Riser with Buttkicker LFE's, Buttkicker Advanced in chairs, or both? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've never experienced Buttkickers in a home theater so I'm a bit confused. Which setup would be considered optimal?

1.Three Buttkicker LFEs on a riser (mine will be a 13.5ft wide by 6.5 ft deep riser)
2.Individual Buttkicker BK4-4 in each chair
3.Both eek.gif

Also, my room is small and will only have one row of 5 seats on a riser (bean bags or overflow seating in front when needed). This gives me the option of mounting the Buttkickers on top of the riser (behind seating) if that is the better way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I would recommend Buttkickers in each chair. Had these in my old theatre (factory installed in Berkline recliners), and they worked great! I had 2 Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs in the room.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I think it depends a lot on your subs. I have the buttkickers in my front row and nothing in the seats on the riser. The seats on the riser are still more tactile due to the subs shaking the riser. I initially planned to have buttkickers in all seats but it just wasn't needed for the seats on the riser.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmonkey2000 View Post

I think it depends a lot on your subs. I have the buttkickers in my front row and nothing in the seats on the riser. The seats on the riser are still more tactile due to the subs shaking the riser. I initially planned to have buttkickers in all seats but it just wasn't needed for the seats on the riser.

For now I'll have a PB13 Ultra in the front and an MBM12 behind the seating on the riser. The MBM is great for mid bass tactile feel but I don't think the SVS sub will have as much effect on the riser as a set of Buttkickers. I'm likely going to add a second PB13 in the front so I'd imagine two Ultras, an MBM, and some Buttkickers will get the job done in a 2200 cubic foot room.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
The buttkicker will extend much lower than those subs so it might be beneficial to have them on the riser. I have 4 18" subs so they have no trouble really moving the riser. I worried that installing buttkickers on the riser could actually be out of phase with the vibration caused by the subs and lessen the effect.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-15-2012, 02:53 PM

Liked: 11
I installed a buttkicker in a two-seat reclining couch that sits on a riser (I built a false floor on the couch where I installed the buttkicker to ensure thorough transference throughout the couch because the frames of the two seats were largely disconnected). Having a buttkicker within the furniture provide all the shake you will want. There is no need at all for buttkickers in the couch AND on the riser.

Regardless of where you choose to install your buttkickers, the main thing you MUST do is use proper rubber isolators. If you install on the riser, the riser must rest on rubber isolators. If you install in your couch, your couch must rest on rubber isolators. It can't be just any rubber either. I tried a couple varieties before finally going with the isolators Buttkicker sells on their site. The ones Buttkicker sold me worked much, much better. Isolators enable accurate articulation and movement of whatever the buttkicker is attached to. Without the isolators, that movement is lost. I had to turn my buttkickers up to 75% power to get the same movement that 25% power provides with isolators. Not only that, but the movement with isolators is much more accurate and believable.

Each Buttkicker LFE comes with 5 of their smallest size rubber isolators, but these are usually insufficient for a couch because under too much weight they overcompress and fail to do their job. They may, however, work okay for each individual chair (if they are light enough). If those don't work, you can buy the next larger size of isolators, which are great. Don't do that, however, unless you can see the smaller size overcompressing. It was very noticeable on mine.

If you go the riser route, you'll need to buy much larger and more expensive rubber isolators for the riser to rest on. How many and where you put them will depend on the size of the riser and the weight of the objects it will support.
LeBon likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page