Sound proof screen wall with bedroom - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-07-2012, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay quick question for you sound experts out there. My wife and I are building our new construction house, they just finished roughing in the electrical, and I am wondering if there is anything I can do for my setup. The main living room where my a/v gear will be just so happens to be setup that the screen wall shares the master bedroom wall. To make it worse, the headboard will more than likely go against this same wall. My wife goes to bed early, and I sometimes like to stay up, watch some tv, ect.... I am toying with the idea of doing some kind of soundproofing so that the tv sound doesn't bother her in the bedroom. I'm considering using a double drywall with green glue method, but then wondered if having in-wall speakers would negate any attempt of soundproofing on the bedroom side? Its not like I would have the system turned up too loud, I AM kinda considerate... wink.gif So I'm just wondering if the effort is going to be wasted, or if we should just use some sort of white noise machine in the bedroom? Thanks for the input!

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 70
There are lots of sound control items out there and different ways to skin this cat. You can easily build something that will knock out higher frequencies but the deep low bass is much more difficult. I'm using Kinetics Noise Control's Isomax clips as well as Acoustiblock 3mm barrier. Both websites show the charts and STC levels (measured reduction in sound). I just posted some pics of the Acoustiblock on my build; http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406831/hawaii-home-theater-construction/60#post_22472729

Just do a bunch of reading and I think you will find several different solutions. It just depends on how much sound you want to reduce (and at what frequencies) and how much time and effort (and materials) you want to throw at that wall. Good luck
post #3 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 03:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
STC ratings are not appropriate for audio playback spaces. Indeed many such ratings hide increased low frequency transmission over other products/assemblies with what would appear to be lower STC values.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #4 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Right, and I would not spec MLV except to wrap ducts, pipe or other curved surfaces. Decoupling is good, just take care with the clip selection

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page