Thoughts on this door? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Today I received a quote for the floowing door.

"cinema door will be a 3' x 8', 1-3/4" solid ash door with a 6-5/8" frame. The unit will have a threshold and weather stripping, and will swing open to the..... ....."

This will be the theaters entry door seperating it from the family room. Does this sound like a good option for the door?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 45
Depends ... what's the cost of the door, what are you trying to achieve, whose/what seals are included/installed? Just because it is called "Cinema Door" doesn't imply it will meet your objectives.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #3 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post

Depends ... what's the cost of the door, what are you trying to achieve, whose/what seals are included/installed? Just because it is called "Cinema Door" doesn't imply it will meet your objectives.

The cost of the door is $1200 without finish. The weatherstripping will likely be standard type used on entry doors. He's going to email me a pick of the threshold (will know prior to purchasing). He called it a cinema door to specify what room it is for (he is designing our entry door, library door, and gates). As far as what we are trying to achieve, I'd like a reasonable level of effectiveness in sound isolation. For example, one of my previous home's theater had a similarly sealed door but used a garage entry door. I felt it was very effective though not aesthetically appealing. I dont want to have the solid ash door installed and find it is no better than a $300 solid core interior Masonite door. He was recommending the two door configuration to seal the room.
post #4 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

The cost of the door is $1200 without finish.

eek.gifeek.gif My wife would have put an end to my build right then and there. Now I can't say for sure how effective my door is yet since my room is not complete but since you said that "you are looking for a reasonable level of effectiveness in sound isolation", I have to think that what I have (and many others too) would be just what you are looking for. My door is a 3' x 80" Masonite solid particleboard core with a 7"+ frame and exterior weatherstripping around the door stop. I also plan to install the adjustable bottom door seals sold by the soundproofing company. I purchased two doors and the bottom seals for each for just over half of the price for your one door. Now unless this door has some architectual details to it that match the rest of the house or something I think you might be better off with a solid core option and save a few bucks. Just my $.02.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

eek.gifeek.gif My wife would have put an end to my build right then and there. Now I can't say for sure how effective my door is yet since my room is not complete but since you said that "you are looking for a reasonable level of effectiveness in sound isolation", I have to think that what I have (and many others too) would be just what you are looking for. My door is a 3' x 80" Masonite solid particleboard core with a 7"+ frame and exterior weatherstripping around the door stop. I also plan to install the adjustable bottom door seals sold by the soundproofing company. I purchased two doors and the bottom seals for each for just over half of the price for your one door. Now unless this door has some architectual details to it that match the rest of the house or something I think you might be better off with a solid core option and save a few bucks. Just my $.02.

The rest of the home will have the 8ft solid fibercore doors (included in the cost of the build). If adding weatherstripping an a threshold to that is nearly as effective I'd save the entire $1200.
post #6 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Based on my research on here for my own door situation I think you will be fine if you seal up the solid core door well enough. I think your next step would be adding the second door if you require more isolation.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another reason for the additional cost, they are using a diamond shaped panel on the lower part of the door to match the pattern used in the cabinetry. There's also a forged iron "Cinema" that will be attached at the upper panel.
The deciding factor will be whether or not a solid 1 3/4 MDF door like Masonite will have the same STC rating as a solid ash 1 3/4 door.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Can you get an estimated weight of the two doors? All things equal, that is the seals and door framing are the same or similar, then it will really come down to mass. The heavier door should perform better. If they're close to the same weight, I'd spend that $1,200 somewhere else.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #9 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to this: http://www.stanleyhardware.com/default.asp?TYPE=STATICLEFT&PAGE=cht_weight.htm&LEFT=left_cht_weight.htm

A 1 3/4 solid ash door is approx 5 lbs per sq ft
A 1 3/4 solid core is 4 1/2 lbs per sq ft
post #10 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I would save the cash and buy a second door. An acoustic door with "weatherstrip" isn't one to write home to mom about

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #11 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

I would save the cash and buy a second door. An acoustic door with "weatherstrip" isn't one to write home to mom about

The solid core door option is a "Safe N Sound 1 3/4 in. solid core molded panel". For a double door would I just request two of these? What would I do for seals and threshold(s) for the pair?
post #12 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What about the option of the single Masonite paired with these: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing-products/door-bottom-jamb-stop/ ?

If this is a good option, do they make the seals in 8 ft door heights?
post #13 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

That would be good, yes. Not sure if they have 96" S&S. Or get a door from Dennis that actually works

Ted

post #14 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post

That would be good, yes. Not sure if they have 96" S&S. Or get a door from Dennis that actually works

The safe n sound is available in 8 ft height. Are the seals available for an 8ft door?
post #15 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Absolutely

Ted

post #16 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The Safe n Sound door does not have as much mass as a solid particleboard core door. I forget the exact numbers but for my 3'x80" door I think the Safe n Sound weighed in around 60 lbs where as the solid particleboard core weighed in around 80-85 lbs. The mineral core door was over 90 lbs but ended up being too much money for me to justify the added expense. The safe n sound core is constructed of wheat straw fibers vs. heavier particleboard.
post #17 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Vanice, that is good info. I thought the S&S door slab was particleboard core... hmmm...

You want the heaviest slab

Ted

post #18 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Safe n Sound door does not have as much mass as a solid particleboard core door. I forget the exact numbers but for my 3'x80" door I think the Safe n Sound weighed in around 60 lbs where as the solid particleboard core weighed in around 80-85 lbs. The mineral core door was over 90 lbs but ended up being too much money for me to justify the added expense. The safe n sound core is constructed of wheat straw fibers vs. heavier particleboard.

That's about 3lb per sq ft (math may be off) right? I would gain approx 2lb per sq foot opting for solid ash.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, unless you ask for a solid particleboard core door (which would be back to about 4+lbs per sqft). It will be a little more expensive than the safe n sound but well worth it for the added mass. Just for reference, I paid just over $300 for my 1 3/4" thick 3/0x6/8 Masonite door w/ 7 7/16" poplar exterior jamb with compression weatherstrip, no sill, and (3) 4x4 hinges. And the millwork place delivered it to me. smile.gif
post #20 of 24 Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
You could always just order a radiation shielded door. Even the standard medical use 3/32" leaded door will weigh nearly 200 lbs. Lol. Never priced one of those. Of course doors are also offered with 1/2" lead in them... that's well over half a ton!

post #21 of 24 Old 10-19-2012, 03:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

I don't believe you're going to gain much with that $1200.00 door. Option 2 would be communicating doors ... the challenge then is to match the rest of the doors in the house. Third option is one of our custom doors (we can match your others); but, it would be more than $1200.00.

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #22 of 24 Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My wife wasnt too excited about the double door concept. We ended up ordering the ash door (designed also matched cabinetry pattern) and scrapped the threshold/seal option and ordering the seals and door bottom from soundproofing co. John recommended I buy the door from you.
post #23 of 24 Old 10-19-2012, 09:59 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Yes, unless you ask for a solid particleboard core door (which would be back to about 4+lbs per sqft). It will be a little more expensive than the safe n sound but well worth it for the added mass. Just for reference, I paid just over $300 for my 1 3/4" thick 3/0x6/8 Masonite door w/ 7 7/16" poplar exterior jamb with compression weatherstrip, no sill, and (3) 4x4 hinges. And the millwork place delivered it to me. smile.gif

These are some numbers I got from Masonite recently:

Safe'N Sound
1 3/8" x 34" x 80" 47 lbs

Particle Core
1 3/8" x 34" x 80" 72 lbs

They also gave me numbers for the 1 3/4" particle core but couldn't provide any for 1 3/4" SafeN' Sound.
post #24 of 24 Old 10-21-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Erskine Group door .... 300+ lbs. smile.gif

Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
CEDIA Board of Directors