclaimer:  My friends are dead beats). ;)

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #7 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

I HAVE A BIG FAMILY, SO NEED THE XTRA SEATS , iF THATS POSSIBLE. SO MAYBE 100 INCH SCREEN AND I THINK IF GO 100 NEED TO BE 16:9 BECAUSE IF I GO WITH 2:35 WHEN GOING TO 16:9 ILL LOOSE LOTS OF SCREEN .
FOR SPEAKERS I THINK ILL GET A LEON CUSTOM MADE SOUNDBAR STLYLE WITH THE 3 FRONTS SPEAKERS...
post #8 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
With a projector and 8 people, that room will get stuffy fast so be sure you plan your HVAC accordingly. I'm assuming your rack will be outside the room?
post #9 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 AM

Are you deadset on using recliners? If not, you could squeeze a lot more space for the front row, probably to 10' viewing distance with either couches or true movie theater seats. With the movie theater seats, your front row would be further back, you probably could fit even more seats if needed and then also go with a larger screen. For example, if you wanted 100" 16:9, I would do 115" wide 2.35:1 and get your 100" 16:9 image within that. Food for thought.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

rack is going to be in my av space, ,just going to have a bluray at the theater but everything else on the rack on another room. ill prefer recliner but maybe can put a coach on the back row with same design..hvac is going to be a panasonic split system 24k btu for the room
post #11 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Calculating screen size is not that difficult. I would NOT repeat NOT go out and just buy a projector and start testing sizes. You can calculate everything you need on paper BEFORE you go out and buy new toys and potentially waste money. Start at a subtended angle of 15 degrees from the position of the back row, but first you need to know the best place to put your seating based on room modes and number of subs you plan to have in the room. Once that is finalized, then you can calculate screen size, but it may need to be adjusted based on the needed positioning of your front speakers. Do not compromise audio quality for visual impact. Remember, film is 50% video 50% audio with audio really leaving the greatest impression. Focus on that part first; the rest will follow with it. That said, your two doors in the front are in bad spots.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #12 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

yeah i know regarding the doors, but one has a structural column right next to it and the other one is also needed. i was thinking on doing maybe a custom soundbar from leon with the right , left and center, and using 2 of ther 8 inch sub that they dont take to much space.but have a nice sound, amplfiers for it can go on rack.. but im really open to sugestions
post #13 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

i live in panama, so all the walls are concrete blocks, so moving them is complicated, and also cant do like inwalls on the front because of the doors..they use to open to the inside of the room, that i already fix
post #14 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

Calculating screen size is not that difficult. I would NOT repeat NOT go out and just buy a projector and start testing sizes. You can calculate everything you need on paper BEFORE you go out and buy new toys and potentially waste money.

+1... Shawn, I didn't mean to suggest that it was appropriate to do it backwards. My statement should have said that, AFTER doing the projector/seating placement/layout research and calculations, do the screen testing to *validate* the size based on your preference. Certainly folks shouldn't pick/purchase a projector without knowing what the size *should be*! My blanket statement was based on conversations here where folks tend to want big, big, big (the screen, not The Man). A bit of after-the-fact testing can at least save them from a bad screen purchase...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #15 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

what should i use for acoustic treatments, for front wall and sides /rear?
tks
post #16 of 16 Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There is no cookie cutter approach. To answer it honestly, no one can tell you unitl the room is completely laid out with respect to screen, seating and speakers.. Lay it all out on paper. Calculate everything you can, chose equipment that meets those calculations, then decide what treatment you need and where. If you want to DIY your design, be prepared to do lots and lots of research. There's some good info on the site.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page